Customer Service 866.965.0400

Corvette Swirls and scratches

Poppi

Question

2002 Vette Z06 and I wash, claybar then use the Porter Cable 7424XP with Swirl and Haze remover, Machine Polish and Super Wax. I have done this 4 times in the past year. The car looks awesome and feels like glass. When you use the sun to reflect I see that most of the swirls are gone but there are still scratches in the clear coat. I use the products correctly... just want to know should I give it up, order and use the Severe Swirl Polish?

7 answers to this question

Sounds about right. The C5 is a beast when it comes to a hard clear coat. I must have gone over my car 5 times with SHR before I felt like I had gotten the fine swirls to a point I could live with. Don't give up -- she'll fight you near to death, but you can do it. :pc::pc::pc:

Thanks... I think I will order the green pad and severe swirl and scratch remover. I saw the 4" pad/drill vid... I do have one bad scratch that may take that to fix. I got it real close but not cigar... not tryin' to make a show car but I want it as nice as I can get it. '02 Z06 only 40K and it has always been garaged. Supercharged, LT headers, X-pipe, 42# injectors, dynoed at 565 rwhp. Yep I love it and people don't believe until I show them the computer... I get 24.5 mpg around town and 32 mpg highway.

Hey John,

The vette does have notoriously hard clear coat, but thats no reason you shouldn't be seeing improvement in the condition of the paint.

Everyone always assumes their technique is spot on, but theres always room for improvement. Heck, given over a decade of doing this myself I'm still always improving and tweaking my process.

Lets see some pics of what you're dealing with so all of us here can help you figure out some possible approaches. Also, can you elaborate on what your process is exactly?

• How much polish are you using per panel?
  • How are you deciding when a polish has been worked?
  • What speed are you running the PC at?
  • How would you describe the amount of pressure you're putting down on the pad?

Archived