Customer Service 866.965.0400

Green Wheel Cleaner protect agains rotor rust?

Pyrophor2011

Question

10 answers to this question

Not that I'm aware of or have ever tried/noticed. On my last car I took the rotors off and painted the rotor "hats" with a clear paint to protect them from rust. Alternately you could replace your rotors with some that are zinc plated; those are designed not to rust at all.

Rich

Not that I'm aware of or have ever tried/noticed. On my lost car I took the rotors off and painted the rotor "hats" with a clear paint to protect them from rust. Alternately you could replace your rotors with some that are zinc plated; those are designed not to rust at all.

Rich

I painted my hats as well!

Green Wheel Cleaner is just that - a cleaner. It doesn't do anything to protect or prevent from issues like rust. Really nothing will except for painting the rotor hats with high temp paint. You'll get surface rust on the face of the rotors anytime they get wet, the good thing is that they'll be clean as soon as you drive and hit the brakes.

On my XLR I painted them with BBQ black paint which has a nice neutral gray/black color to it. I get a lot of comments on it because it doesn't really look painted, just clean.

Bruce

On my XLR I painted them with BBQ black paint which has a nice neutral gray/black color to it. I get a lot of comments on it because it doesn't really look painted, just clean.

Bruce

:iagree: i agree i painted mine with bbq paint as well. also masked of the face of the rotor and painted the vented area and its looked great for 2 years now........................bbq is perfect, strong, lasts long, higher heat rating then high heat automotive paint from local stores. i think automotive heat resitant paint is 750f and bbq is 950f

Bruce

:iagree: Winner winner, chicken dinner. Did the same to the Vette and they still look great.

Last set of rotors I bought were drilled/slotted and had the hats and veins painted. They look great.

As far as the Zinc coated rotors are concerned, they still rust on the face. The first time you use the brakes the zinc coating is gone. The exposed metal will rust, but as Dylan said, as soon as you use the brakes they will be shiny.

Unless you put some sort of VERY expensive rotors made from ceramic or carbon fiber (aka Enzo), you will have rust on the face.

My DBA rotors on the front of my G8 came with painted hats, but on the back, I just used some generic semi-gloss paint. I did them in the spring of 2010 and they still look great. Granted, they are on the rear so heat isn't as large an issue.

On my wheels, I put a coat of MSS on every so often and wash them with Adams car wash and water in a spray bottle. 99% of my driving is highway so brake dust is a non-event for me and I use Hawk HPS pads which are moderately dusty.

Chris

Archived