Customer Service 866.965.0400

real detail product cost

Fit08

Question

With all this chatter about running a detailing business and or doing it semi full time I'm left with this question I've yet seen asked.

Has anyone really figures out a dollar amount for product use. Yes it will vary from car to car but someone must have a baseline worked out.

This is my thinking process. Yoy would use say 1/2 bootle detail spary to clay so bottle price/2 Now clay bar divided into 3rds and so on.

This is to give you a rough $ amount for product useage.

Just a thought??

This is an interesting discussion and a question that I thought about quite a bit. Since I have been doing my own cars for a bit and starting to do other's cars I wanted to know my costs so that I could set prices.

At the beginning of the year I created a spreadsheet that included many different aspects, including Adam's product materials, time, water useage (both car wash and cleaning towels) and even factoring in long term consumables (such as pad and towel wear/replacement). The sheet then allows me to set a price and see my profit (estimated hourly rate) from that particular pricing scenario.

Regarding detail spray amount used for doing clay... if I am working in the shade I average 8 ozs for a normal car (if in the sun, it can double) and a large SUV can be a few ozs more.

:cheers:

It took me over a year of questioning to figure this one out:

As for me, I make less then 15hr doing 2 full blown details

(Inside And Out, Truck, Van, BMW, or Honda, whatever, I can do it in 4hrs “period”)

This is for a online retail dealership every day. So I calculated my at home details to be right around $15hr+$15hr for supplies, to me this makes since and comes pretty close to the amount of products I use.

So at $30 hr I tell all my Home customers that I will spend 8 hr's on your car which is twice the amount of time spent per car or truck at my day job, which ends up to be about $240 per vehicle on my home details! That's more then I make at my retail detail day gig, and makes the most since to me right now!

If they want more done to there car like headlight restoration or extra passes on the polishing stage then they get charged $30hr, plain and simple. Maybe one day I'll work my way up to Dylan’s hourly :jester:, but for now this works. Hope this is some good insight for you guys. Cheers :cheers:

Even before I got into Infosec I did computer/networking consulting and $100/hr was easy to get (at the time).

That said the stress with Infosec is through the roof...

For me it's a matter of balance.... and like the Karate Kid (the original) I am looking for balance in my life...

If you can make that kind of money as a consultant than even considering a change to detailing would be absolutely silly... that is unless you absolutely hate being a consultant I guess.

Top tier detailers (not following the hyper pricing model of Miracle Detail) are going to max out in the $55-$75 range... so even at the high end the best you could hope to do is take home 1/4 of what you can make as a consultant.

That'd be like quitting your job as a neurosurgeon to flip burgers at McDonalds. :lolsmack:

All depends on how good of a consultant one is. I mean You might make more money being a door greater at the local walmart if your not a good consultant. Things that make you go Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm :banana:

Top tier detailers (not following the hyper pricing model of Miracle Detail) are going to max out in the $55-$75 range...

Still thinking I need to do a few of those hyper-model miracle detail-type of details. Two or three of them and I can pay rent on a new shop for a year. :2thumbs:

If you can make that kind of money as a consultant than even considering a change to detailing would be absolutely silly... that is unless you absolutely hate being a consultant I guess.

Top tier detailers (not following the hyper pricing model of Miracle Detail) are going to max out in the $55-$75 range... so even at the high end the best you could hope to do is take home 1/4 of what you can make as a consultant.

That'd be like quitting your job as a neurosurgeon to flip burgers at McDonalds. :lolsmack:

:iagree:

Once you have enough of the consulting and want to retire and do something you love and keep you busy and out of trouble, then this might fit the bill! :lolsmack:

The difficult thing for me to do this professionally is what I can make as a consultant... which starts at ~$250-300/hr.

The difficult thing for me to do this professionally is what I can make as a consultant... which starts at ~$250-300/hr..... I just don't see being able to charge that much for a detail unless I go the Paul Dalton route.... after that would be what I can make as either a photographer.... which would be a close second....

Thank y'all for not beating me up about reviving a slightly old thread. Thanks for the added input too. Good stuff.

I'm figuring to go with flat rates for the more regular services (wash, wax, interior, engine bay, headlight restore.). For actual paint correction, I'm now considering an hourly rate.

I'm really starting to love the Adam's forums.

DX on too many different ROMs to keep updating my signature - via Tapatalk

Take weight of each product before detailing, take weight of bottle after, calculate approximate loss of weight, use that as a figure to determine how many uses out of each bottle. Divide that by the cost of product.

