Customer Service 866.965.0400

'68 Camaro SS 350

camaro2ssblack

Question

A co-worker of mine just bought a sweet '68 Camaro SS 350 (butternut yellow). I was wanting to offer a detail to him for cheap so he can start off on the right foot. The paint is in good shape with the exception of some swirls. I am wondering if there is a way to tell if its the original paint from the naked eye..he is not sure.

Also, the rims are the American Racing thrust wheels, is metal polish safe for these?

TIA..

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...doesnt do the color justice at all.

16 answers to this question

I doubt if its the original paint, you will know if you get paint on your pads if its cleared or not. As far as the wheels do you know if they are cleared? Take a little MP and if the mf towel turns black they are not cleared then proceed with the MP 1&2!

I agree with checking for clear. at first glance though they look like standard polished alum. They looked like mine used to after two weeks of commuting. mp will be just fine. should get those to come out like mirriors.

i know my dads paint is original on his 77 camaro, but its really thin. the way my dad told me how to tell is look at the nooks and crannys of the car to tell if there is any kind of overspray, any blending, other color, etc. first off look at the SN on the car to tell if its the original color, but if it has only a few swirls id say either it was detailed every day for 43 years and left in a garage, or it was a repaint.

i googled factory colors 68 camaro and butternut yellow was available as a factory color that year. That is a start , I would check the VIN and see what paint code it has...

if that matches your on the right track lol

then like they said at that point you would need to check the physical paint for signs i guess

Will do, thanks guys...

It looks so clean that it makes me doubt its the original paint so I should be good to go. If I can convince him to let me touch it I will post some real before and after pics. He saw first hand what I did to my 5th gen so I have that going for me...

The only original paint 68 I ever saw wasn't reflective like in the 3rd picture. Because it wasn't painted with base/clear coat. I don't think they used that in 68. If it is the original paint, I wouldn't be driving it, because you don't find very many with the original paint. But it is hard to tell with the pictures.

I doubt if its the original paint, you will know if you get paint on your pads if its cleared or not. As far as the wheels do you know if they are cleared? Take a little MP and if the mf towel turns black they are not cleared then proceed with the MP 1&2!

I don't recall the 68' with ever having this color but I pretty sure I haven't seen all of the colors for the 68'

Regardless, very sweet ride.

Years ago my brother had the 68', geen with white, oh how i loved that car, he wrecked it, was junk after that.

We still talk of that car, classic.

Archived