Customer Service 866.965.0400

i need a really good wheel cleaner...(audis/bmws)

3PedalMINI

Question

I have an Audi Q5 and a Mini and if any one has ever owned a Audi or a BMW product they know how miserable the brake dust is and if your not on top of it; it just becomes that much harder to clean.

I currently use Eagleone all tire cleaner but came to the conclusion tonight that this stuff is . As it is right now i use a microfiber stick cleaner (my rims are painted) and hit it once and get the bulk of the brake dust off and then i need to hit it again with cleaner to get the rest. I get maybe three washes out of one bottle of cleaner to help brake free the crap.

What do you guys recommend? i would like to only have to hit the wheel once with cleaner and have it do most of the work. As it sits right now with my current technique is exactly one hour from start to finsh to clean the audi's rims up.

9 answers to this question

Give the Green Wheel Cleaner a shot. The only things Adam's really offers that could be used in this situation are that and APC. Some people use the Car Shampoo to clean wheels but that's not going to be strong enough if you're already having problems. My G8 brakes seem to dust a lot and I've never had any problems with the GWC, but my wheels have never gotten as dirty as some of the BMWs I've seen out there. Just remember, if you try the GWC and aren't happy, that's what the 110% guarantee is for.

APC and ace power stick. Works great.

Not at full strength, if that is your choice. IT SHOULDNT BE.

Green Wheel Cleaner, the Powerstick, and the Boulder Blonde Brush. It does the job better than any of that OTC junk you are using now.

Green Wheel Cleaner. You can try everything that the local Autozone sells and not get close to the power of GWC. APC is actually stronger than GWC, but GWC is made to remove brake dust, but is gentler on the wheels. From the store site:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-436-adams-green-wheel-cleaner.aspx

Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner contains no butyl or petroleum distillates! Plus, our new Green Wheel Cleaner biodegrades 98% in less than 24 hours, protecting our surface waters from polluted storm drain runoff.

This is not a spray-on, hose-off cleaner. Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner requires agitation with a brush, sponge, or wash mitt to break the initial bond between the dirt and the wheel. Spray-on, hose-off type wheel cleaners are harsh, acid based cleaners that damage wheels over time. [/Quote]

Another thought, is it possible to wash the wheels more often? Maybe wash the wheels twice a week, and the body just once?

Keeping a good coat of machine super wax on the wheels helps a TON. It has nothing to do with the make of car; just that they use a more aggressive brake pad. You could switch them out with Ceramics and have MUCH less to almost no brake dust.

GWC has worked for me and my family. My dad has an E60 M5, X5, 335i, and Mini Cooper, and it works well on all of them.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Keeping a good coat of machine super wax on the wheels helps a TON. It has nothing to do with the make of car; just that they use a more aggressive brake pad. You could switch them out with Ceramics and have MUCH less to almost no brake dust.

GWC has worked for me and my family. My dad has an E60 M5, X5, 335i, and Mini Cooper, and it works well on all of them.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I agree... I MSW'd my old Audi's wheels and then just hit them with diluted GWC at ever wash. I was running aftermarket pads at that point, but the dust always came right off.

alright GWC or APC it is. ill try it out (need some APC anyway) and i suppose if GWC doesnt work it will get used on the Mini because they dont get as bad and i have black rims which help and spluge for IronX for the audi only.

Im going to get PC kit shortly and plan to detail the cars from top to bottom. I also plan on taking the wheels off both of them so it will be a good time to hit them with MSW. When i had my old mini with white rims i waxed them with NXT2.0 and had less then desirerable results. I will be the first one to come out and say that Eagle ones keep wheel clean spray does help alot with the audi's rims for the first couple days.

Ive been thinking about swaping the pads out on the audi for some ceramic ones but i love how well it brakes so i suppose its a trade off. (hell, the amount ive spent on wheel cleaner would have covered the cost of the pads+install:lolsmack:)

Archived