Customer Service 866.965.0400

Really dusty interior?

Vincenzo

Question

The interior of my Mustang has always been ridiculously dusty. It doesn't seem to matter how much of it I wipe off, how much I vacuum, etc. The next day it is already all dusty. It is really pretty annoying, because almost every other day I brush the worst areas off with a paper towel while I am waiting for it to warm up to go to school. The other day I got down and totally vacuumed and cleaned every bit of cloth in that car and then wiped down almost all of the cheap plastic with SVRT. Today I come out to my car and boom, all dusty again. My dad's mustang doesn't seem to have this problem, but he has leather seats and rubber floor mats, so those are my 2 main suspects. Any advice?

18 answers to this question

If you have cloth seats and interior, I bet a lot of the dust is coming from that. The cars that I have had with leather interiors always have had less dust than the cars I've owned with fabric interiors. What I used to do is use an air compressor and blow on all the seats and fabrics that were in the car. Make sure the doors are open and try to blow the dust out of the car . You will be amazed at how much dust there is in those fabric seats even after just vacuuming them. I still clean my car this way, mostily the vents and floor mats and carpet after I vacuum. This coming from a guy that has a swiffer duster in his car at all times because he hates dust worse than the plague :willy::willy:

Well this weekend I am going to thoroughly vacuum the seats and the carpet and the headliner. If it is still dusting, I will play around the the air filter, although I keep getting this feeling like it is my headliner that is causing the problem.

might as well replace it.. should replace it yearly..

and I would suggest trying to blow out the system before you put the new one in, just to make sure you get everything..

I get crazy amounts of dust anytime I drive around with the windows down, but if they've been up then the only likely source is the HVAC system so I'd do the following:

1. Pull the cabin filter if you have one and place a slightly damp towel over the opening.
  2. Using compressed air or a blower of some sort blow in thru the AC vents.
  3. Go thru each vent including the floorboard ones if equiped.
  4. Remove the damp towel (you'll likely have a lot of dust/debris stuck to it.
  5. Vacuum the opening out to get anything that might not have stuck to the towel.
  6. Put in a new cabin filter and you should be good to go!

Used this method on my wifes last car after a few months of really bad ash due to wildfires. No matter how many times I changed the filter her car still had dust/ash in it after running the AC. This method fixed it no problem.

No cabin filter in my 02 which means its not in a 04 and older. I doubt it's in any of the newer mustangs as I have never heard of it, but it is possible.

The 05 and up do have them, not sure about the older ones.

This may sound extreme, but you may want to take the seats out and smack 'em with your hand and vaccum (and clean) them while out of the car. Cloth seats hold a lot of dust. I don't know for sure if this will solve your specific problem, but the dust has got to be coming from somewhere and in the end, your seats will be super clean. Just an idea...

- Darryl

:iagree: That's what I was thinking. Cloth seats could do it.

I drive with my windows down often when it is nice out. It has been raining almost every day straight for the last month and a half though, and before that it was too cold. So I have only driven with my windows down maybe 15 times in the last 2-3 months.

You know, I actually thought about pulling the seats and totally cleaning them. They kind of need it anyways. Then, I also have considered getting leather seat covers. So I might pull them, maybe not.

This may sound extreme, but you may want to take the seats out and smack 'em with your hand and vaccum (and clean) them while out of the car. Cloth seats hold a lot of dust. I don't know for sure if this will solve your specific problem, but the dust has got to be coming from somewhere and in the end, your seats will be super clean. Just an idea...

- Darryl

Archived