Customer Service 866.965.0400

Things to do/see in LA

MAYBEN

Well today is my Wife and I's first Anniversary..

My Wife has to travel for work from time to time.. she just got back from Chicago Thursday night, then June 6th she's flying to Seattle, and the following morning she's flying to LA.. well she happened to book a flight for me to go to LA as well so we can have a little vacation.

The night we get there, the hotel will be paid for by her work, as she will be in meetings that day.. so we still have to figure out a rental car and where we will be staying for the remainder, leaving Sunday morning..

Any suggestions on what to see or do?

T I A!

"LA" is pretty vague... Cali, especially Los Angeles isn't like most of the rest of the US... everything isn't close by. Just had this convo with someone else on the board recently... if you're more familiar with the east coast you tend to think in a mindset that you can get anywhere in and around LA in a reasonable time, but thats not always the case. Its sprawled out more than most other areas and traffic is crazy which means you could spend hours to get from "A" to "B".

Do you have an address for the hotel where you'll be staying, I can make a few recommendations for you for sure.

Well if you're sticking in the West Hollywood area near the Mondrian you're in a good spot to check out a lot of stuff.

You're only 30 minutes from Venice Beach... not necessarily the best beach, but theres a ton to do/see down there. You could also hit Santa Monica Pier.

You will be about 10 miles from LA Live/Nokia Theater/Staples Center where theres a ton of restaurants, bars, etc. Most weekend nights theres something going on in the outdoor pavilion there.

If the Dodgers are in town you could catch a game at the famous/infamous Dodger Stadium (leave your SF Giants gear at home unless you wanna get jumped by gang bangers) about 30-40 minutes away.

Just be prepared. LA is a weird place, you'll go from multi-million dollar mansions to the scummiest back alley crack dens in 3 blocks. Avoid the "hollywood" tourist trap. They don't make movies there anymore and unless you want to be harassed by homeless people or guys dressed in bad spiderman costumes charging $10 to take a picture with them theres nothing there to see.

I dont know if we have to stay in West Hollywood, but I know there are a few things my Wife is thinking about doing.. shes been looking at ideas..

Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Santa Monica Pier

Rodeo Drive

Walk of fame is OK, not really all most people think it is b/c of lot of it is in the worst part of hollywood. Also as it keeps getting longer some of the stars are in front of stores and things, not as glamourous as people think.

Definitely hit the pier

Rodeo is fun just to hang out and people/car watch. I guarantee you a supercar ratio of like 3:1 on a good day down there. Only place in the world were I passed a Bugatti while I was following an Enzo and it wasn't that big of a deal LOL

thats good to hear about the Pier and Rodeo.. too bad I wont get to drive a Bugatti, lol..

as for the Walk of Fame, I'm sure we will still take a look.. It's something the Wife always wanted to see..

and I just looked at prices of the Mondrian, WOW over $300/night.. no thanks, lol.. too bad her vendor aint paying for the remainder, lol

Pretty cool to go to LA eh? :jester:

I was just looking up rental cars.. might book through hotwire, seems to have better pricing.. was considering getting a convertible, but they're a little pricey.. I saw one that said listed a '69 Camaro SS, but didn't have any for that time, then I looked at the pricing because they showed a new SS, but it was 6-700ish, so no thanks, lol

anyone near there wanna let me borrow their ride? lmao

Only place in the world were I passed a Bugatti while I was following an Enzo and it wasn't that big of a deal LOL

Clearly you've never been to Dubai. :)

Since I live in LA county I can chime in...

You'll definitely see smog, crazy people, nice cars and serious homes. But like Dylan said it goes from mansions to slums in blocks... I'm about 4 miles from Compton (yea that Compton) while it's semi un-nerving Lakewood is really quiet lots of families live here because it's sports town 2005-2006 USA for it's youth programs. No more riff raff in lakewood than any other suburban city. But I can throw a rock at some bad neighborhoods near by.

I'm still fairly new out here I spent much of my childhood borderline la/oc I spent much more time in OC than LA, so if you decide Orange county is place your going to visit I have a ton of stuff to do there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clearly you've never been to Dubai. :)

I would give away something to explicit to say on here to travel to Dubai. :lolsmack:

Actually just to see all the United Arab Emirates. Watching the history/discovery channel catching shows it looks incredible. And from what ive read its extremely safe for us Americans!

Maybe someday, maybe ill meet the "one" and let us honeymoon there:lol: her parents have to be rich though, so thats number one on the list.

BTW: Congrat's Nick!

I don't know LA all that well. I honestly try to avoid it as much as I can. The traffic and some other aspects of it aren't my cup of tea. I was there last weekend though and stayed a couple blocks down Sunset from your hotel (almost across the street from the Whiskey). There was a lot of nice cars to see and some stars around.

One word of advice though, fly into Burbank if you can over LAX. It's only about 12 miles from where you're staying and it'll be a much more pleasant experience. It's easy to get in and out of and you'll get to the hotel quicker. With quicker being a relative term. It was a 40 min. ride for me last Saturday at noon to go from the hotel to the airport. The people that flew into LAX took about twice as long to arrive.

BTW, if you need to spice up the marriage after one year, the big Hustler store is on Sunset down by the Whiskey. They have their own version of the walk of fame too. :jester:

If you are in Hollywood I would also try and get up to the Griffith Observatory, beautiful views, lots of history and a very significant observatory. May cruise up towards the HOLLYWOOD sign. Touristy stuff sure, but that's what you will be. Drives? PCH, or scenic mountain roads, Neptunes Net, or maybe the Rock Store.

And congrats on your first year of marriage.

Bruce

Anyone know how the Redondo Beach Area is? My wife was looking at the Portfolio Hotel & Yacht Club..

Is that far from Universal Studios or the Hollywood Walk of Fame? We will be getting a rental for the stay..

Archived