Customer Service 866.965.0400

A problem with my business

LowNslo

Question

So about 8 years ago, I had a mobile detailing service (Robinson Mobile Detailing). I Paid my way through college and worked a second job as well for some spending money! After graduation, I got a "real" job from 8-5. Since then (approx 5 years) I have still offered the service of detailing (mostly washing) my friends and relatives cars for some pocket change.

I started polishing/buffing/correcting about 2 years ago, but only on my personal vehicles and close friends who's vehicles needed so much help that I couldn't do anything but help them, even if I messed up!!! I found Adams products and their line of professional/DIY polish systems and decided I would give it a go. So this brings me to my current point.......

I have been so impressed with the quality of service, and the craftsmanship that goes into the products I use, I decided to pass that same relationship on to my customers. I try to be most accommodating and treat each vehicle like it is my own! Now before you say "well some people are just butt holes or you got a rude one in every bunch", let me say, I know this......

I do my detailing at my house in my spare time! Most of the vehicles I currently do for customers are their weekend toys or they have a second backup car so they can leave me theirs! I treat my appointments as just that, it is after all a business to me. But the problem I am seeing is, customers want to take advantage of you..... I try to offer the customer service that I would expect and do receive from Adams, and my customers seem to take that as " he is striving for business, he will do anything to get me, why don't I ask him to give me a ride back to my house". Just simple things like this make me wonder how to approach the consumer with respect but at the same time not have to be rude and say "hell no get your own ride home"?

So my question geared towards the business owner. How can you competitively price your details, and offer the customer service that keeps the customer satisfied, without being a push over? If I was making a ton of money on a detail, then yes I would drive them where they need to go, but I waste precious time that is eating up what little profit I have!

I guess this is a rant but any advice would be awesome!

13 answers to this question

Yep, state on the phone to them, that they'll need a ride home, or you can drive them home in your car for X dollars. You could also offer a pickup charge as well, but make sure you have insurance to cover you driving their vehicles.

Chris

Chris,

Excellent topic and trust me, it's not just a detailing business that this applies to! As the owner of two businesses and also being self employed 20 or so years ago for another extended period, I can certainly tell you that this is one of the hardest things to figure out. You end up giving stuff away, losing money, losing time just because "the customer is always right". Well, I like to say..."the customer is always right...except when they're flat out wrong". A long time friend, business colleague, and customer used to say "sometimes we need to fire a customer" and she is right. I've fired a half dozen or so customers who I will not do business with, period. You can always tell people NO.

My solution has been to try and put as much stuff in writing as possible. It's horribly time consuming and forces you to raise prices in order to compensate you for the time investment. Not a whole lot you can do except to grin and bear it. If a customer is going to get angry, they're going to get angry anyway despite what you do.

Here's my rant to contribute to the thread:

I recently had a customer complain about a system that was installed in his home roughly a year ago. There was a defect with his equipment about 6 weeks in which we returned to the manufacturer and is was repaired free of charge while under warranty. We did not charge to pick it up, ship it back, deliver it, or reconnect it. Now, almost a full year later, he complains that there's something else wrong and nothing we've ever done worked right from the beginning and we never respond when they call. I checked my paperwork and the info in his file...staff techs had been to his home 6 times to make minor additions and adjustments over the course of about a 4 month period all free of charge and he nor his wife have contacted our office via phone or e-mail for the last 6 months. I originally offered his money back to which he declined, then I offered to purchase a new amp and new BluRay player (current models mind you, not last year's model) and replace the units. That was fine, but then he went on vacation just as we were to receive the new items. Upon his return, he complained that the swap wasn't done yet and he has been unable to use his system for the last three weeks. (I thought he was on vacation?) Now he's changed his mind and wants his money back including ALL of the original labor from the install of a year ago. I am sitting on a new amp and new BluRay player, which I can resell obviously, but I'm still out the cash, and will refund the equipment price only, no labor, which means I'm out even more cash.

Moral of the story.....yup, HE'S FIRED!

Sorry for being long winded....good luck!

