Customer Service 866.965.0400

MSW: How Often?

aworkman

Question

18 answers to this question

Theres a very simple way to tell when its time to put down a fresh coat of superwax... or buttery... or americana... or anything thats protecting your paint for that matter.

While washing if the water goes FLAT instead of beading up or rolling away then you need to apply a fresh coat. Sealants and waxes reduce surface tension and force water to bead up, when they start to break down the effect becomes less and less until it doesn't happen at all.

Its impossible to give 'one size fits all' application recommendations simply b/c everyones situation is different. Car kept outside vs. garaged. Daily driver vs. weekend toy. 30 mile commute vs. 5 mile commute. SoCal in winter vs. Michigan in winter.

So many variables come into play that its just crazy to try and peg one number down so "As needed" is the best advice I can give you. If you held a gun to my head I'd say the average would fall somewhere between 4-6 months of durability... thats clock ticking from the second you apply it to the complete failure of it.

Also nothing says you have to wait until its completely degraded to put a fresh coat down... if its been 3 months, and you still have beading, just not as good as it was when it was fresh, put a new coat down... it won't hurt.

I just keep my cars waxed, I'm sure my paint is protected after 30 days but I apply it just to make sure it's good and mostly to give it a little pop.

I think "UV rays" plays a big role in breaking waxes down not to mention the finish.

"I don't have any 'real' scientific evidence to back this up. " Same here, just something that I read.

Yes, prolonged exposure to heat will cause wax to soften to a degree... but thats true of anything. Even the most durable sealant in the world will see a shortened life span when exposed to heat regularly for 30 days straight... thats why garage kept cars need less frequent waxing/sealing than daily drivers.

All things acting on your LSP are shortening the life of it - wind, rain, UV rays, heat, etc.

30 days is on the short side, but a weak wax could certainly break down that quickly.

I read that wax can break down in 30 days at a temp of 101 and must be appiled again. (If parked in the sun)

Anyone know of the facts.

It was carnuba wax that I read this on.

My truck and SUV is parked in the sun while at work so on avg. I wax it once per month.

I am going to say no, as both my truck and mustang have been parked outside in hot weather during the summer and they still have protection afterwards. But I don't have any 'real' scientific evidence to back this up.

I read that wax can break down in 30 days at a temp of 101 and must be appiled again. (If parked in the sun)

Anyone know of the facts.

It was carnuba wax that I read this on.

My truck and SUV is parked in the sun while at work so on avg. I wax it once per month.

I stopped using the MSW and have gone strictly to Americana because mine is garaged kept, covered and is not a daily driver. I use the MSW on the wife's Acadia even though it is garaged kept at home and in a covered parking garage at work, it is still a daily driver. I can get about 4-6 months on the MSW with an occasional coat of BG. On my Vette, I usually do the Americana 3-4 times a year and that depends on how many shows I do.

Theres a very simple way to tell when its time to put down a fresh coat of superwax... or buttery... or americana... or anything thats protecting your paint for that matter.

While washing if the water goes FLAT instead of beading up or rolling away then you need to apply a fresh coat. Sealants and waxes reduce surface tension and force water to bead up, when they start to break down the effect becomes less and less until it doesn't happen at all.

Its impossible to give 'one size fits all' application recommendations simply b/c everyones situation is different. Car kept outside vs. garaged. Daily driver vs. weekend toy. 30 mile commute vs. 5 mile commute. SoCal in winter vs. Michigan in winter.

So many variables come into play that its just crazy to try and peg one number down so "As needed" is the best advice I can give you. If you held a gun to my head I'd say the average would fall somewhere between 4-6 months of durability... thats clock ticking from the second you apply it to the complete failure of it.

Also nothing says you have to wait until its completely degraded to put a fresh coat down... if its been 3 months, and you still have beading, just not as good as it was when it was fresh, put a new coat down... it won't hurt.

Thanks Dylan. This is great information, exactly what I needed.

Archived