Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to properly clean a 3M Clear Bra?

DolomiteG8

Question

I am getting one installed tomorrow after a front end repaint. I'm curious to know what you guys recommend for cleaning and maintenance on one. I assume it's safe to use Adam's waxes on it, but when it comes to cleaning off bug guts, road grime and the like, is APC recommended or something else? I don't want to damage it. Any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated! :)

10 answers to this question

WCW and DS are both fine for clear bra. As also suggested, polishes can safely be used but will most likely have little to no effect. I've successfully polished out some light scratches on some clear bras, but this stuff is tuff...afterall, think of what it's purpose is!

- Darryl

WCW and DS are both fine for clear bra. As also suggested, polishes can safely be used but will most likely have little to no effect. I've successfully polished out some light scratches on some clear bras, but this stuff is tuff...afterall, think of what it's purpose is!

- Darryl

Its purpose was to protect helicopter rotor blades from sand blasting in the sandy areas of the world.

Adams used to have "clear polish" which is what I use on mine.

I've waxed it as well with no issues so far.

Chris

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

Hopefully I will be getting the car back here today.

To answer the question about the curing, the answer is Nope. Body shop painted and installed it. I had some concerns about that too and did some homework on it. Lots of debate going around about the out-gasing of paints and when to put the clear bra, or wax for that matter.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject by any means, but the body shop warranties the paint for as long as I own it, and they don't have a problem with it, so I'm covered. :)

I just want to make sure I don't apply any solutions on it that will cause it to bubble or lift or discolor.

So is it safe to use APC on it to wipe off Bug guts??

So is it safe to use APC on it to wipe off Bug guts??

I'd use WW for Bug Guts, at least that is what I do. As long as you don't let it dry on the finish I am sure APC would be fine....but I may be wrong

WCW would be a better choice. APC will remove any protection that on the Clear Bra/paint, where as WCW will clean bugs (though not as quickly) AND leave the protection behind.

Weird... My body shop told me NOT to put it on for 90 days. It almost killed me to wait, but I got away with it.

Diluted APC 50/50 is OK to use. DO NOT let it dry on there. Otherwise WCW left to soak works well too.

Chris

Getting me a clear bra after I get the front end repainted. I was told by numerous people that do those clear bras ( some from GM) that you should wait at least 2 weeks after you have an area painted. Since I'm gonna be in korea for a year I have time to wait :D

Archived