Customer Service 866.965.0400

powerwasher?

bcampbe7

Question

Anyone have one? Worth it or not?

My wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day and told her an electric pressure washer.

It will be used only for washing the cars, ie getting bug guts off the front. I currently use the foam gun and just scrub the crap out of the front end, but this is labor intensive and I don't feel right about having to scrub so hard on the finish.

The one I am looking at is 1700psi and 1.4gpm. Not extreme, but I don't want the noise of a gas pressure washer and if I do need more pressure/volume I can always borrow my Father-in-laws gas powered pressure washer. This will just be used to wash the vehicles.

So, are the electric pressure washer good for this purpose or waste of money?

Great info all, thanks!

I went ahead and bought the 1700psi Greenworks electric one that Lowes sells. Love it so far!

I foamed the front of the car really well and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then blasted the bugs off with the pressure washer. Worked great. I also love how quiet the electric pressure washer is versus a gaser. Exactly what I was looking for.

I am debating on wheter or not to try the Adams shampoo in the soap containers on the pressure washer. Anyone try that yet? That foam cannon that "MacCool" posted looks promissing too. I figure if I mix the Adams like I would with my foam gun, it may work in the pressure washer. We shall see.

Ah, Beau...the foam cannon out of a pressure washer is some of the most gratifying work you can do to your car :D. Something about having an inch of foam covering your car in a matter of about 60 seconds...

My experience with the upstream injectors on pressure washers has been disappointing in the extreme.

Seriously, I've been using mostly DP detergent on cars, but I've found that Dawn foams great too (if you're looking to strip wax or clean the grill) as well as any other car wash shampoo.

I bought the foam lance, put on a 3/8 NPT brass pipe nipple and then just screwed it directly onto a $17 trigger handle I got from NorthernTool. Put a quick disconnect on both your handles and you can switch back and forth. If you prefer, you can also attach a Karcher-style quick disconnect on the foam cannon so you can switch back and forth between rinse and foam on your existing lance.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_273_273

2227_lg.jpg

Great info all, thanks!

I went ahead and bought the 1700psi Greenworks electric one that Lowes sells. Love it so far!

I foamed the front of the car really well and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then blasted the bugs off with the pressure washer. Worked great. I also love how quiet the electric pressure washer is versus a gaser. Exactly what I was looking for.

I am debating on wheter or not to try the Adams shampoo in the soap containers on the pressure washer. Anyone try that yet? That foam cannon that "MacCool" posted looks promissing too. I figure if I mix the Adams like I would with my foam gun, it may work in the pressure washer. We shall see.

I dial down my Hotsy to about 1500psi when I go at the truck. I get nervous sometimes as I've had to use this thing to strip concrete at 3000 psi at 170 degree water, so I know its potential to absolutely destroy paint and even flesh if not used correctly. Annihilates the mud in wheel wells and bug don't stand a chance. Haha. Great tool!

In general, that's rarely true. Liability concerns tend to keep car wash pressures relatively low compared to what you can buy at Home Depot. Too much risk of high-pressure skin injection, not to mention blasting off badges and lifting loose paint.

All the ones in my area are VERY powerful. I have used both electric and gas powered and prefer the coin-ops in our area.

Chris

I drive to the coin-op and use it and then come home to do a proper wash... It's cheap and the pressure and flow is considerably higher than the average user can buy.

Chris

In general, that's rarely true. Liability concerns tend to keep car wash pressures relatively low compared to what you can buy at Home Depot. Too much risk of high-pressure skin injection, not to mention blasting off badges and lifting loose paint.

I drive to the coin-op and use it and then come home to do a proper wash... It's cheap and the pressure and flow is considerably higher than the average user can buy.

Chris

I use a gas power washer every time. Great for bugs on grill and windshield - eliminates the scrubbing. The hose has 3/8 quick-disconnects, so changing from the rinse lance to the foam cannon is simple.

I have a Silverado for a daily driver and my line of work gets my truck pretty dirty on a daily basis. I use a diesel powered Hotsy regularly to quickly remove the mud/dirt in between proper washes. Works great!!!

I have a Karcher and a huge gas unit.

I always use my electric Karcher for my cars.

Simple without noise.

I love it that when I release the trigger to clean on the car there is no sound unlike the gad type.

For cars, electric all the way.

I've used a pressure washer many times with good results.

I normally use it when my truck is full of mud after a hunting trip, makes for the job much easier.

But if your car isn't very dirty I see no point in taking it out, setup time, cord or gas up.

The fire hose nozzle is much easier.

But to answer your question, yes it's safe as long as you use the correct spray attachment or adjustment as some have.

You want a fan type pattern, not a jet spray.

Same goes for a CO wash, around here they use 2000psi and under.

I just like to blast off my car very good before I even touch the paint.

Oh, I need a foam gun!

I have an older Cambell Hausfield electric, 2 nozzles, 1700psi, soap container, so I can soap the car down. Bought it first to clean the pool deck, use it to clean the fence, use it when the cars are super dirty otherwise it's the fire hose nozzle. I've had it for close to 10 years, maybe more wit hno real problems. Had to replasce 2 parts, but there were both easy fixes.

Anyone have one? Worth it or not?

My wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day and told her an electric pressure washer.

It will be used only for washing the cars, ie getting bug guts off the front. I currently use the foam gun and just scrub the crap out of the front end, but this is labor intensive and I don't feel right about having to scrub so hard on the finish.

The one I am looking at is 1700psi and 1.4gpm. Not extreme, but I don't want the noise of a gas pressure washer and if I do need more pressure/volume I can always borrow my Father-in-laws gas powered pressure washer. This will just be used to wash the vehicles.

So, are the electric pressure washer good for this purpose or waste of money?

Pressure washers are great, Beau. What electric washers lack in power they more than make up for in convenience - plug and play. They work great for rocker panels and bugs, but are especially good for use with a foam cannon (look at this one)...put a 3/8 quick disconnect on it and the rinse lance so you can easily switch back and forth.

Yes I would recomend one, I have a Karcher.:thumbsup:

Me too. Works fine for the car and our vinyl siding, but takes lots of time to clean concrete.

If you need something for removing bugs try this - http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-537-adams-trim-lug-nut-brush.aspx. Works great with the a foamed Car Wash - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11404

Archived