Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any Home Brewer's Here?

Z71_Denali

Other than detailing as a hobby, how many of you pride yourself in making your one beer?

i picked it up about 3 years ago when i got one of those "brew at home kits" for christmas. 1 good and 2 terrible batches later, the supplies were put in the back of my closet, and surprisingly survived 3 moves, and 1 wife to this day! :willy:

a buddy asked me if i was still making it a few days ago, and since then i haven't stopped reading the book "How to Brew" by John J Palmer. great book! read it online @ www.howtobrew.com if you have a spare 3 hours this weekend!

i'm thinking about dusting off my old kit, buying a few more supplies, and making a new recipe! i'm thinking about trying a Cream Ale, Peach Ale, or Blonde Ale using malt extract, dry or liquid yeast and some primetabs in the bottles.

what do you guys think?

Make a shout out if you LOVE to brew, too! :grouphug:

Couple of my buddies have been doing it for a few years. I own a restaurant and bar, so we are going to start a seperate business and start making beer at my restaurant to start. Then we will see how it goes and hopefully expand from there! Its so huge right now, and nobody in my town has a microbrewery so we are trying to be the first!

Couple of my buddies have been doing it for a few years. I own a restaurant and bar, so we are going to start a seperate business and start making beer at my restaurant to start. Then we will see how it goes and hopefully expand from there! Its so huge right now, and nobody in my town has a microbrewery so we are trying to be the first!

thats awesome!

there is a place here called BJ's Brewhouse. i think its a franchise now. Best pizza in town by the way. anyway they brew their own beer in house. they have this whole section next to the kitchen where the action takes place. i think they have something like 20 original beers on tap!

when i grow up i wanna be a brewmaster! this boring engineering job will have to pay the bills for now :jester:

haha, I a pretty excited to add it! I think it will be great for the brewing business, but also for my restaurant. It should create a nice buzz in town! Kind of a small town, we really only have just a handful of nice places to to choose from here. To give you an idea of size, we really only have a few chains, applebees, dennys, and then a bunch of fast food places, and a few nice locally owned establishments besides ours.

heres our website

themillhouserestaurant.com

I've been wanting to try eventually... just haven't gotten around to it.

I do plenty of beer drinking though :D

if you do, get a starter kit from a homebrew supply store, NOT one of those "Mr. Beer" kits! either online or at a local store

if you find one for between $100-$200 and it comes with 2 buckets or a bucket and a carboy, then you know it's legit. support your local homebrew supply store! see what you got in your area!

the kit i got for christmas a few years back was a Coopers kit, and i only use the bucket from it now as a primary fermenter and bottling bucket. i threw the plastic bottles out and gross "canned" ingredients, and had to buy a glass carboy for secondary fementation, along with an auto siphon and bottle capper for glass bottles

I have been into this for about 6 months now and am sad to say it has taken over my detail craze. it is tinkering, cooking, and beer. fun stuff. I guess I was tired of fighting rain. if you spend 4 hours washing a car then it rains, all of your efforts are lost. spend 4 hours making beer and it rains and you are drinking cold beer inside :). I have done about 10 batches in the last 6 months and only one turned BAD. some pretty cool other ones.

I've done it but I've been on a hiatus! It's a lot of fun, very rewarding and a lot of work. Cleaning is the worst of it as you probably know. Want to brew some truly good beer, put away the extracts and powdered malt and start mashing and kegging. You'l never go back.

I've done it but I've been on a hiatus! It's a lot of fun, very rewarding and a lot of work. Cleaning is the worst of it as you probably know. Want to brew some truly good beer, put away the extracts and powdered malt and start mashing and kegging. You'l never go back.

I have been kegging since the beginning and will soon be doing all grain. just getting all of the parts and pieces together. I cant WAIT to go all grain.

I have been kegging since the beginning and will soon be doing all grain. just getting all of the parts and pieces together. I cant WAIT to go all grain.

I only wish they made Cornelius kegs in 15 gallon size. lol

what equipment would i need to start kegging?

once i get a house, i'm going to find a used kegerator in my area and start kegging too!

Hit me up sometime and come test some out or if you wanna jump in on a brew day lemme know!

cool! i'll be ordering supplies next tuesday after i'm back from my labor day vacation, and will be brewing next friday.

looks like Rosharon is only 37 miles from my place in the Galleria area.

I have a great uncle who makes some White Lightning! you can really feel the burn in that :jester:

I keep reading up on it and it doesn't sound TOO hard, just gotta be careful lol. I'm moving out with a buddy of mine who likes to drink whiskey so we'll see how that flies by with him

• 2 weeks later...

to get my mind off the crazy thing i just did, selling my car to have no more debt, i booked my weekend for brewing up some beer and doing an annual polish/wax on my truck. the details on the truck will come in a new thread after i finish it up tomorrow.

last night i received a shipment of some beer supplies i needed including a recipe for a cream ale, and some new bottles.

i started out with a little preparation. set all the supplies out, and sanitized everything!

dfb66f70.jpg

next up i got 2 gallons of water up to 155 degrees, shut the heat off, and steeped some specialy grains for 25 minutes.

40b3e79e.jpg

fcc5e137.jpg

then, i added another gallon of water, brought it up to a rolling boil, and added 6 lbs of dried malt extract.

32fe97e1.jpg

returned it to a rolling boil, waiting for the "hot break" where no more foam is on top of the wort, added my bittering hops, and set a timer for 60 minutes

6a2db65c.jpg

5 minutes before the boil was complete, i added some finishing hops to give it a nice aroma. then quickly moved the hot pot into the sink for an ice bath. no pics at this point, i was on a time crunch to get the wort below 80 degrees. i filled my sanitized fermenter with 2.5 gallons of water, then poured the chilled wort into it. i added a little more water to get the final volume to 5-1/4 gallons before pitching the yeast.

now here the fermenter sits inside a 20 gallon trash can filled with water. this is a trick i was told to keep the temps 5-10 degrees below room temperature, as the optimum fermenting temps for the yeast are 57-70 degrees for this particular strain.

3c2d6e39.jpg

i woke up this morning, and before getting busy detailing my truck, i checked the airlock... its bubbling, which is a great sign the yeast is alive and converting the sugars into alcohol!

7676cf47.jpg

now its just a waiting game. in 5-7 days i'll transfer the beer into a glass carboy to start the secondary fermentation stage which should help clarify the beer. then 5-7 days after that, when the beer is clear, i'll bottle it. then 2-3 weeks after that, the priming sugar that i'll add at bottling will be finished carbonating it. at last i will be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor!!!

Archived