Customer Service 866.965.0400

Headlight Haze

300c

Question

All right most car headlights start to get a haze on the glass over time. I can not find a way to get them to look new. I've tried to clay it and many types of glass cleaners but nothing seems to work. Is my only option to replace the whole light housing or does anyone have a trick to get them cleaned up. It's the only part of my car I can't make shine. Thanks for any:help:.

If you have a PC and the pads here's what to do.

Clay

Swirl & Haze with the Orange Pad

Revive Polish White Pad or Orange

Wipe off, should see quite a difference. If that doesnt work then you may need to look at replacing. I have done this to a couple cars and it worked perfectly!

3M makes a kit that starts out with a 500 grit pad. Starting with polish takes to long. You have to remove the bad layer of plastic so do it fast. Not fast in rpms but as in the grit number. I've done a bunch of them this way it works. Also I do not use the 3m kit .:)

3M plastic cleaner will make them like new. Apply by hand the buff with micro fiber. I do have the 3M kit for sanding and polihing these, works great. But if your lenses are not totally wasted the cleaner usually does the trick.

So can anyone give me more details on wet sanding headlights?? I hit mine today with the clay, SHR, RP, then cleaned up with detail spray. (by hand, PC is on its way) It got the haze out pretty good, but theres a good amount of pitting and wear. I found some 400 grit, and 2000 grit sandpaper within my junk. If I use these to wet sand, will they polish back up like new? I dont have much sanding exp in anything. Just want to make sure before I mess them up worse.

Thanks!

So can anyone give me more details on wet sanding headlights?? I hit mine today with the clay, SHR, RP, then cleaned up with detail spray. (by hand, PC is on its way) It got the haze out pretty good, but theres a good amount of pitting and wear. I found some 400 grit, and 2000 grit sandpaper within my junk. If I use these to wet sand, will they polish back up like new? I dont have much sanding exp in anything. Just want to make sure before I mess them up worse.

Thanks!

NO! That is not the way to do this. Wet sanding grits start at 1000 and go up to 3000. You start with the course sandpaper and step your way down to the least course (1000-1500-2000-2500-3000). You have to undo the damage of the courser grit with the lesser grit, one after the other. If you go too deep with the 1000, then you'll screw up the whole process.

I suggest you forget the wet sanding method and stick to the compound suggestions. Sanding is for the pros.

400 Grit is way to coarse for that project.

It depends on how bad they are, by pitting I assume rock chips? If that is the case then there really isn't a fix for that. If it is just a haze, you can use the 2000 grit and sand with that. Just keep the area you are working on super wet. I usually add a couple drops of dish soap for the extra lubrication.

Check this thread out over on VFO

http://www.virtualford.org/vfforum/showthread.php?t=5967

That was a set of headlights I did for my Father's Lincoln.

My headlights are badly hazed but they also have some areas were it almost looks paint that is spider web cracking. Is it too late for these or can I save them. I did some wet sanding with 1k-3k and they are allot cleaner but the spider web affect is still there.

If it has spider web cracking then you lenses may be done for. A replacement seems like the wise choice.

For something simply clear and used Eagle ones never dull with pretty good results. Didnt last long but it made it clearer for a couple days at least of course this was back in high school when I had no idea how to clear headlights or even really good steps for detailing.

Here is what you need, along with SHR and FMP!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#f3f4f5><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle width="41%">430.jpg</TD><TD width="59%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="54%"> </TD><TD width="46%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=redheading1 align=middle colSpan=2>Adam's 4" Spot Pad Buffing Kit</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2>Catalog No: B300</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2>Price: $29.95 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>BACKORDER Available again 4/13! This incredibly effective 4" Spot Pad Buffing Kit is the ticket to scratch removal, and headlight restoration. For use with both a cordless drill, and includes the attachment for the Porter Cable Polisher!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD background=/images/box_06.gif> </TD></TR><TR><TD>box_07.gif</TD><TD background=/images/box_08.gif> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I did watch those videos last night. I am not doubting the quality of the products as I have not used any of them to this point.

I am just wondering as they have been sanded on a fair amount and the spider webbing is not being touched by the sanding system. I am thinking that the swirl/haze remover will not touch it either as it appears to be in the middle of the plastic. I am contemplating working on the inside of the lenses as i am thinking some it might be on the inside. The lenses are currently apart for another project.

I did watch those videos last night. I am not doubting the quality of the products as I have not used any of them to this point.

I am just wondering as they have been sanded on a fair amount and the spider webbing is not being touched by the sanding system. I am thinking that the swirl/haze remover will not touch it either as it appears to be in the middle of the plastic. I am contemplating working on the inside of the lenses as i am thinking some it might be on the inside. The lenses are currently apart for another project.

Personally I think they're IN the plastic. I don't think any form of restoring will remove them.

Almost looks like the headlight was hit and it micro cracked or something.

Chris

Nothing is going to fix the spider webbing but new lenses. However, if you want clear lenses with spider webbing in them, you have a guide to go by.

Guys I appreciate all the info. I am working on putting together an order for all the items I am going to need to do all my cars.

Sorry if I sounded like I was doubting the Adams products just wanted to get a different answer than the one I was very sure was inevitable.