Customer Service 866.965.0400

how often to wax?

Ronnie_B

Question

14 answers to this question

You will see a variety of different responses to your question. With MSS, I lay it down every 4-5 months or so, particularly when the water beading/sheeting isn't up to my liking.

As far as waxing too often, this is hardly the case with most people unless you are stripping/waxing weekly. It won't hurt the vehicle or anything, but it is a waste of time/product IMHO.

Yes, there is such a thing as waxing TOO much. It won't hurt the finish, but too much wax build up will make the paint look hazy.

What goheels said is good advice about the water not beading. If it not beading like it did when you put it on, put another coat on. As for a time frame... depends on what wax/sealant you are using. I think you could go an easy 2 months between waxings. There are things that could make that time frame less, but 2 months should be good.

also depends on how often you drive, if you park it in a garage or under a car port. and what wax your using.

i've read somewhere here that MSS can last up to a year. i personally have had one coat of Americana on my daily driver, which used to be under a car port for 6 months. now mine was kind of an exception cuz we've been in a drought and unless i'm actually driving it or going to the store, it was parked under a cover. where i live now, its exposed to the elements so i've got a coat of MSS on it, and i'll be putting a coat of Americana on probably every 3 months from now on.

If I have time when I am washing and detailing my car I love to put a coat of Americana on the hood, roof and truck lid. Since I drive my car all week it gets beat by the HOT TEXAS SUN, no rain. I am waiting for it to cool off to clay the car and start all over again with the process.

I've always wondered , how often do you wax your vehicle? is there a such thing as too often to wax a car?

There are a lot of variables. Does your car live outside or in garage, is it driven in the winter? And yes you can get wax build up and it will cause cloudiness. A good rule of thumb is 2-3 times a year.

every thursday! that is my story and I am sticking to it!!!!!!

Wax all depends on many things:

how many times you wash it

does it sit outside

what method you use to wash it

lastly, what wax did you apply

While the buttery wax is very simple, you have to think of it like this...... the easier to put on and take off, the sooner it will come off by itself. Correct me if I am wrong but,

buttery wax: usually 3-4 washes

MSW: 5-10 washes or 3-5 months

Americana: 6 months depending on washing and the elements.

I personally do a full correction on my vehicle every6-10 months and apply 2-3 coats of wax in between. (When i correct I seal it with MSW).

Also, remember MSW needs to stay on the car for up to 45 minutes (depending on temp and humidity) to fully cure, and then up to 24 hours before applying a second coat of your choice of wax. The wax on top is only as good as the wax under it! So if you apply buttery and top it off with Americana without stripping it first, then you might have to apply sooner!

Hope that helps, good luck!

what wax are you using?

Americana, and there is a coat of MSW somewhere under there probably. If I go a whole month the water beading gets really lame, so every 2 weeks seems to be fine. The paint doesn't get cloudy from it (I can tell because of the blue and black stripes).

Archived