Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should I clay before I machine polish/wax?

Comment

Question

Whenever I wash my car I always have those bug guts smashed on the front end, so of course I wash them off, but it leaves really stuck-on residue from whatever bug decided to hit my car and I just cant get it off with anything but a fingernail(BAD) or a claybar.

It seems like a waste to tear off part of some clay just to get a little bit of bug off before I wax, but of course I cant wax over that.

Should I just fingernail it off, or is there something else to do?

13 answers to this question

clay it will take only a few minutes vs. a few hours of paint correction:thumbsup:

:iagree:gotta go with this!!

But for me, I always use WCW and spray real heavy sometimes several times. This seems to work really well if I am not gonna wash it.

I agree with doug. I used Eagle 1 bug and tar remover once before I was into serious car care and it worked wonders. If that doesnt work like everyone else said go with clay. You will probably get a few fine scratches from this process but its nothing Adam's 4" pad kit wont take care of. Just try to maintain it after :D. Also, whenever I re-wax I go back with a claybar every time to prevent hazing from the wax. Just a little tip.

And always clay (if needed - baggie test it) if you are going to put a polisher on the finish. Don't want any little embedded chunks of stuff coming off the finish and running around under the pad, creating mayhem!

Also, whenever I re-wax I go back with a claybar every time to prevent hazing from the wax. Just a little tip.

Not sure I understand this one, you go back and clay after waxing ???

I know its not what 99% of people do but I just do it as a frequent routine. It being a daily driver on military installations it would get dirty driving 2 minutes down the road to the motorpool and I would always wax after washes knowing where I drive can have stuff damage/swirl up the paint.

Archived