Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cold weather

airhog

Question

How does everyone wash their vehicles in the winter? I can't wash my vehicle outside because it is -30 degrees celsius. I can't wash inside the garage because it is not heated. Any suggestions on how to prevent doors from freezing? Any ideas on where to go to wash and dry that is indoors and heated?

Edited by airhog

I've just been using Detail Spray on my wifes car. Just to keep up with the road spray. No mud or real dirt involved.

My trucks a different story. I swing by the local car wash and use the high power spray (thingy) to get the mud, grass and stuff off. I just don't hit the door jams.

Then use the Detail Spray at home as a waterless wash.

Mine doesn't usually get washed except on those few days when it gets into the 40's. But then again, if the roads are bad, I don't drive. So it doesn't get as dirty as it used to when I worked.

How does everyone wash their vehicles in the winter? I can't wash my vehicle outside because it is -30 degrees celsius. I can't wash inside the garage because it is not heated. Any suggestions on how to prevent doors from freezing? Any ideas on where to go to wash and dry that is indoors and heated?

I haven't honestly had to work through that yet! Just looked online, and didn't find much either.

There are the washes that use only high-pressure water, sometimes at gas stations. You drive in, and the doors close in front, and behind you while the apparatus moves about your vehicle with a series of high pressure blasters.

When the wash is complete, a super-high powered blower goes over the vehicle, literally drying the vehicle.

I would imagine that would eliminate the problem of doors freezing, as the needed water to freeze in the door jambs would be missing.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Our Vettes stay parked in the garage all winter until spring.

The daily drivers normally go thru the car wash and I make sure I dry every nook and cranny.

Remote start helps when your doors are frozen...just start it up and let it thaw out. Just make sure your blower is in the On position. :banana:

:iagree:

Good call Teresa, drying out the door jambs is a great way to keep the doors from freezing closed. I'd take a blower, either a shop-vac exhaust, air compressor, or leaf blower to dry out the door locks.

This winter, I'll do some learning, as we moved to the mountains and zero degrees is going to be part of our reality.

Living on a dirt road, I wash weekly!

If you have a garage, nothing gets you naked in 5 minutes like the "heat-o-monster". These thing are not expensive at all and man, do they ever put out some heat. The cool thing is, you can use them outside too!

heater.jpg

Tell the truth AJ, you use that to grill meat when it's cold outside! :lol:

I have a heater like that but the only difference is it is not on wheels. Last time I washed the van I went to the wand wash and washed it. While I was in there I dryed off the majority of the water with the time that they allowed me to dry. Before I left the house I turned the heater on and when I got home it was really warm inside. After I got in I let the ice melt off and dryed it properly. The only problem when doing this is that you have to drive from the carwash to my garage and in that time it will freeze. I want a way that I don't have to go outside in the cold to prevent my chaces of freeze ups.

Tell the truth AJ, you use that to grill meat when it's cold outside! :lol:

My neighbors think that I'm crazy for standing outside in the snow with my parka on and the grill going. No weather phenom is going to keep me from getting my grub on! :2thumbs:

I have a heater like that but the only difference is it is not on wheels. Last time I washed the van I went to the wand wash and washed it. While I was in there I dryed off the majority of the water with the time that they allowed me to dry. Before I left the house I turned the heater on and when I got home it was really warm inside. After I got in I let the ice melt off and dryed it properly. The only problem when doing this is that you have to drive from the carwash to my garage and in that time it will freeze. I want a way that I don't have to go outside in the cold to prevent my chaces of freeze ups.

Ahhhh..., you don't have a drain inside your garage? I can wash mine inside where it is nice and toasty. :cool:

pcfusion.jpg

Those heaters are a great idea, do they run on 110 volt or 220 volt?

120V.

I've got 2 of those heaters. It only takes 1 to heat up my 3 car garage though.

I have hot and cold water faucets in the garage, so I can wash in there. I don't have a drain, but I just squeegy the water out into the driveway.

My neighbors think that I'm crazy for standing outside in the snow with my parka on and the grill going. No weather phenom is going to keep me from getting my grub on! :2thumbs:

You are a man after my own heart... I have been doing that for years.

You are not alone my friends, I was out washing in 40 degree temps, just making sure the rig is clean for the snow that's coming tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday!:loser:

Needless to say, I was the only one at the self wash today!:D

You are not alone my friends, I was out washing in 40 degree temps, just making sure the rig is clean for the snow that's coming tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday!:loser:

Needless to say, I was the only one at the self wash today!:D

I thought you lived in the devil's backyard? I think they call it Arizona or some place hot and close to the desert! You mean it gets cold where you are?

If you have a garage, nothing gets you naked in 5 minutes like the "heat-o-monster". These thing are not expensive at all and man, do they ever put out some heat. The cool thing is, you can use them outside too!

heater.jpg

The Army tried these too..... ONE will heat up a 16X32 GP Medium tent in about 2 minutes, but they are L O U D

Those heaters are a great idea, do they run on 110 volt or 220 volt?

You can get them in both... most are 110v. The ones we used in Germany were 220v. I guess it's whatever you have locally.