Customer Service 866.965.0400

Used the PC for the first time today!

Vincenzo

Question

I had some extra time today and decided to try out the polishes for the first time ever.:pc:

I decided to do my mom's 2010 Honda Pilot. It is in rough shape. She has hit multiple things, backed into the side of the garage, etc. It has never even been hand washed before. :willy:

I really didn't have all day, so I just did the hood and one scratched panel on a door. It turned out amazing, although her car, even though it had never been treated properly, had almost no swirls at all. The only thing it had were actual scratches, most of which were too deep for the PC and a newbie to touch. I don't have any before pics, but I will have after pics hopefully tonight. Man, you guys should have seen how bad this thing was. It ate up my m-brand claybar ridiculously fast, and I only used it on the hood and 1 door!

Two questions though. Does the PC normally spit out little bits of polish dust? Because there was alot flying off of the pad, especially when the edge of the pad hit the washer nozzles and the door handle. Did I use too much? Not enough DS? Bad technique? Regardless, it still worked great. The other question I have is about Americana. Mine was really, really hard. I know it is supposed to be, and it did work really well, but I feel like it was almost as hard as a rock.

20 answers to this question

Sounds like polish build up and/or lack of Detail spray. Only 3 pea sized drops are all the product it usually takes for a 2x2' area. Don't get carried away and do too big of an area (it will be tougher to work it properly), and if you start seeing little chunks of SHR coming out, just use DS for a while on the pad and continue to polish as you would normally do. (the pad grooves may start looking shallow if the pad is starting to really load up with SHR). It doesn't take very much product, and the pad also does some of the work too.

Don't cross over the washer nozzles or door handles. If anything tape them off... they can easily take a big chunk out of a pad and ruin it. Polish around all things like that.

Glad you chimed in on that point. I was getting ready to post the same. Well not exactly the same, you always word things so much better than I ever could!:)

But in his reply he said he let it hit them. Don't even let the pad touch them. It will dust if you do. Even going over an edge will make the pad dust. At least it does when I do. I have been taping all the edges and seams to cut down on dusting and getting product into hard to clean areas.

No worries about the Americana, a thin film applied to the paint does the job. Trying to lay it on thick only makes it harder to remove and doesn't improve the look, and makes the pot last longer. Wait until you see the results. :)

It rained yesterday and I saw how awesome the water beaded on the Honda's hood. It was incredible.

I did actually try to lay it on a bit heavy at first, which didn't work too well. About how many uses do you get out of Americana? It seems like it would last a while, but I was just curious if anyone knows about how many times they have applied it before it ran out?

No worries about the Americana, a thin film applied to the paint does the job. Trying to lay it on thick only makes it harder to remove and doesn't improve the look, and makes the pot last longer. Wait until you see the results. :)

I didn't take it over the washer nozzles/door handles, I just got up against them.

So I went back and started looking over the scratches on her car, and most of them you can feel :(

I'm going to start on my car in 2 or 3 days. It will be raining all weekend unfortunately!

Getting up against them is a good way to ruin a pad :mad:

I didn't take it over the washer nozzles/door handles, I just got up against them.

So I went back and started looking over the scratches on her car, and most of them you can feel :(

I'm going to start on my car in 2 or 3 days. It will be raining all weekend unfortunately!

Two questions though. Does the PC normally spit out little bits of polish dust? Because there was alot flying off of the pad, especially when the edge of the pad hit the washer nozzles and the door handle. Did I use too much? Not enough DS? Bad technique? Regardless, it still worked great.

Don't cross over the washer nozzles or door handles. If anything tape them off... they can easily take a big chunk out of a pad and ruin it. Polish around all things like that.

The other question I have is about Americana. Mine was really, really hard. I know it is supposed to be, and it did work really well, but I feel like it was almost as hard as a rock.

Yep, thats exactly how its supposed to be. If you take your finger and rub it on the surface it will start to liquify, the same thing happens when you rub the applicator on it... its a hard paste wax... it should feel like a candle in the pot.

After your polishing session, spray the pads with apc, massage them with your fingers to loosen up the polish, rinse them out with clean water until the water runs clear, and then air dry them completely. Don't put them away if they are damp at all, as they will fall apart.

The 4 inch focus pads are your friend here... Get a decent drill and have at the scratches. Take it slow and easy until you get a handle on how to use it.

Gluck,

Chris

I am doing my mustang next weekend. I have 4 days off school so that should be enough. I will make sure to take all of you guy's advice so I can get it done better and more efficiently. I wish I had remembered to post pics, but I've been sick all day and am heading out the door right now.

My Americana in hard in the can as well, its normally firm. As long as it flows easy and covers nice your good to go. As for the spitting and dust, like Kevin said, DS prime, and DS the edges to cut down. Also after you do a section, use 3-4 sprays of DS to recharge the pad and hit the next section without adding more product. Try that next time around and you should see a lot less dust.

Thanks, forgot to tell him about spraying the edges. :cheers:

Oh, I didn't think to prime the edges of the pad. I just got most of it in the center. And adding no more product on the next section? Not even a little? I put on alot less, but I didn't even consider not putting ANY more on.

Using my PC I spray a mist of DS and put three small pea size drops on the pad, I do a 2x2 area, work it well, then spray a little DS but no product, work a little more, 3 small drops goes a long way and keeps the dust down and saves money.

Learn that from the Junkman and really works.

Oh, I didn't think to prime the edges of the pad. I just got most of it in the center. And adding no more product on the next section? Not even a little? I put on alot less, but I didn't even consider not putting ANY more on.

My Americana in hard in the can as well, its normally firm. As long as it flows easy and covers nice your good to go. As for the spitting and dust, like Kevin said, DS prime, and DS the edges to cut down. Also after you do a section, use 3-4 sprays of DS to recharge the pad and hit the next section without adding more product. Try that next time around and you should see a lot less dust.

Archived