Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flat Black Stripes

offduty

Question

13 answers to this question

Tape over them. It helps to keep the wax/polish from building up on the edges, and the polishes could be too abrasive on them. Folks have had good results with SVRT and/or Brilliant Glaze on their stripes.

There vinyl

Definitely tape them off to avoid caking product up along that edge... thats the first issue caused by waxing/polishing across the edge and it can be a real pain to get stuff out of there once its built up enough.

Also you want to maintain that matte/flat look, so polishing is a bit counter productive to that.

Products that CAN be used to treat the matte vinyl stripes found on many cars:

• Super VRT - Makes the stripes darker, but not necessarily shiny. The effects have decent longevity, I recommend applying the product liberally with a block sponge, then going back over them with a towel slightly dampened with detail spray or waterless wash.

• Brilliant Glaze - Doesn't seem to have much visual impact on the stripes, but the solvents in the product do a great job at cleaning/evening out the look of the stripes. If you have a slight haze from accidentally getting a product on there that stained Brilliant Glaze does a decent job of cleaning that up.

• Fine Machine Polish - Gives a nice even look without shine. You won't so much use this as a polish, apply it more like a wax, spread it EVENLY out over the surface using a Blue or Yellow Hex grip applicator, then remove the residue with a dry plush microfiber towel, follow up with Detail Spray or Waterless Wash to even out any areas that appear blotchy. Essentially the oils in the polish are what are at work here.

• Revive Polish - Same process as fine machine, but you will notice the stripes will look darker with this option. Also follow with DS or WW to even out after application.

I'm actually soliciting volunteers from Camaro5.com to come out for a small informal video shoot to demonstrate these different processes and cover the proper way to care for the stripes. This question is so common now I answer it about 2-3x a day which makes sense b/c Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are all using matte vinyl for certain appearance packages.

Also the problem with vinyl stripes is that some lower quality companies will simply add pigments to the top layer of the vinyl. And when you go over the vinyl stripe while polishing, it can take the finish right off the top layer leaving you with a bare spot.... if that makes any sense lol

Also the problem with vinyl stripes is that some lower quality companies will simply add pigments to the top layer of the vinyl. And when you go over the vinyl stripe while polishing, it can take the finish right off the top layer leaving you with a bare spot.... if that makes any sense lol

This is correct... there are many low grade vinyls out there that are 'top coated' versus 'thru than thru' so if you get too aggressive with cleaning or polishing you can remove that top coat and show up plain white vinyl.

Not sure what Ford uses, but for the mostpart I believe factory stripes are thru and thru.

Thank you all for all the information, this is the best forum out there for people that want to help each other. Once again you answered my questions. Happy to be a member of such a great Company and members

Thank you all for all the information, this is the best forum out there for people that want to help each other. Once again you answered my questions. Happy to be a member of such a great Company and members

Post up some pics of your car Gary!:burnout:

Archived