Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tar on the car? How to remove.

Mysticine

Question

Not sure what it is, as the car is six years old with just under 60k miles put on my somebody else. Although I've fixed most of the issues since it was issued to me, there is this "residue" on the passenger side of the car that I can't seem to get off.

I've soaked it with APC and even used a stiff bristle brush but have a feeling it will need something with more kick... Whatever it is, it's extremely hard and very much stuck to the car. Maybe the previous driver took it through an area that was being paved or something...

Can anybody help me get this off of my car?

Pics:

cvhelp.jpg

cvhelp2.jpg

Start with a few basic things.....Safest: Power washer, at the coin wash. Get up on the tar, with the wand, about 4" away.

Solved? Good! No? Try the Next safest: Try to put a towel under the car, and brush on, with a paint brush, vegetable oil. Leave on overnight.

Solved? Good! No? Next safest: Brake Parts Cleaner, get some from the Napa Auto Parts store near you. Use at the coin wash, or if you have a power washer, on the asphalt, or area that you don't mind if it gets stained. Spray on, let sit for a minute, then blast off.

Solved? Good! No? Report back!

:thumbsup:

Nice options Adam, sounds like a couple tricks you picked over the years while attending the school of hard knocks.

Excellent ideas! Thank you. I will report back with results...

FWIW, I'm not really concerned about the paint... or doing much of a correction afterwards. I've corrected the hood and trunk of this car, otherwise I just keep the MSW and glass sealant fresh on it.

Guest Jay.B
WD40 or diesel fuel should take care of it.

I used to work with a paving company and they would often say the same. I even knew of some of the guys using diesel fuel all over the truck before washing to loosen up the tar they had on them.

That looks like the tack oil they put down prior to placing the new asphalt. It is an adhesive used to bond the new asphalt to the old. It will dry on your paint and is a pain to remove, but it can be done. I know from personal experience. Good luck :2thumbs:.

I have the same issues with my patrol car unfortunately my PD doesn't let us have take home cars. So I let it sit there. Sad I know but hey I don't get paid to clean it just to drive it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Archived