Customer Service 866.965.0400

VRT Question

redtaco17

Question

Hey guys, new to the forum but I've been using Adam's products for a while. Anyway, I use VRT on my truck's black trim and tires. I must say that I am very impressed by the shine and ease of application. But, after even a quick rain shower, some of it washes off, leaving a residue on the paint. Specifically, I notice this on the sides of the bed, where the trim is on the edges of it. I was wondering if this is normal, or maybe I am applying too much?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

24 answers to this question

Yes it is normal. I've notcied this and my solution is to do the detail as early in the day as possible to let the VRT really soak in and dry. Also, for the trim you can apply a lighter coat as well to prevent this.

It wont harm your paint if it gets on it. Just go over it with Detail Spray and a micro fiber towel and your set!

Hey guys, new to the forum but I've been using Adam's products for a while. Anyway, I use VRT on my truck's black trim and tires. I must say that I am very impressed by the shine and ease of application. But, after even a quick rain shower, some of it washes off, leaving a residue on the paint. Specifically, I notice this on the sides of the bed, where the trim is on the edges of it. I was wondering if this is normal, or maybe I am applying too much?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for your business and joining the forum.

Just to add to what Patrick wrote, the reason the VRT comes off if it rains is because it is water based as opposed to oil based. We make it water based so it doesn't collect dirt, spray off the wheels when you drive, and so it comes off the paint easily.

The downfall is you need to reapply it after washes and through heavy rain. I agree with what Patrick said, to give it some time to dry so it soaks in. Think of the VRT as a lotion in the sense that it soaks in, conditions, and protects (there is a SPF 35) the surface from drying out or fading.

I hope this helps and please feel to call or email me if you have any other questions. My direct number is below.

Cheers!

Mine does the same thing, like I have run-off going down the sides of my truck bed and step rails. However, just makes me clean again......:) I didn't panic, just assumed since it was water based that it would do that. Ashley made me feel smart by confirming my instincts! ;) LOL

Mine does the same thing, like I have run-off going down the sides of my truck bed and step rails. However, just makes me clean again......:) I didn't panic, just assumed since it was water based that it would do that. Ashley made me feel smart by confirming my instincts! ;) LOL

You are SMART! You use Adam's products!

Matt, I found that I was putting on too much also on the 32. I would even get runs on the tires after driving it. I have found that I do the tires the night before I am going to a show or at the latest 2 hours before I want to leave. I then take a clean towel and wipe the excess off just before I leave. It seems to have worked very well and the tires still look great. Just a thought.

VRT is great and has many uses. I wipe down the bed our El Camino which has Rhino lining applied and it looks better than new. Then I wipe down the vinyl tonneau cover and it looks new again. Seems to last about a month between applications.

I was thinking of diluting some with distilled water and trying to spray it as a replacement for our recently lost friend, In & Out spray.

Bruce

VRT is great and has many uses. I wipe down the bed our El Camino which has Rhino lining applied and it looks better than new. Then I wipe down the vinyl tonneau cover and it looks new again. Seems to last about a month between applications.

I was thinking of diluting some with distilled water and trying to spray it as a replacement for our recently lost friend, In & Out spray.

Bruce

Interesting :lurk: Keep us posted

I am having an ongoing problem using VRT on my 08 Yukon with 20" factory wheels and tires. Even after using VRT on the tires weeks in advance using my Adams' black applicator sponges, when I take my monthly trips to Lake Havasu, the entire side of my car is covered in light gray 1/2" lines from the belt line to the running boards.

I first thought that it happened after launching my boat and getting the tires wet. However, my latest trip back to California Yesterday resulted in the same marks. I seems to happen more as the weather warms up. I have never had any tire dressing come off like this.

I have talked to Adam about it and he is just as perplexed as I am. I love the satin finish it leaves, but I am not happy with what it does to my car.

Any ideas anyone?

That is weird, anyone else out there have Bridgestones ? As you can see from this picture my GY's are horrible when it comes to holding on to tire dressing, there must be 1,000,000 little ribs ALL the way around the sidewall !!!!!!!

But no VRT slinging at all :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Image-417A41A4B38211DD.jpgImage-417A56FFB38211DD.jpg

That is strange... my Eagle RSA's have tons of tiny ribs on the sidewalls, but no slinging.

rszdc0832.jpg

Have you really scrubbed those tires down good? Perhaps theres a layer of another product under the VRT thats preventing it from fully bonding with the tire??

Try a full strength APC and a stiff brusch + aggressive scrubbing next time you wash. Then apply your VRT sparingly b/c this could also be a result of just too much product.

I am having an ongoing problem using VRT on my 08 Yukon with 20" factory wheels and tires. Even after using VRT on the tires weeks in advance using my Adams' black applicator sponges, when I take my monthly trips to Lake Havasu, the entire side of my car is covered in light gray 1/2" lines from the belt line to the running boards.

I first thought that it happened after launching my boat and getting the tires wet. However, my latest trip back to California Yesterday resulted in the same marks. I seems to happen more as the weather warms up. I have never had any tire dressing come off like this.

I have talked to Adam about it and he is just as perplexed as I am. I love the satin finish it leaves, but I am not happy with what it does to my car.

Any ideas anyone?

Hi Jerry, again this is truly perplexing and I'm very sorry that I cannot easily identify a solution here. I asked a mechanic friend, who had an interesting thought that seemed plausible. Wheel bearing grease gets soaked when the truck is submersed while launching the boat. (He suggested that wheel grease on a boat trailer should be greased after 8-10 times it's submerged for best life from the bearings.) Would the truck need more frequent greasing if submersed?

That grease, once submersed, becomes slightly less viscous and more apt to sling. The warmer that grease becomes, even more apt it is to 'sling.'

Is it possible that the actual wheel grease is slinging, and in fact, it's not the dressing?

At this point, I'd suggest not dressing the tires before your next trip, and see if the lines still appear. That will be an excellent way to determine if the VRT is the cause of the small lines or sling marks on your truck.

Again, in the 9 years that we have promoted and sold the VRT, this is the first report of this happening, so I don't yet have any experience to draw from!

Please let me know if there are any lines that appear after your next trip. Thanks and again, my apologies for not having a better answer Jerry.:confused:

-Adam

Hello Adam

Thank you for taking the time to help. I understand the wheel bearing grease theory. However, the marks are water soluble and appear from both the front and rear tires. Since the rear bearings are sealed, nothing should be coming from those wheels. Moreover, I experienced the same marks last trip even though I did not launch the boat. I'll PM you in a few.

Jerry