Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex backing plate is shredding...

Mysticine

Question

So in the shade my car looks like perfect, like smooth glass... direct sunlight reveals "Swirlcity". I figured I'd give it a go working on it a little all week to remedy this. Last night I had no problems. Tonight however, I noticed some odd little black plastic pieces showing up on my car... then I noticed the backing plate on my Flex was shredding itself! A quick google search showed that someone else fixed this problem by ensuring that the center bolt was tightened. I checked mine and it didn't need tightened any.

Any idea what else could be causing this? FWIW, I use the Flex on "5" and hardly apply any pressure at all.

flex.jpg

22 answers to this question

Shawn,

If you purchased it from us give us a call today and we'll get you either a replacement backing plate or a new machine. We back these 110% so theres no need to worry about it - we got ya covered!

(866)965-0400

Adam's got your back Shawn!!:2thumbs:

Dylan, I took your advice, thank you. I really didn't see this as being an Adam's issue though, more of one with Flex directly. However, like I see time and time again Adam's Customer Service stepped up to the plate and nailed a grand slam.

Hopefully when you guys get it back you can figure out why my Flex was being a :loser:

You guys have a customer for life. :thumbsup:

Shawn,

If you purchased it from us give us a call today and we'll get you either a replacement backing plate or a new machine. We back these 110% so theres no need to worry about it - we got ya covered!

(866)965-0400

Hmm... I just had this happen as well... freaked me out... will be calling Customer Support tomorrow... kinda the last thing you want when correcting paint is bits of plastic getting tossed all over as the plastic in the backing plate melts and sheds itself....

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

Shawn,

(866)965-0400

That is quite amazing...customer service on a weekend.:patriot:

Dylan, I'm a novice at the whole machine polishing gig, but I'm seriously thinking about going straight for the Flex set-up. Seeing all the vids, and having some common sense (plus a white Accord to practice on), I believe I can handle the leap. I say this because I was wondering if this issue is common with the Flex? Have you seen it before, and is there preventative measures that you know of? When I get mine, I'd rather mitigate or solve the problem before it begins.

Thanks

Edit: Just noticed the thread started a month ago...haha

And Adam's Customer service WINS again! Called Adam's, had a nice chat with Lynn, then got a call from Dylan regarding replacement.... which he agreed to ship immediately! Also had an great chat with Dylan while discussing the Flex...

Adam should be proud of the team he has assembled... these folks are awesome!

Regards,

Mike

No, from my understanding not all 3401's have an issue... although those that did seem to have used oil/lubricant as a fix...

Here are a few pics:

felt with melted plastic

b48e51c4.jpg

backing plate with gouging caused by felt:

577a7d79.jpg

compare to new backing plate:

73947ffe.jpg

melted plastic felt in flex:

33817b21.jpg

At this point waiting to hear from Dylan on felt replacement....

I could flip the felt over (and add oil) but now am worried about

the extra height the plastic would add....

Regards,

Mike

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

did you oil up the backing plate before using it ?

you are supposed to line the felt with air tool oil before its first use. Its well known with all FLEX customers.

That's the first I've ever heard of that, where did you get that information ?

did you oil up the backing plate before using it ?

you are supposed to line the felt with air tool oil before its first use. Its well known with all FLEX customers.

The felt rings are factory oiled, no need to add more upon initial use. When performing regularly scheduled maintenence you'll re-oil the felt ring.

With this specific case it appeared to be a clearance issue more than anything else. Still the failure rate has improved VASTLY from when Flex 3401's were still new to the market. The reliability issues is what kept us from adding them for so long, but after assurances that their QC was much better and running multiple machines to the point of failure in testing we have faith in them now.

There has been very very few 'bad machines' since we started shipping them and nothing is ever 100% perfect 100% of the time.

Thanks for being so patient while we tried to figure out the issue Mike, let me know if you need anything else.

The felt rings are factory oiled, no need to add more upon initial use. When performing regularly scheduled maintenence you'll re-oil the felt ring.

With this specific case it appeared to be a clearance issue more than anything else. Still the failure rate has improved VASTLY from when Flex 3401's were still new to the market. The reliability issues is what kept us from adding them for so long, but after assurances that their QC was much better and running multiple machines to the point of failure in testing we have faith in them now.

There has been very very few 'bad machines' since we started shipping them and nothing is ever 100% perfect 100% of the time.

Thanks for being so patient while we tried to figure out the issue Mike, let me know if you need anything else.

Great info Dylan... again..awesome customer service... would also love to hear back what Flex said about the unit when they see it... (see my PM... and the pic I enclosed...).. feel free to PM/Email me...

I'vehad the same problem. I don't have any pictures. I attributed it to the fact itwas nearly 100 degrees, and the flex usually gets red-hot under normal useanyway. Once 2mm of material melted off the back-plate, it has stopped disintegrating. Using mechanics gloves is the only way I can use the Flex without burning my hands.

Thelarge felt washed seemed to be the cause of the friction. It is still a few millimeters thicker thanthe machine body. Once the machine hadcooled down, I was able to remove the back-plate and peel off the melted partsand put the machine back into use.

I have used it since in the same temperatures withno further back-plate melting problems. (It's been a hot summer in the Mid-West)

I don't have much to contribute to this thread but I just wanted to say that I don't think I've ever experienced this level of customer service locally or online. This is amazing.

Definitely a customer for life here too!

An email to Customer service about the backing plate melting from friction resulted in a new Flex arriving three days later with postage paid for the returned Flex.

My original had a date code of 04/2011. Dylan said some of the Flex machines had clearance problems between the fiber ring and the backing plate. The new Flex operates a lot cooler then the previous. The fiber ring does not touch the backing plate.

The body of the original machine would become uncomfortably hot, gloves were mandatory.

Adam's does take care of their customers.

My flex did the same thing it melted a backing plate to my orange pad the first time I used it didn't really apply any pressure when using it had no problems with the green pad I used before it. Adam's took care of it with a new pad and backing plate. The new backing plate did the same thing as yours did melted plastic and through it all over the place the first time it was used. I removed the backing plate took off all the melted plastic pieces cleaned the hell out of my pad and haven't really had any problems with it since. Just have a slightly shaved down backing plate. The flex seems to run really hot compared to other machines like the pc I figure that has something to do with it. Definitely have to be careful what part of the machine you hold onto by the time you get around a vehicle so you don't burn yourself I don't wear gloves to use but I do make sure I keep my hand on the front handle only and on the back by the trigger when I'm using it for a full detail.

Edited by ntloenuf

Hey Dylan as of now I am planning on taking my truck for a cruise and coming down to the detail clinic in Mechanicsburg, Pa. on Sep. 2 should I bring my flex along down with me for you to check out?

Please bring it so he can see it. Also, it would be good to see your technique on the Flex itself, be ready for that too!

Have a fun Clinic down there...looks to be Mammoth!

Mook