Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wash Clay IPA

03Ap1

Question

What steps should be done when planning to use IPA in order to remove all unwanted wax.

Should it be:

Wash

Clay

IPA

or

Wash

IPA

Clay

Just curious if it matters.

Also its 50% water and 50% (IPA90% concentrate)?

24 answers to this question

no need to wash with dawn if you are going to use IPA. first wash as normal. then use IPA (BEFORE CLAYING) so as to not use up the clay bar. then Clay. then correct the paint.

the only reason to use IPA is as a substitute for the dawn wash.

I think I will jsut do IPA before and after I clay. I see many people here use Dawn, no one is afraid of it doing harm to any exterior plastics?

It should be ok when used only 1 or 2 times a year.

Put me down for dawn wash, rinse, clay, polish. My understanding is you wouldn't need dawn wash, clay AND IPA. The dawn or IPA would be used to get rid of any previous product on the paint surface prior to clay and polishing.

I was actually thinking of using Adams car wash and not Dawn. My thought process was this. (I could be wrong)

-Rinse (Get the big stuff off)

-Foam Gun with Adams (Soak off the dirt to prevent MORE damage)

-2 bucket wash (Prep paint for claybar)

-Claybar

-IPA (Clean off any excess DS or claybar)

Then I was thinking of washing with Adams again, but as mentioned before the IPA evaporates fast and is not necessary.

:cheers:

I am getting mixed answers here and I realize everyone has there ways but I am still open to ideas.

I just want to get a solid process down before I start.

you must either wash with dawn or wipedown with IPA before you clay...the paint must be bare before you clay...

using adams soap alone will not strip the panel..

I think its important to note they mean wash with dawn, not just adams soap..you probably know that already but just making sure.

I too would wash with dawn, clay, then wipe down with IPA..

I was actually thinking of using Adams car wash and not Dawn. My thought process was this. (I could be wrong)

-Rinse (Get the big stuff off)

-Foam Gun with Adams (Soak off the dirt to prevent MORE damage)

-2 bucket wash (Prep paint for claybar)

-Claybar

-IPA (Clean off any excess DS or claybar)

Then I was thinking of washing with Adams again, but as mentioned before the IPA evaporates fast and is not necessary.

:cheers:

I am getting mixed answers here and I realize everyone has there ways but I am still open to ideas.

I just want to get a solid process down before I start.

After the IPA wipedown, I found that the corrections went faster. Seemed like I could get more work done somehow.

Now I wouldn't consider doing any correction without it. I don't think the clay really got the finish completely clean of MSW. Of course, after several times working with the polisher, my technique has gotten a little bit better. Practice practice...

There is a lot of debate over this subject. I wash ( w/ dawn), clay, wash again (Adams shampoo) then wipe down with 50/50 IPA. Make sure you use distilled water, not just for IPA but for cutting down any chemical (apc, gwc, svrt, ect.). Most of the debate is around dilutions however I find 50/50 to work well for me.

For me (my two cents) it is

Wash, dry

IPA wipedown to remove old wax etc. to get the paint bare.

Then Clay, etc.

You want a 50/50 (roughly) IPA/distilled water solution. 9The 0% IPA will work at 50/50. But if you get that 70% IPA you might want to adjust your ratios.

Archived