Customer Service 866.965.0400

Protective Cover

BigDogK-9

Question

OK Guy’s, I have been using the Adams lug nut brush on my bike engines to clean hard to reach areas in and around the fins while washing. The problem I was having is the steel collar coming in contact with other engine parts. Afraid of scratching protruding parts while cleaning I needed to come up with away to cover the steel collar that would be waterproof and have a rubber type base so to protect any contact with other parts.

I found this at Lowes; it’s called Liquid Tape, around $6.98 a 4 oz bottle, if I remember right. According to the package it makes a waterproof seal, insulates and protects. So I gave it a try and it didn’t work to bad, formed a nice heavy rubber coating around the collar, (took about 4 applications, 5 minuets between coats), and is giving me the protection needed so I don’t end up scratching parts on my bike. Being waterproof, the water and soap have no affect on it what so ever.

Hey, it’s just an idea, but if your looking for something to add protection to the cleaning utensils, this may be worth your while!! :2thumbs:

Collar with no Protection >>>>

post-4396-136818047647_thumb.jpg

Liquid Tape >>>>

post-4396-136818047613_thumb.jpg

Brushing on product >>>>

post-4396-136818047621_thumb.jpg

Finished Rubber Coating, 4 Applications >>>>

post-4396-136818047628_thumb.jpg

Collar Protected From Scratching other parts!!!! :banana:

15 answers to this question

Not a bad idea. Wouldn't duct tape on it work just as well? I've never had a problem with duct tape coming off even when it's wet. But that stuff is a good alternative. Nice find! :thumbsup:

Try large heat shrink for wire, get a huge gauge and it will just form to the brush.

Jason, I though about heat shrink, but the heat to form the shrink tape, I was afraid it would harm the brush. That is why I tryed liquid tape. :thumbsup:

Jason, I though about heat shrink, but the heat to form the shrink tape, I was afraid it would harm the brush. That is why I tryed liquid tape. :thumbsup:

It usually doesn't require that much heat. I use a hair dryer on "warm"

Not a bad idea. Wouldn't duct tape on it work just as well? I've never had a problem with duct tape coming off even when it's wet. But that stuff is a good alternative. Nice find! :thumbsup:

Rich, yes tape would work, but in my expereance after a while the glue from tape starts to work it's way out and things get gummy. I also wasn't sure how well it would hold up in and out of soapy water. I was trying to find an alternitve that would give protection and be durable for the long haul. :cheers:

It usually doesn't require that much heat. I use a hair dryer on "warm"

Ture, but I didn't want to take the chance of curling up the brisels on the brush. I have had paint and acid bushes around heat at work, (hot air industrial type of hair drier), using no oxid grease on High Voltage electrical contections you have to apply heat for it to flow in cold temps and the brisels will curl and roll up on you. I was looking for a cost effective way and a product that all would have access to on this project.

Archived