Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lytro - new camera/image technology. Pretty cool!!

Team Adam's

My father in law, who is a major camera buff and the person who got me hooked on DSLR photography showed this to me yesterday and it blew me away. Real game changer if it catches on. I added myself to the waiting list today.

http://www.lytro.com/

Its basically a light field camera... for those that don't understand what that means check out this link:

http://www.lytro.com/science_inside

The long and short of it is, you don't mess with camera settings, the camera captures the image in a 3D fashion so rather than focusing the camera, or playing with aperture settings to affect the image, it just takes what amounts to a multi layered image.

The end result is something like whats below... a 'living photograph' that you can manipulate the focus of simply by clicking. Try it... click the flower, then one of the women, then another one, click a random place in the grass... notice how the camera focus changes. This is embedded in the function of the camera, how it captures the image, an the software thats used to view them.

Very cool stuff. A camera like what I use now... you set up to focus on an area and thats it, the image is captured with that focus. With this the whole image in every aspect is there. All of the light is captured, so you can change the impact of a picture anytime.

<iframe width="800" height="830" src="http://www.lytro.com/pictures/lyt-10/embed?utm_source=Embed&utm_medium=EmbedLink" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="800" height="830" src="http://www.lytro.com/pictures/lyt-12/embed?utm_source=Embed&utm_medium=EmbedLink" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Theres a bunch more of the living photos in the gallery to play with:

http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

Very cool! A lot of instances when that could come in very handy, but..

Wow, but it seems it would take away the art/fun of photography

Yes and it will most likely never catch on with the hardcore photographers.

It's okay, but I'm no photographer. That second pic, when you click on the left flower and then the right, the other one goes out of focus. What if I wanted them both in focus? And how come it looks like the second girl in the first pic is feeling up the girl in the foreground? :lol:

It's okay, but I'm no photographer. That second pic, when you click on the left flower and then the right, the other one goes out of focus. What if I wanted them both in focus?

I'd imagine it has the capability of allowing for any number of focal points, all the 'info' is there... the clickable pics I posted are demo.

From a photography standpoint though, generally you want your subject in focus, not multiple subjects.

And how come it looks like the second girl in the first pic is feeling up the girl in the foreground? :lol:

If you're on a forum, posting about young girls, and you look around but can't figure out who the dirty old pervert is... its you. :jester:

Very cool! A lot of instances when that could come in very handy, but..

Yes and it will most likely never catch on with the hardcore photographers.

I remember hearing something similar, that professional photographers wouldn't accept the technology... but that was with DSLRs... once it proves itself I cannot imagine professionals not liking it and using it to tweak photos to get the best possible pic.

It will be cool to watch this to see what happens!

:cheers:

Dave

This issue I have with this technology is that as a photographer/artist I want to GUIDE the viewers eyes to whatever I want to draw to your attention. One tool I use for this is DOF (what is in focus) This technology will not allow me to control DOF and thus take one tool out of my tool box. Other tools are composition, use of lines in the photo, light/dark/ and lighting...

For the consumer that screwed up the shot and had Auntie Em out of focus I can imagine this will be a lifesaver....

Respecfully,

Mike

I remember hearing something similar, that professional photographers wouldn't accept the technology... but that was with DSLRs... once it proves itself I cannot imagine professionals not liking it and using it to tweak photos to get the best possible pic.

It will be cool to watch this to see what happens!

:cheers:

Dave

Completely different scenario, this eliminates the largest point of creativity/knowledge/experience of taking photo's and makes it a 'hey I got lucky by clicking here' thing.

Not knocking it, a lot of potential for a lot of situations, but it won't replace traditional cameras/exposures with serious photographers.

Archived