Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove Sealant?

fstclyz

Question

I just spent 20 hrs polishing my truck with Menzerna's polish, then one coat of Adam's glaze and one coat of machine sealant. The light wasn't great and I noticed some scratches and panels which need more work.

How do I remove whatever is one there to get to those scratches, swirls etc? Clay bar, alcohol/water?

I'm assuming I'll just reapply the polish, glaze, sealant in those areas.

Thanks,

CD

17 answers to this question

I went 50/50 with alcohol and water. Since it's already 30% water I guess there is no need for me to dilute it any more than it is?

Thanks.

Either way is fine! I did as you did the first time as well. :)

Yeah, the forums acronym program went belly up with the new server. I believe they're working on it.

IPA= Isopropyl Alcohol. Most store bought (walgreens and such) is 70% alcohol and 30% water. Put that in a spray bottle and have at it!

Chris

I went 50/50 with alcohol and water. Since it's already 30% water I guess there is no need for me to dilute it any more than it is?

Thanks.

Hey, if the flex is your only machine i suggest you apply sealant on a speed of 2 and stay on each section area longer, move slower dont go so fast so it will have a change to apply evenly. A speed of 2 will not harm your clear coat. But getting a pc is a good investment. You can apply sealant, glaze, and revive polish with it on the grey hex pad. You can also use focus pads on it.

Tip, hex pads are for the pc, and the flat face pads are for the flex, the hex pads your using now are aggressive on the flex and will pull and bite more.

Hope this helps.

UNLESS.... You have the GenII pads for the PC which are flat as well. Gen 2.5 went to the cut ones for better bite. I have all three types. Flex and the other two.

Chris

Ok. thanks for the info. Mario over at the warehouse set me up with some product and I thought he said to use the glaze before the sealant.

Btw- I used my Flex with Adams gray waffle pad to apply the sealant. Mario said that wasn't the best way but the only way I could since I don't have a PC. I do have a Craftsman orbital polisher. I didn't notice too many high/low spot but I am somewhat new to using the Flex and these products. Any recommendations?

This truck is a DD (in the winter too) which is why I wanted to use the sealant vs a wax.

Thanks

Hey, if the flex is your only machine i suggest you apply sealant on a speed of 2 and stay on each section area longer, move slower dont go so fast so it will have a change to apply evenly. A speed of 2 will not harm your clear coat. But getting a pc is a good investment. You can apply sealant, glaze, and revive polish with it on the grey hex pad. You can also use focus pads on it.

Tip, hex pads are for the pc, and the flat face pads are for the flex, the hex pads your using now are aggressive on the flex and will pull and bite more.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, the forums acronym program went belly up with the new server. I believe they're working on it.

IPA= Isopropyl Alcohol. Most store bought (walgreens and such) is 70% alcohol and 30% water. Put that in a spray bottle and have at it!

Chris

An IPA wipe down will get the job done just fine, especially since you're only working in a few areas.

I'd also advise you to reverse your application order with the BG and MSS... the sealant should go down first, followed by the BG. By putting glaze down first you're not going to get the longevity out of MSS that you should.

Ok im feeling dumb today, what is IPA again? im sure I already know its just a slowwww day for me haha:lolsmack:, ill just stay in my corner over here :hi: hah

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking for a local detail store/shop for years and who knew Adam was in my back yard. I really love the products (glass cleaner and glass towel blew me away) and this is a great forum.

So, I'll wait till this coat of sealant wears off and I'll try either the Americana or the spray on sealant.

Chris, I saw your SS out front yesterday. Looks great. Nice job on the mods, very clean. I'll bring my truck by sometime.

Ok. thanks for the info. Mario over at the warehouse set me up with some product and I thought he said to use the glaze before the sealant.

Btw- I used my Flex with Adams gray waffle pad to apply the sealant. Mario said that wasn't the best way but the only way I could since I don't have a PC. I do have a Craftsman orbital polisher. I didn't notice too many high/low spot but I am somewhat new to using the Flex and these products. Any recommendations?

This truck is a DD (in the winter too) which is why I wanted to use the sealant vs a wax.

Thanks

Living here and seeing this stuff in action....

You can get away with two thin coats of Americana in this kind of winter. If you had the PC with MSS, obviously that's gonna be the best method.

Mook

the flex doesn't apply the MSS/MSW evenly and will cause the product to tiger stripe almost. Then the built up areas are harder to get off! I agree with dylan about the sealant then glaze and use Detail spray to remove the excess residue. You might be better off trying a hand wax like Americana rather than the machine sealants, so you can get even coverage and full protection!

Thanks

An IPA wipe down will get the job done just fine, especially since you're only working in a few areas.

I'd also advise you to reverse your application order with the BG and MSS... the sealant should go down first, followed by the BG. By putting glaze down first you're not going to get the longevity out of MSS that you should.

Archived