- Darryl

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><o:p><P><SPAN style=Chris,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>I too run a detailing business, but unlike you I have a shop that is open 7 days a week. I say this because our mentality may differ slightly when it comes to the customer service end of the business. As I understand your concern and time restrictions on giving a customer a ride home, one important thing to remember is the impact that you will have on the customer by doing so. Now it may seem as though you are losing time and money by giving them a ride home in the short term, but in the long term you will be guaranteed to see a return on that money by the reoccurring business from that customer. Not only will you see the reoccurring business, you will also see a slight raise in business as well. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

As with all small businesses, word of mouth is the best instrument in gaining more customers. I say this because if you go the extra mile by giving your customers a ride home, the impact of doing so, along with the impact of the quality of the detail you provide will be engrained in the customers mind… Making them more inclined to tell their friends and family of the great customer service and quality of business they had received from you.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Therefore, if you are serious about detailing as a part time job… I would highly recommend doing whatever it is necessary to make the customer ultimately happy. I hope this recommendation helps you and your business… and I wish you the best of luck!:thumbsup:</o:p>

thanks for all the replies! Yes as of right now, I feel like my entire service is based on customer satisfaction. I told Dylan the other day, I get paid to just vac the carpet but I see a spot on the seat, well I go the extra mile to get that spot off the seat and let the customer know "hey, I took care of that for you". Not that I expect anything or any extra compensation, but like you said.... recurring business is the kind that keeps the doors open so-to-speak. I ask myself, IF I were the customer what would I appreciate the most when i get my car back? I haven't had one single complaint or comeback since I have started!!!!! I am very particular though.

So that being said, I have been transporting my regular customers when they can't find a ride, and some appreciate it and some see it as "well you should, im paying you to do my car". And that's where it gets tricky, some people are cheap! They don't care how great your work is or how good of a job you do, its all about cheap and at their convenience!

So I guess my best bet is to initially mention that in the quote on the vehicle. I go over every customers car before I start...... esp new customers, I tell them what I do and how I expect the results to look. I am honest with them and will even offer alternatives if I can't correct it. I guess the hardest part for me would be that my profit margin is not high, so when I go over and beyond I actually lose money before I even start, and then I give the customer more than they paid for! Hard to compete or explain to a customer that I don't do the same thing the mobile car wash guys do! Which is why I appreciate the higher end vehicles who know what it takes and are willing to pay appropriately for the job vs. those who don't understand why it cost so much to wash, clay, polish, wax, and deliver it to them.

Chris,

I too have found that some customers do not understand “what it takes” to get their vehicles to that ultimate shine or brand new look. The best suggestion that I can make for you… is to educate them. When I get a customer in my shop like this, I simply teach them the correct process and show them why I am different from the guys across the way.

For instance, I will bring out a plastic bag and let them feel their vehicles paint… I then explain to them why the paint feels the way it does, and then I demonstrate to them how you correct the problem... I also allow them to repeat the process themselves so they better understand what goes into the detail that they are about purchase. By doing this, you educate the customer and enlighten them in the process you use… this way they better understand what it is they are paying for.

So in regards to customers who just simply do not understand, I always take the approach to educate them. This has always worked for me, and I hope this suggestion helps you!

The only thing I can possible add here is, if your gonna drive them somewhere use your own car!!! That way your covered and you don't have anything to worry about with their car. You and I both know if something is going to happen its gonna be when your driving there car not yours!!!

I can add one thing as a non-business owner. When I take a vehicle somewhere and it needs to be dropped off, I will or try my hardest to have someone follow me. That way I'm guaranteed a ride home. I really don't expect the owner of a small business to have the time/capabilities to cart me home or to work and then come get me to pick up my vehicle.

I think if someone is coming to you to detail something and expects it to be done cheaply and very well... I'd tell them to goto the car wash down the street where they'll scratch your paint to hell. I'm sure you can point out to a reasonably minded person what get's done to your paint at those places if you have their car as a specimen and your vehicle to compare. If they don't care about that then obviously your services aren't very desirable and you have the wrong type of customer anyway.

Doing your best to educate the customer is the first step I have to imagine. Hell I didn't know jack about washing a car before finding this place. I sure thought I knew all the ins and outs though. Boy was I wrong :x

Archived