Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mint.com? anyone?

MAYBEN

The Wife sent me a link to Mint.com and said that there are a few people she works with that utilize this to help track their budget and expenses.

I don't know how I feel about giving a company access to my bank accounts, credit cards, etc. I will look into it more and see if it is safe enough to try.

We would like an easy way to help keep track of what we pay for each month. This has a few cool features to assist. I know we can buy something like Quicken, but then have to manually enter everything in, where this software pulls it automatically. I may be wrong, but thats my current understanding.

Do any of you have experience with mint.com? Any suggestions on a software to help?

Thanks!

Nick

PS: I know I can do it the old fashioned way and write everything down, etc. but we are trying to explore a more efficient way..

I used mint. It works fairly well. I had it for my fone mainly so I could keep track. But u gota do alot of setting up and catagorizing to set all ur budgets. I just used it to see my account balance cuz harris doesn't have any app. I had issues with it being up to date on my phone but that's technology. Other then that its pretty legit.

Sorry for typos. On my droid.

Money Magazine recommends mint.com quite often, so they must be pretty confident in it's security. I tried it once a few years but could never get it to work with a few of my financial institutions and eventually gave up on it. It may be more refined now, though.

If you are wanting to keep track of your Budget, Income, and Expenses use Quicken. I have used it for many years.

Quicken probably has more functionality (more than the typical user needs), but at a cost.

Mint is free and is pretty intuitive.

I haven't used Mint.com but have been a user of quicken for years (though I quit using it a couple years ago).

Quicken was able to link to financial institutions, if you wanted, to download transactions. All you had to do then was change any automatic categorization if you wanted.

Personally I don't like my data being out on the cloud with links to financial institutions. Too much trust all in one place. I would rather stick with the software and data on my local computer, which would be less of a target for hackers.

Just to be clear...

Mint is a good tool to tell you where your money WAS spent each month. I suppose it could be used for pre-month budgeting, but I use a spreadsheet (that I have built through the years to my liking) to do a monthly budget at the beginning of every month.

If you want the spreadsheet I have, PM me your email. It is just an excel spreadsheet.

I knew I recognized the name Intuit.. I'll look into Quicken a little more.. that may be a decent tool since I also have a NeatReceipts Mobile Scanner that we got for Christmas last year..

maybe I'll make an account with Mint and test it out even without account info..

again, I appreciate everyone's input!

i started using mint last month, and for the price i paid for it, no other software compares :jester:

FYI, Intuit owns both Mint and Quicken. you have your choice of having nearly the same program web based or solely on one computer. i believe quicken also automatically pulls bank info too.

Mint has bank-level online security and is a read only site, no moving money between accounts or buying stuff from it.

https://www.mint.com/how-it-works/security/

they make their money with ads on how to save you money by using different banks for loans/credit cards/interest in checking/savings accounts, which is bearable to ignore if your not interested.

with any program like this, there is some extra time spent initially getting everything set up and a budget planned. i check it daily and re-categorize anything that has cleared the bank thats not in the right.

my first month using it, i transferred more money to savings than i ever had before! my wife wasn't too thrilled when i gave her her own budget (DO NOT call it an allowance, you will be sleeping in the dog house). but we made an agreement if she stuck to it and didn't go over, i would take her out to eat to a fancy restaurant (not telling her i budgeted for that dinner beforehand just in case)

There is way too much of my info out there already, I'll keep this stuff right here on my MAC, I've been using Quicken for 7 years. I just upgraded to Essentials so it would work with Lion.

But I found an app today that I really like, CheckBook Pro. I grabbed it for $20 on the Apple store, so far I like it better than Quicken, it is great for just simple checkbook tracking.

The CFO has been using it for a while. Its had its ups and downs. Got bought up by another company. I was told the transition wasn't smooth. But all in all I guess it works well. I avoid it at all costs myself! LOL

Nick, I tell ya what... give me an Adam's $25 gift card every month and I'll tell you were your money is and how much you saved and spent!!!!!!

I seriously doubt Nick would fall for that one again, I'm still not giving his credit cards back :lol::lol:

Archived