Customer Service 866.965.0400

white paint correction

Fit08

Question

While doing my White Honda Fit paint correction I found a few things I would like to share and discuss.

1) lighting. I thought forsure I would have a huge issue with not being able to see the swirls. I bought a two light 500 watt each stand and found it to be no problem once the poper angle was found.

2) Flasing. Now this was an issue, especially with the FMP and next to impossible as Bill has said in another post. Going to have to work on this somehow, maybe yellow tined glasses (which I've seen posted as well?)

3) Even with the paint being clean (so you think) after applying SH remover, I noticed a difference in where I stopped and where I polished almost like the paint was dirty (which I guess in reallity it is).

4) On the hood even after complete correction it appears to have small "fish eyes" for lack of better term. The correction did cause this but most likely cleared all gunk away so you now can see it. It does not appear to be a paint flaw in opion, but rather a foreign substance. My windshield has a film on it as well which to this day I can't get off. I wonder what they spray the cars with while they are being transported acroos the seas from Japan?

8 answers to this question

4) My windshield has a film on it as well which to this day I can't get off. I wonder what they spray the cars with while they are being transported acroos the seas from Japan?

Have you tried polishing the glass? The polishes will not remove defects from the glass, but can help remove water spots and other substances from the surface.

Lighting is a MAJOR key in doing white, I have learned by trial and error on mine.

My yellow tinted shooting glasses are my friend for detailing my white vehicle.

As for the flash, doing it indoors is your best option. Use the reflections as your guide. Take note of it before you start, then as you FMP is will haze up.. as the haze goes away the reflection comes back you know your at or nearing your flash point.

As for the fisheye like issue. Do a test spot wipe down with 50/50 IPA & H20. That should tell you if its something like product build up or paint flaws.

This is all stuff that I have either been shown, or just figured out.. Im sure others will have ideas.. Like GTOChris will suggest trading it in for Black.. lol

Have you tried polishing the glass? The polishes will not remove defects from the glass, but can help remove water spots and other substances from the surface.

Not with pc yet although by hand using SHR, Revie. I may put on the focus pads and giver a try. Thanks.

Lighting is a MAJOR key in doing white, I have learned by trial and error on mine.

As for the flash, doing it indoors is your best option. Use the reflections as your guide. Take note of it before you start, then as you FMP is will haze up.. as the haze goes away the reflection comes back you know your at or nearing your flash point.

As for the fisheye like issue. Do a test spot wipe down with 50/50 IPA & H20. That should tell you if its something like product build up or paint flaws.

This is all stuff that I have either been shown, or just figured out.. Im sure others will have ideas.. Like GTOChris will suggest trading it in for Black.. lol

I like the flash suggestion good idea, thanks.

I did the IPA wipe as part of my wax strip before I started. When I get the car out in day light I take a good look again. I can't get a photo to pick up on it to show you folks. How ever you do notice that the paint is not smooth "looking" it is smooth just looks "rough".

Good answer!:thumbsup:

thats how i polished my truck! my neighbors gave me funny looks when i was doing that! :pc:

While doing my White Honda Fit paint correction I found a few things I would like to share and discuss.

1) lighting. I thought forsure I would have a huge issue with not being able to see the swirls. I bought a two light 500 watt each stand and found it to be no problem once the poper angle was found.

2) Flasing. Now this was an issue, especially with the FMP and next to impossible as Bill has said in another post. Going to have to work on this somehow, maybe yellow tined glasses (which I've seen posted as well?)

3) Even with the paint being clean (so you think) after applying SH remover, I noticed a difference in where I stopped and where I polished almost like the paint was dirty (which I guess in reallity it is).

4) On the hood even after complete correction it appears to have small "fish eyes" for lack of better term. The correction did cause this but most likely cleared all gunk away so you now can see it. It does not appear to be a paint flaw in opion, but rather a foreign substance. My windshield has a film on it as well which to this day I can't get off. I wonder what they spray the cars with while they are being transported acroos the seas from Japan?

Lighting was a huge problem for me as I only had a small, albeit powerful, flashlight, and could not afford anything else. The flashing was also impossibly hard, I ended up in some places polishing until the polish either dried up or wore out, as in I could drag my finger across a surface after just polishing it, and it would feel smooth (even though I did not wipe the polish off). I too noticed a slight difference in the haze of the paint. It seemed significantly clearer after polishing, but this is normal. I don't know about the fish eye thing, maybe post a picture?

Lighting was a huge problem for me as I only had a small, albeit powerful, flashlight, and could not afford anything else. The flashing was also impossibly hard, I ended up in some places polishing until the polish either dried up or wore out, as in I could drag my finger across a surface after just polishing it, and it would feel smooth (even though I did not wipe the polish off). I too noticed a slight difference in the haze of the paint. It seemed significantly clearer after polishing, but this is normal. I don't know about the fish eye thing, maybe post a picture?

Camera will not let you see this "fish eye". I'm stiil pondering it. It seems to be only the hood so maybe it is a defect. I'm not losing sleep over it, but rather curiuos to see if my adams routine can eradicate it. By the time I do my next full correction next spring I will then use the green pad and SSH to see what gives.

As for flashing, this I do have to get down otherwise I'm wasting time and may cause uneeded paint work. I'm going to take a good look at the reflection idea an see if this is good.

Archived