Customer Service 866.965.0400

Matt's '07 F-150

mblouir

I'm posting this before I go die. My back is killing me and I'm about to pass out. Every muscle on my body is cramping. I was on my first coat of wax and one of my fingers cramped sideways. I was like what the heck? :lol:

I busted butt and did the entire detail in one day. Normally I spread this out over two days, but I managed to do it all today, including the interior.

Here's how it went down.....it's kind of all over the place, so see if you can follow:

:willy:

• Clean trash out of interior
  • Thoroughly vacuum interior
  • Take latex gloves and wipe persistant dog hair
  • Vacuum dog hair bundled up from glove swiping
  • Briefly wiped down upholstery/seats with dry towel to remove loose dog hair
  • Used Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner to clean all upholstery, door panels, and seats
  • Used Stoner's glass cleaner (had just bought a can two weeks ago) to clean all interior glass
  • Used Adam's Leather Conditioner to protect leather seats, upholstery, and door panel
  • Cleaned WeatherTech mats with Adam's All-Purpose Cleaner and scrubbed with Adam's fender brush
  • Did the same thing to removable cup holders
  • After drying reinstalled mats and cup holders
  • Cleaned wheels/tires/wheel wells/undercarriage/exhaust tips with Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner/APC/fender brush/boar's hair wheel brush/power stick
  • Cleaned engine bay with Adam's APC/fender brush
  • Washed truck with Adam's Car Wash + JUMBO wash pads (these things are freaking huge)
  • Dressed engine bay with Adam's Super VRT/In & Out Spray
  • Clayed entire truck (about died when I did my roof)
  • Dressed tires/wheels/trim with Adam's Super VRT
  • Dressed undercarriage with Adam's Undercarriage Spray
  • Did a test section to determine my method (two passes with Adam's green pad+SHR, one pass with orange pad+SHR, one pass with white pad+FMP)
  • Polished entire truck....by the end my back was killing me and I was counting down panels
  • Left polish between each step and after completion
  • Cleaned exterior glass with Stoner's glass cleaner
  • Sealed glass with Adam's Glass Sealant
  • Cleaned sealant residue with Stoner's glass cleaner
  • Wiped off polish residue
  • Applied Adam's Brilliant Glaze
  • Applied Adam's Americana wax....this stuff is amazing
  • Waited ~30 minutes, applied second coat of Americana
  • Took a few pictures, parked truck in the road (away from sappy trees)
  • Came in, loaded pictures, posted this, passed out

I didn't get after shots like I wanted as the sun was too far gone by the time I had applied the second coat of wax. Not to mention that I just sold my awesome lens (Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8.....:drool:), so I was stuck using my 50mm, which makes it difficult to get good shots in such a confined area.

Not all imperfections are gone, but I'd estimate that 90% of the swirl marks are eliminated. My truck and polishing methods are always a work in progress. My roommate came out and said it looked awesome....to which my reply was "well it's far from perfect, but it will do." Sucks being OCD... :D

First pictures are a before/after of my rear bumper, where I was rear-ended in a parking lot a few weeks ago. It's far from perfect, as I discovered that the paint was scraped a bit. Not down to the metal or primer, but enough to prevent complete correction. I think it's much, much better, though.

5521313176_a5ee9e09bf_b.jpg

5521308074_9e7176deb7_b.jpg

Next pictures are some random before shots showing the condition of the truck/paint.....pretty nasty.

5521291990_ceaa1e9bb6_b.jpg

Recently removed custom FX4 decals....

5520685373_8384596032_b.jpg

5520696093_874922bbc9_b.jpg

5521281852_dcd437b863_b.jpg

5520669801_9c59d48ff3_b.jpg

5521242078_4137854c5f_b.jpg

5520659339_20ffac9592_b.jpg

5520664135_e7686c195b_b.jpg

5521266888_5d44aaa7e3_b.jpg

5520680145_9e450ffddf_b.jpg

Next are two pictures of the engine bay after it was dressed (darn 50mm lens).

5520711629_cee65eacaa_b.jpg

5521297258_108124ebbb_b.jpg

Next two pictures show me testing the method I'd need to get the paint in the condition I wanted it in (within a reasonable time frame).

