Customer Service 866.965.0400

What are those weird things?

NYJets77

Question

Now that I've become really A-R about my car's finish and detailing, I've noticed these little dark brown dots here and there. The last time I washed the car, I found one on the passenger side pillar, one on the hood, and one on the top of the back bumper near one of the tail lights.

They're usually about the size of the "@" symbol on your keyboard, always dark brown. Squirting them with DS and letting it soak in will not always remove it - sometimes I have to apply a little pressure with a folded paper towel. So far, they haven't left any lasting mark, which I attributed to BW.

So what are these things? :confused:

21 answers to this question

my opinion, its rail dust. is your vehicle light in color?..................regardless, sounds like you need to clay your car.

white, but I clayed about 3 months ago. Odds on favorite is artillery fungus...

my opinion, its rail dust. is your vehicle light in color?..................regardless, sounds like you need to clay your car.

You may have artillery fungus. It's common if you park near a bark dusted planting bed. Google it and see if that's what it is. You can find them on cars and houses and they're difficult to remove.

:iagree: Very difficult to remove. Could very well be what the OP is experiencing...

Washed my car Sunday, and did the sideways check on the vomit/fungus/thing area: no scratches. Prolly the BW on the car and the DS on the *soft* paper towel (I KNOW! I KNOW! :D )

In other news: I Dawn'd by wife's RDX, Revive, Brilliant Glaze, Americana.

LOL - you guys have some crazy great products! The car still looks wet and shiny! Looked so good, I got some :banana: as a reward. :lolsmack:

lol nice PG way of explaining your reward :jester:

Washed my car Sunday, and did the sideways check on the vomit/fungus/thing area: no scratches. Prolly the BW on the car and the DS on the *soft* paper towel (I KNOW! I KNOW! :D )

In other news: I Dawn'd by wife's RDX, Revive, Brilliant Glaze, Americana.

LOL - you guys have some crazy great products! The car still looks wet and shiny! Looked so good, I got some :banana: as a reward. :lolsmack:

I'm with Dylan...and will add Wood Borer/Carpenter Bee droppings...they are yellowish brown spots about the size you are describing.

I would get them all the time when I was living a little further in the country. I did an extensive investigation after my car had a few on it after being fully detailing and never leaving the garage.

A soaking with Waterless Wash would do the trick for me.

wow, i notice these same marks and now im reading that its FLY VOMIT!? lmao wow... i never park under trees and i know exactly what these marks are, shoot, part of the reason why i ordered some WCW was for bugs and these spots.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

but yeah man, put the paper towels down and step away from the vehicle! lol<o:p></o:p>

i wiped some stuff off my door monthssss ago with a water bottle and a paper towel wow, worst idea ever... <o:p></o:p>

took it to the dealer and the guy in the back that washes all the cars (incorrectly lol) put something on it and rubbed it around, masked the damage a little but i knew it could be fixed up more... <o:p></o:p>

THAT and the swirling is what started my search that led me to adams products. :rockon:<o:p></o:p>

Try a little straight car wash soap on a sponge. Let it soak a minute then it should come off. If it don't work try to clay it. You will need to reapply wax in the area you clayed, but that should remove it. But please don't use a paper towel on the paint.

Could be a couple of things, the most likely is 'fly vomit'

As a lot of us learn via the national geographic channel or a Jeff Goldblum movie, flies vomit on their food to liquify it, then eat it.

Usually the little orange/brownish dots that size are from flies.

I'll second the input that wiping your car anywhere other than the glass with a paper towel is a HORRIBLE idea.

The first time I used a microfiber towel, and it didn't get the entire dot.

Your explanation is now making me regret asking what it is. :lolsmack:

You are touching your paint with a "folded paper towel"? Is that not causing scratches? I am not trying to be a jerk, but I wouldn't touch my paint with a paper towel. Paper towels are made from trees. If a cheap microfiber will scratch, what would wood fibers do? Where are you parking your car? In a parking garage, outside under a tree, in a industrial area? Have your tried to clay them? If so, how did that work? Pictures would really help with the diagnosis.

The paper towel mostly touches the dot-thingy and little else. After I'm done, there's no scratch or swirl.

I did take a pic with my cell phone - its still hard to see, but it looks like a small mole/birthmark.

Never park under trees, no industrial areas around here, no parking garage. There's never very many of them, but I don't know if these are biological or what. Or if there's a better way to clean them.

Could be a couple of things, the most likely is 'fly vomit'

As a lot of us learn via the national geographic channel or a Jeff Goldblum movie, flies vomit on their food to liquify it, then eat it.

Usually the little orange/brownish dots that size are from flies.

I'll second the input that wiping your car anywhere other than the glass with a paper towel is a HORRIBLE idea.

You are touching your paint with a "folded paper towel"? Is that not causing scratches? I am not trying to be a jerk, but I wouldn't touch my paint with a paper towel. Paper towels are made from trees. If a cheap microfiber will scratch, what would wood fibers do? Where are you parking your car? In a parking garage, outside under a tree, in a industrial area? Have your tried to clay them? If so, how did that work? Pictures would really help with the diagnosis.

Archived