Customer Service 866.965.0400

1'st Time Engine Clean Procedure

musclejunkie

Question

I am going to attempt my first engine compartment detailing on the '11 Mustang. What are the do's and don'ts as far as what areas to protect with a baggie and not get wet? I'm going to use 50/50 APC and Boars Hair brush. Thanks amigos. :D

Your Mustang Owner's Manual will show you exactly what you need to cover prior to washing the engine compartment. It's under the heading "Cleaning". If you don't have the manual handy you can download it off the internet.

Thanks! They actually have some good engine compartment cleaning info in the manual! :thumbsup:

I normally, cover any filters or electronic devices. Lightly mist the engine bay with water, sprits down with APC, scrub it down, lightly rinse off the water. I then Start the car, and let it sit idleing for 15 20 mins while I wash the rest of the car.

If its not really dirty and your affraid of ruining sumthing, use waterless wash :D

I'm a little concerned about using APC in my engine compartment. There are a lot of painted surfaces (APC is not good for paint) and the block is aluminum. I don't think APC is good on aluminum either. Maybe a 50/50 dilution would be safer, but still worried the aluminum could turn black. Should I just foam it with Adam's Shampoo then hit it with the boars hair and a light rinse? Sorry to turn this into a science project.;)

My engine bay is detailed every weekend.

I want to take the felt hood liner off since it is getting funky and really does nothing for the car except keep heat in.

I took mine off. It was dusty from regular road grime and then volcanic ash from when I was in Alaska during the eruption of a volcano....It was time for it to go. LOL

I spray down the engine lightly with water in my 2010 F150 just to get wet. Spray APC where needed, fpray off using fire hose nozzle but certainly not at high pressure.

Finish off with SVRT and In & Out where needed. very simple, I don't cover anything.

Archived