Dylan, there you go using logic and math again. You make it very difficult to agrue with you. Grrrrr.

I attempted to figure out every last drop to come up with pricing. But in the end it is darn near impossible. I use varying amounts of each product depending on the size, color, and condition of the vehicle, and no two are the same. So I just figure a flat rate for standard tasks. Certain jobs you make more money depending on you product usage. If the job requires more than just a 'typical' detailing than an hourly rate applies. That rate depends on how much you want to make and must cover your product use, plus extra for other consumables like pads, and a little extra for things like new tools. If you have overhead you have to figure that out too. Some people can make $15 and be ok, others charge upwards of $50/hour.

BTW the most expensive thing I have ever done is drop an entire clay bar.

I don't think many people base their rate off of the amount of product used, primarily because use of product can vary wildly across different vehicles/details.

Bingo! But if anyone really wanted to do this and figure out what THEIR particular usage was then it would be relatively simple.

Take weight of each product before detailing, take weight of bottle after, calculate approximate loss of weight, use that as a figure to determine how many uses out of each bottle. Divide that by the cost of product.

Counting out every drop of your chemical isn't a realistic way to figure your cost of doing business, but if you absolutely have to know that would be the way to do it.

I don't think many people base their rate off of the amount of product used, primarily because use of product can vary wildly across different vehicles/details.

The two most popular schools of thought, at least from everyone here, are charging hourly regardless of what a customer wants done or to charge a flat rate for different services performed, i.e. wash only, interior, wash and wax, wash, wax & polish, or a full detail job.

I tend to do a combination of both because I've done enough vehicles now that I have a pretty good idea of how long everything takes. I have flat rates for everything, with the understanding of needing/working on anything out of the ordinary will be charged on an hourly basis, such as extra paint correction or a really nasty interior (which I absolutely despise.)

I know, I know...new guy bringing old threads back to life.

I'd really like to get done more input on this topic from you more seasoned pros on here. Heck, even the newer folks with input are of value to me as well.

One more question too, how many vehicles do you all perfect each month?

Thanks in advance.

DX on too many different ROMs to keep updating my signature - via Tapatalk

half a bottle? i use a full bottle of DS when i clay, plus another half is you combine using it as a drying agent, and as a final wipedown after buffing off your final coat of wax.

i would figure:

2 bottles of DS and a 1/4 of a bottle everything else you use.

but most people charge on an hourly basis. a full detail can be anywhere from 2 to 24 hours of work depending on the size and condition of the vehicle. if you figure $15 per hour you should make a pretty decent profit if you just like to detail for your friends/family.

Overkill.

I clayed my 2011 Tahoe the minute I drove it home from the dealership - very thoroughly with plenty of lube [DS] - and was right at one-half a bottle when done.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I'm getting paid $350 for a full detail in/out/engine/wheels, I'm counting on $40 min. product costs and that doesn't include wear/tear on pads/towels, insurance/licensing, back pain medication -

I burned up about a 32oz bottle of DS on a full detail on my Ram Quad Cab - ruined 3/4 bar of clay (150g of the 200g bar), 1/3 bottle of SSHR, 1/4 bottle FMP, 1/5 bottle MSW, 1/5 bottle BG and 50 cents worth of Americana. I don't dilute. Too lazy.

Figured that's about $50 worth, but most of the cars I do aren't as big as the RAM. The main decider in product usage is the size of the vehicle and the amount of damage. If I wouldn't have had to make 4-5 passes on my truck - I'd have used at least half of the SSHR.

This question has been itching me for quite some time, nobody seems to know the dollar amount of product used. That being said - when my kit arrives and I detail my old PT Cruiser, I'm going to mark off how much of each bottle is gone and come up with an exact dollar amount (for that car - granted cars are different sizes - but a PT I would put in the mid-size range)

Yes, these were just as an example or starting point of getting more into the thinking of "your cost breakdown" as I've never seen it asked or mentioned before.

Both replies thus far have ggod points, hope it helps those looking to get into this further say there own cars.

But you also have to account for your time as well. And I've found that I have been able to use less and less DS after knowing my own personal vhecile more. If you don't know what you are working on you will want to use a little more product. Also, if you are in the business you need to charge slightly more thatn what the product actually costs because you also need to figure in shipping costs as well.

Archived