5521320340_977b314864_b.jpg

5521316664_ec251e091b_b.jpg

Now a few random after shots. I'm very pleased with how it turned out for a 1-day detail. It's so glossy it's like a mirror! I'm 100% satisfied with my BG/Americana purchase now. :thumbsup:

5520806591_e39a73c743_b.jpg

5520802109_f2121ccf52_b.jpg

5520811237_1e52aee759_b.jpg

Roommate caught me!

5520735045_dc6c0409f6_b.jpg

5521331694_d457208276_b.jpg

5521337822_39d3f13e96_b.jpg

5520753287_a06fe4c413_b.jpg

5521352014_17434d54b5_b.jpg

5520766769_b5ff797eb6_b.jpg

5521416234_2a499253ff_b.jpg

5520772563_831d9834de_b.jpg

It was a beautiful day for it, but there was no cloud cover. I could feel my face and arms being scorched. You guys think I got burned?

IMG_20110312_193036-1.jpg

I'm so happy I came back to Adam's products. All of my old stuff is used up except for the Stoner's glass cleaner. :2thumbs:

Nice turnaround Matt! :2thumbs:

You're a glutton for punishment to tackle all that in one day!

Now it's time to get those ladies back and take some more pictures :glasses:

(of course no one knows what I'm talking about since you changed your avatar!)

Thanks guys!

the truck looks great and so does that FARMERS TAN! :lol::lol:

I wear tank tops a lot so it's nothing new. Farmer's tan just reporting for duty. :jester:

Nice turnaround Matt! :2thumbs:

You're a glutton for punishment to tackle all that in one day!

Now it's time to get those ladies back and take some more pictures :glasses:

(of course no one knows what I'm talking about since you changed your avatar!)

Yes I'm hurting a lot right now, but it was definitely worth it.

Yeah no one is going to know since the avatar is gone. :D

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! :rockon:

Looks good, that black really pops!!

Edit: I said poops instead of pops. LOL

I saw that. :jester:

That truck looks a TON better now! Good work and don't let it get that way again!

Definitely not! Graduated in December so no more major workloads to keep me busy. :banana:

Guest Uncle Jesse

Looks awesome! Did you use a power buffer/da or was that all muscle? I have to do mine with all arm.. sucks. Can't wait to buy a house with a garage...

Looks awesome! Did you use a power buffer/da or was that all muscle? I have to do mine with all arm.. sucks. Can't wait to buy a house with a garage...

Thanks! I used a Porter Cable. I get sore enough claying the darn thing....there's no way I'd try to polish it all by hand. I got sore even using the PC. :willy:

I try and eat a banana or two before I start, and also stretch out like I am warming up to pitch a game of baseball. Why?

Why not! You are "working out" no sense in not stretching you know? Also, stretch when you are finished. Helps with soreness.

Wow Matt, amazing job - BIG truck, lots of paint to clay and polish. Now that's clean and shiny, doing a little maintenance every quarter or 6 months will be a lot better. The first claying is a killer, but after that it is a lot easier and faster.

Thanks! I used a Porter Cable. I get sore enough claying the darn thing....there's no way I'd try to polish it all by hand. I got sore even using the PC. :willy:

Dude, claying the truck takes FOREVER!!!!! I can't even switch hands because my left hand is too um.. stupid to work right.:help: We need a power clayer!! (Not sure that's even a word but I sticking to it!)

Thanks again, guys. Black is my favorite color when it's clean. It's just too darn hard to keep it that way. :D

How many hours was that total? I spent about 17 on my Superduty's exterior a couple months ago, claying it was horrible.

Mmmm probably 10 or so, but I didn't take a single break. The only stopping I did was to pound down some ice cold water out of a gallon jug. Keeping the pace up helped a lot, but I would rather have had two days to do it. Just short on time at the moment. Starting a new job next week so I wanted the truck to look good. :glasses:

Dude, claying the truck takes FOREVER!!!!! I can't even switch hands because my left hand is too um.. stupid to work right.:help: We need a power clayer!! (Not sure that's even a word but I sticking to it!)

I know, right?! It's such a huge job, especially climbing up to do the roof. I'd be in to buy a power clayer, if such a thing was ever invented. I think you get credit for coining the term. :cheers:

Claying took me a good 3 hours, I had stuff embedded from hell to breakfast :lol:

Claying took me a good 3 hours, I had stuff embedded from hell to breakfast :lol:

It's especially rough if it's been a while since it's been clayed. Luckily I had done mine only half a year or so ago. I couldn't imagine doing a Superduty. :willy:

Archived