Customer Service 866.965.0400

Vinyl stripes on a Camaro

gtfitter597

Question

13 answers to this question

I wouldn't use any of it myself. I got a bottle of the clear polish from Eric@thompson racing. It used for vinyl stripes and graphics. SHR could ruin them I would think and buttery wax would leave a white residue on the edges.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

On the gloss stripes actually YES you can use waxes to protect them.

I would advise you against using SHR as the stock vinyl is only top coated (not thru and thru) so if you remove too much material you'll actually show up white vinyl underneath.

Just apply a thin coat of buttery wax to them to keep them protected... if you notice any spots or defects use Fine Machine Polish or Revive Polish by hand to polish them out.

Tape them off, or don't cross the edges. You're not going to damage them if you do, but you will end up with product caked up agains the edge which will look unsightly.

Simply mask the stripes while you're working on the paint, then mask the paint when you're working on the stripes.

This is the grey area I run into after reading others posts, do I tape them off? Obviously you would want to get as close to them as possible. Would just like a definate answer from someone who has vinyl stripes.

You can tape them off to keep from getting a white border around them, similar to a clear bra, but beyond that follow Dylan's advice and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

**** I knew I shoulda just gotten a white car and had them painted. Its going to suck becuase there's that small outlining vinyl that's about 1/4" wide around the large stripes w/ 1/4" paint in between.

Well thanks for the fast responses, just spent too much money on products but it should be worth it!

I havent actually had time to wax and polish yet, but I plan on it sometime within a week after a previous thread I made earlier today.

I have stripes as well and a Camaro. From what I've read, use blue tape to cover the edges of the stripes. I've actually tested the SHR by hand and let me say, watch the edges! Looks really bad when a bright color gets stuck under the stripe or inside the car cracks! Annoying to get out too.

I actually have black matte stripes on mine. I put detail spray first on them but always got streaks on it. I'm going back and forth between brilliant glaze and in and out spray on them.

To me I like in and out better, definitely makes it pop without making it too glossy and taking away from the matte finish. Curious as to if there's a non spray solution as in and out runs out fast

Archived