Customer Service 866.965.0400

To wash with dish soap or not...

jbizzle

Question

So I'm just trying to be prepared when I'm actually ready to start detailing the exterior of my car. I am getting mixed feedback if I should wash with dish soap or not. Not sure what actual prep work is needed before using Adam's Premium Hand Polish & Car Wax Kit.

Thanks

I'm a fan of IPA. There is a lot more control with this method. Your able to strip small areas and not get the harsh product on areas you don't want to touch IE..plastics. I will not be using the dawn method as I simply do not have enough time to finish a full car correction and get some protection on it (wax). 1 day is not enough time to do this task IMHO. So I do one panel at a time using the IPA and wash the

Whole car with Adams shampoo. This way there is never a time when any if my paint is left without sealant or wax.

I had to use ISPA the other day after the neighbor boy ran his hand down my car. I just sprayed it down, and wiped it off with a double soft, corrected the paint, and then reapplied a coat of MSW.

Good as new... Err wait... BETTER than new... lol

Chris

All this talk and no response from the Adam's peanut gallery? Wouldn't ya think Adam would make a quality sealant or wax removal product, specifically made for this purpose, maybe with a grapefruit scent?:drool:

I have a bottle of brand XXXX car shampoo that has a specific formula ratio of shampoo to water for removing wax. This is what I will use. I have no other use for it since discovering Adam's products. Dawn is for dishes or waking up at the crack of dawn, not for stripping wax off cars. :lolsmack:

I've read more lately that dawn can really dry out trim so I've switched a car wash that's designedto strip old wax when that's my goal. I feel like I remember hearing rumors of Adam's working on a strip wash as well.

Let me settle this.

Myth - "Dish soap will dry out your paint." It can't and it won't. The only concern here is the rubber, plastic, and vinyl trim. As Dawn is a degreaser to an extent it has a drying effect on these surfaces. Even then it would take excessive and irresponsible use to even BEGIN to have an impact on your trim. I'm talking allowing full strength dawn to dry on the trim... the concern about what Dawn is capable of doing to your car is greatly over exaggerated based on a lot of assumptions and bad information.

Now something to consider, UV rays, acid rain, and all other manner of things are bombarding these surfaces as well on a daily basis and have a much larger impact on their lifespan. As such you should be conditioning your trim, door seals, and other surfaces with a Super VRT on a regular basis anyways. A good, complete, detail will involve dressing your trim so if you're going to dress these areas after washing with dawn theres very little concern about 'drying out'.

If you're going to neglect the trim and not condition it, the combination of Dawn and exposure to the elements will greatly shorten its life, but none of us here are going to neglect dressing trim are we? If you are we'll be sending a mob with pitchforks and torches to find you. :D

Personally, I feel Dawn makes an excellent strip wash. You're generally only going to need to strip the finish 1 or 2 times a year anyways so use it in those circumstances and you'll be fine. We have considered coming up with a strip wash product of our own, but its not really on the short list of to do items at the moment so don't hold your breath unless something changes.

IPA is ultimately more effective at stripping but far less efficient. If you think about it the dawn washing is rolling a strip wash into a step you would have performed anyways - the initial wash. Wiping down with IPA is an entire added step to your detail and adding steps ads more time to your work and takes more enjoyment out (IMO)

I personally prefer an IPA wipe down for spot corrections. A door gets a scuff or scratch and I want to fix it. I get some rogue water spots from a splash on the truck on a hot day that won't come off without polishing. Things of that nature I can use IPA to strip ONE PANEL, correct it, then reapply protection. If I'm stripping the entire car an IPA wipe down just isn't efficient enough for my taste. Its tedious and time consuming versus just washing the car as you normally would, but switching your car soap for Dawn.

I'll also add consider adding a little APC to your Dawn wash mixture when stripping... remember APC is a degreaser like dawn and will help strip wax more effectively.

One last thing to consider... I've seen a lot of people go from Dawn wash and clay, then do another wash right behind that with Car Shampoo before really cleaning the buckets and wash pads completely. Getting dawn concentrate completely out of your wash media and bucket should be a big step in your process. Even small amounts of it will be degrading your wax if not removed from your wash pads so spend some serious time cleaning wash pads and buckets after a dawn wash.

Let me settle this.

