Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waxing without claying?

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

I'm having a lot of potential customers ask for just a wash and wax. I knew that would happen. I'd really like to wash, clay, polish and wax but that's not what the customer wants or maybe they can't afford that.

Will I run into any problems just doing a wash followed by MSW, APW, or BW?

Thanks

23 answers to this question

Most people don't want to pay for the works, they just want a wax job.:willy:

That is because most people have no idea what a real detail of a car involves. They have grown up thinking wash and wax, plus they see all these commercials on TV with the one step does it all spray cleaner and wax in a bottle. They just need to be educated.

That depends on how smooth the surface is to me. I would tell them that if the surface is rough, then waxing it is just going to leave swirl marks. I like the idea of a demonstration. Let them see and feel the difference.

I guess after that, if they don't care, then so be it. It's their car. However, I wouldn't want to put my name on that. Especially if that's how I made my living.

If you are gonna do a clay demonstration....PLEASE do it on the back of the vehicle....always the worst.

Or the doors! Neighbour was blown away at how much crud I pulled out of the doors on my Coupe last weekend. He saw me clay it last spring and couldn't believe how much more had accumulated given the care I took of it.

I run a detailing shop in NJ, and I always clay bar a customers vehicle before I wax even if I am not going to be poslishing after claying. If you use enough DS and if you know what your doing, you can greatly reduce the possibility of any marring. Also by claying a car before you wax (even if your not going to polish) it helps to remove all contaminates in the clear and gives you a better base for the wax allowing it to last longer. So far I have not run into any issues doing this, and have had extremely happy customers.

Part of the education process possibly could be to allow them to do a small area themselves then let them do the baggie test so they can feel the difference.

What about throwing in reduced rate or free window/windshield sealer if they choose claying?

That is quick easy to do and relatively inexpensive. Can show more value for dollar spent and easy for you.

Just a thought.

It is startling just how uneducated the public is about claying. The first time I clayed my wife's vehicle, she was like "what the hell are you doing?"

With all the cheap wash/wax products out there, most people just don't get it or care to spend the time/$ to have it done.

They have to be educated on the benefits. Several tests have been suggested. Figure out which works the best and use it. I like the idea if a sinple video demo for them to see in addition to showing them on their car.

I am also thinking that some people just don't care enough to want the complete and proper detail.

Educate them via demos, give them options and let them choose.

In the end, you still need to make a profit.

So right. They don't understand they just spent over $30k at least on a nice vehicle but don't want to spend the money to properly protect their investment.

:2thumbs:

They have to be educated on the benefits. Several tests have been suggested. Figure out which works the best and use it. I like the idea if a sinple video demo for them to see in addition to showing them on their car.

I am also thinking that some people just don't care enough to want the complete and proper detail.

Educate them via demos, give them options and let them choose.

In the end, you still need to make a profit.

thats one of the reasons I'm afraid to put a full detail in for my MIL.. my inlaws saw what I did with my Wife's Edge and want it done to their MKX, but they think its a quick 2 hour thing like the place down the street with an illegal 'detailing' your car..

I also am hesitant to do a full correction as I know that in a week or two, it will be washed and swirled up again.. I'll probly do a clay and FMP..

Ask them if you can do a 2x2 area and let them feel the difference.

They should notice how smooth the paint is and give them a savings for the first time. (The baggie test)

Some just want the feeling of having their car waxed for peice of mind and some shine.

If you could put a DVD together and let them watch a short clip to show them what involves in claying.

Some think we're trying to pass a fast one on them, let them see for themselves.

We know about claying, they don't have a clue.

Good Luck!

50% off the first time clay. But that's the worst time. Lol

I think I've got something worked out for the price. I'll also plan on doing the baggie test or possibly even a small demonstration to show the contaminates.

Pay for the clay this time and the next detail if done in 6 months is 20% off...

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

A lot of people ask me to do there cars and once I tell them the price they say, oh but the detailing place down the road does the same thing but for less. Thats because they only wash and then put a coat of wax.

Tell them to take it there, and eventually they will come back to you.

You can just put a coat of wax on by hand without claying. I don't see that causing anymore damage thats already done to the car.

Lots of those places here too. I've been told in 2 hours they could have my car swirl free and completely detailed inside and out. I wouldn't let those places touch my lawnmower much less my car.

I think I've got something worked out for the price. I'll also plan on doing the baggie test or possibly even a small demonstration to show the contaminates.

No I always clay my clients vehicles. I was talking about new clients. Lol

I agree. I get some customers like that. I just explain and show some pictures of what claying does and how it improves the waxing process. Sometimes ill take 50% off if its their first time.

A lot of people ask me to do there cars and once I tell them the price they say, oh but the detailing place down the road does the same thing but for less. Thats because they only wash and then put a coat of wax.

Tell them to take it there, and eventually they will come back to you.

You can just put a coat of wax on by hand without claying. I don't see that causing anymore damage thats already done to the car.

Tell them the protection won't last as long because you're waxing the contaminates, but you'd be happy to do what ever they want.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

tell them claying is in their best interest and try to cut them a deal if money is tight for them.

I agree. I get some customers like that. I just explain and show some pictures of what claying does and how it improves the waxing process. Sometimes ill take 50% off if its their first time.

Archived