Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bird Do-Do

lavla

Question

Friends,

After a long winter, I finally got the Vette out for the afternoon. I had just completed a full detail with the final Buttery Wax application with the PC. Anyway, I had the car parked and returned to find a giant bird dropping on the driver's side fender. I grabbed the detail spray and microfiber towel and cleaned the area.

I went into the garage this morning and saw that there was a stain where the dropping had been. I took the PC and some Adam's Fine Machine Polish but the stain is still there. What is my next move?? Help...:confused:

Lou

16 answers to this question

I purchased the 3M Compound and used it on the "dropping" spot over a period of three days. By the end of that time, it seemed like it was totally gone. WRONG. I took the car out for a ride and after an hour in the sun, I put the car back into the garage. I was amazed to see that the spot had returned.

I'm continuing with the 3M Compound and will report on the progress. :help:

I noticed that your from somerset county... Ive got a detailing shop in Hunterdon if you would like some help. Just send me a PM and we can talk...

Anything acidic will ruin paint. Too much information, but one time when I was sick with the flu, I honked up a lugi and spat it out my window. When I got home I noticed it didn't clear the car, so I tried removing it from the paint. Too late. That spot never came out, not even with rubbing compound.

The moral here is that wax or sealant is important. I'm going to get some MSW on my car with the next full detail this summer. I'm not confident that the Americana will leave enough protection, even with two coats. I've been proven wrong more than once around here though.:willy:

I purchased the 3M Compound and used it on the "dropping" spot over a period of three days. By the end of that time, it seemed like it was totally gone. WRONG. I took the car out for a ride and after an hour in the sun, I put the car back into the garage. I was amazed to see that the spot had returned.

I'm continuing with the 3M Compound and will report on the progress. :help:

From AutoBlog:

"We've heard that acid from the bird droppings is the reason for the doo-doo perforations, but a study by UK car care experts ******** reveals that the excrement is only part of the problem. The real culprit is the sun, which expands and warms the paint on your vehicle. When the sun hits that bird poop, the poo hardens at the same time the paint expands. When the sun sets and the vehicle cools, the paint then contracts and forms itself around the hardened crap."

Can't remember what the post was about, but the article your quoting sounds an awful lot like the one that stated "your paint has pores that breath" anyone remember that little bit of nonsense?

From AutoBlog:

"We've heard that acid from the bird droppings is the reason for the doo-doo perforations, but a study by UK car care experts ******** reveals that the excrement is only part of the problem. The real culprit is the sun, which expands and warms the paint on your vehicle. When the sun hits that bird poop, the poo hardens at the same time the paint expands. When the sun sets and the vehicle cools, the paint then contracts and forms itself around the hardened crap."

:welcomebanner::welcomebanner:

I just detailed a Gencoupe and the guy left bird poop on the hood and the frame around the door and it ate right thru the clear. I tried going at it with the 4" pads (Green, orange and white) and it helped a bit, but It didn't remove the stain completly. I then did a pass with revive and the stain wasn't as noticeable.

Thanks for the advise. I'll give it a go..

Lou

:welcomebanner::welcomebanner:

I just detailed a Gencoupe and the guy left bird poop on the hood and the frame around the door and it ate right thru the clear. I tried going at it with the 4" pads (Green, orange and white) and it helped a bit, but It didn't remove the stain completly. I then did a pass with revive and the stain wasn't as noticeable.

where in Jersey are you?

maybe even give it a rubdown with IPA, clay it, polish it, then seal it..

I live in Branchburg, NJ (Somerset County) but my office is in Totowa. I drive the car to work once a week in the Spring/Summer. I guess the birds in Totowa eat very acitic food!

Lou

Thanks for the "Hello". I'm the impulsive type, so I'm trying to get it out of the paint asap. I'll try the "slow but steady" road and work it a little each day.

I'll keep you posted...

Lou

Bird poop is the worst! I usually use the focus pads on a drill, followed with the PC.

I have a small spot of poo on my hood that I need to get off there... Just saw it this AM and don't have WCW in the car yet. So darn cold lately. Freakin frost last night! UGH!

Archived