Myth - "Dish soap will dry out your paint." It can't and it won't. The only concern here is the rubber, plastic, and vinyl trim. As Dawn is a degreaser to an extent it has a drying effect on these surfaces. Even then it would take excessive and irresponsible use to even BEGIN to have an impact on your trim. I'm talking allowing full strength dawn to dry on the trim... the concern about what Dawn is capable of doing to your car is greatly over exaggerated based on a lot of assumptions and bad information.

Now something to consider, UV rays, acid rain, and all other manner of things are bombarding these surfaces as well on a daily basis and have a much larger impact on their lifespan. As such you should be conditioning your trim, door seals, and other surfaces with a Super VRT on a regular basis anyways. A good, complete, detail will involve dressing your trim so if you're going to dress these areas after washing with dawn theres very little concern about 'drying out'.

If you're going to neglect the trim and not condition it, the combination of Dawn and exposure to the elements will greatly shorten its life, but none of us here are going to neglect dressing trim are we? If you are we'll be sending a mob with pitchforks and torches to find you. :D

Personally, I feel Dawn makes an excellent strip wash. You're generally only going to need to strip the finish 1 or 2 times a year anyways so use it in those circumstances and you'll be fine. We have considered coming up with a strip wash product of our own, but its not really on the short list of to do items at the moment so don't hold your breath unless something changes.

IPA is ultimately more effective at stripping but far less efficient. If you think about it the dawn washing is rolling a strip wash into a step you would have performed anyways - the initial wash. Wiping down with IPA is an entire added step to your detail and adding steps ads more time to your work and takes more enjoyment out (IMO)

I personally prefer an IPA wipe down for spot corrections. A door gets a scuff or scratch and I want to fix it. I get some rogue water spots from a splash on the truck on a hot day that won't come off without polishing. Things of that nature I can use IPA to strip ONE PANEL, correct it, then reapply protection. If I'm stripping the entire car an IPA wipe down just isn't efficient enough for my taste. Its tedious and time consuming versus just washing the car as you normally would, but switching your car soap for Dawn.

I'll also add consider adding a little APC to your Dawn wash mixture when stripping... remember APC is a degreaser like dawn and will help strip wax more effectively.

One last thing to consider... I've seen a lot of people go from Dawn wash and clay, then do another wash right behind that with Car Shampoo before really cleaning the buckets and wash pads completely. Getting dawn concentrate completely out of your wash media and bucket should be a big step in your process. Even small amounts of it will be degrading your wax if not removed from your wash pads so spend some serious time cleaning wash pads and buckets after a dawn wash.

Thank you!

Let me settle this.

Tanks for clearing this up! So, what is the proper Dawn/APC/water ratio to strip off the old stuff?:help:

Incidently, I'll use a wash mitt I am going to retire so it will see it's last wash with Dawn. Also I'll use a different bucket than I use for Adams wash. Thanks for the info Dylan as usual. Making lives easier through modern chemistry!

All this talk and no response from the Adam's peanut gallery? Wouldn't ya think Adam would make a quality sealant or wax removal product, specifically made for this purpose, maybe with a grapefruit scent?:drool:

:lolsmack:

Let's just say I wouldn't hold your breath, but if you did, you'd be able to breathe again someday... :2thumbs:

I personally use dawn. Your going to dry out your plastic and rubber with isop. before dawn. The isop. might do a better job but your doing your first correction, youll be claying anyways, there wont be any wax left by the time you start with the PC.

You do one panel at a time with Iso and DO NOT use it on plastic, rubber or vinyl. Just the paint.

Chris

hmm.. I may try the regular wash, then wipe down with the alcohol mix on my wife's Edge..

Good idea start with the wifes car then if you like it move onto your car lol. im gonna try it on uncles 2004 Dodge Dakota since I have to detail it anyways lol

I personally use dawn. Your going to dry out your plastic and rubber with isop. before dawn. The isop. might do a better job but your doing your first correction, youll be claying anyways, there wont be any wax left by the time you start with the PC.

I'm for the control you get with IPA/Water 50/50 - don't want to dry up my plastic or rubber. I also believe it significantly helps the correction when you start the process with bare paint - at least I noticed it the first time when I stripped the paint before starting correction - swirls seemed to come out a bit faster. Try it and judge the results for yourself.

Archived