Customer Service 866.965.0400

long streak of bad luck

MAYBEN

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update: I just typed out a detailed update and my d-a-m-n laptop closed the page so I will just put cliffnotes

contractor company seemed shady, cancelled contract, owner said he would come do the work, and if they did a good job, I was to pay, they came Monday and didnt have the permit yet, wanted to start, I said not without permit, they said not needed to start demolition, I called town hall, they said $2000 fine if they start without it, they agreed to come back when permit is ready.. I felt very uncomfortable, spoke to owner, he agreed to cancel and refund my money since I wasnt comfy, and then asked for the permit $ as if he paid already, which was a lie, I was at town hall and saw the permit, un-paid, and I put a note for it not to be released without my permission.. he said ok..

I have yet to see the refund, a dispute has been filed with my cc company, and I do have a signed paper stating the contract has been cancelled and all $ will be refunded..

anyways, before hiring another company, I try a couple things, and today I figured I would take a gamble and see if foundation is cracked...

IMG-20110515-00204.jpg

IMG-20110515-00203.jpg

IDK if that is whats causing the water to come in or not, or if its coming in from underneath where the flooring hits the foundation walls..

as you can see, the previous owner tried to cover up the existing issues, I will be talking to the building inspector tomorrow to see if anything can be done against the previous owner for covering up known issues..

I will also see if I can get a foundation contractor to come in and take a look..

I am definitely trying, but I may need the French Drains.. I will however 're-finish' the basement myself, as we do need the living space.. we would like to start a family soon..

my father-in-law asked me to detail his wife's MKX, I am just awaiting decent weather.. I would have done it this week with the beautiful weather, but I injured my wrist last Monday.. we shall see how this week is, but theres supposed to be tons of rain.. not sure how much he will be paying me for it, but I will probably chalk it up to experience.. he also mentioned he has some things he will have me do for some extra $$, ie: painting his trailers, etc.. we shall see what happens this week, weather permitting..

That's great. I hope I see a post on here about that detail. How the heck did you hurt your wrist? Last night it was pouring here. Lightning really bad. Struck the house next to me. I thought it was a hurricane. My trash can was blowing into the street and my back yard flooded. I had a a little plastic cooler that was floating around with a fruit rat on top. I laughed so hard. I wish I took a picture of it.

it was very bad this morning, the thunder was EXTREMELY LOUD, I thought there definitely would have been some calls..

I injured my wrist last week at our weekly drill, not sure exactly what I did, but felt it later than night..

Ahh I see well take care of that wrist. Gonna need it for that detail. Yea it was bad. Im not sure if the store that hit use yesterday headed north up the coast. I would take advantage of the weather since it wont be sunny. Do you have a garage?

Hi Nick things will get better when i was in my 20's my mum and dad died i had a serious crash on the motorway found out i had a major illness and 2 big operations also lost my job but i came out the other side stronger.

what i believe is what doesnt kill you can only make you stronger. Things will get better and you will look back and laugh.

Edited by Billyt

• 5 weeks later...

Update:

Basement is still a problem, I am getting less water, but still getting some.. It looks like I will be getting the French Drains installed.. I need to get the basement done so we can start to re-organize our house and live normal again..

as far as unemployment is concerned, I accepted an Inside Sales/Applications Engineer position today.. seems like a good company to work for.. I have my own office.. I start in two weeks, pending a background check and drug test...

Update:

Basement is still a problem, I am getting less water, but still getting some.. It looks like I will be getting the French Drains installed.. I need to get the basement done so we can start to re-organize our house and live normal again..

as far as unemployment is concerned, I accepted an Inside Sales/Applications Engineer position today.. seems like a good company to work for.. I have my own office.. I start in two weeks, pending a background check and drug test...

Dang Nick, you have definately been through the ringer. Although I don't know you except for these boards, I feel really bad for you after reading your first post from a few months ago. Glad to here that you found a job. I hope you enjoy it and it lasts along time. Keep working your *ss off! I'm glad you are not like a good chunk of American these days, who feel like they are entitled to things because they fall on hard times. Trust me, I started out as an E-1 making $800 a month, and have busted my *** for 15 years with our motest pay. I'm not complaining by any means, as I know the economy doesn't effect us as much as civilians because unfortunately, there's always wars going on.

Quick Story:

They had a story on the radio the other day that made me so f'in mad, I could hardly contain myself. A woman (She had a BS from UC Davis) worked for a lawfirm making 6 digits, and subsequently got laid off during the rough economy. She has been on unemployment for quite a while no (I can't remember timeframe, but it's about to run-out), but will not take ANY job that earned less than she was making. She said if she did that, she wouldn't be able to afford her 2 x $650 car payment, $3K mortgage, etc. So instead she would rather sponge off unemployment benefits. She actually said she was entitled to a higher paying job because of all her "10" years experience and her BS from a good school. Wow, this is what of people's view's are these days?????....let big daddy government pay the bill. The feeling of entitlement from people enrages me...

Sorry, I was just reliving that story and I was getting fired up. From how you describe it, you are busting your *** taking whatever comes your way....all with a positive attitude. :patriot: And it's hard working people like you, who's luck I hope changes one day. Keep your head up.

Update:

Drug test:willy:You probly should have quit sniffin the DS man