Customer Service 866.965.0400

Merino wool pad

Chobbs

Question

Are there any special considerations I need to adhere to when cleaning this wash pad? Has any one had one long enough to go through several washes? How does your wool pad look? Can/should it be brushed out?? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 answers to this question

Thanks Dylan! That make me feel much better! I will from now on use the 4" focus pads on a speed of 4. 4"=4 speed. Amazingly simple. I was worried because I somehow forgot that ratio and did the entire pc correction (including focus pad part) on a setting of 5.

No problem.

When in doubt, the videos are your friend:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cdPKQ_BjJkw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Dylan! That make me feel much better! I will from now on use the 4" focus pads on a speed of 4. 4"=4 speed. Amazingly simple. I was worried because I somehow forgot that ratio and did the entire pc correction (including focus pad part) on a setting of 5.

We specifically do not condone the use of the focus pads at anything above speed 4.

Its unnecessarily tough on the pads, backing plate, and machine... stick to speed 4 when using the smaller pads on the PC.

As far as strike thru with the PC.... it would take a ton (hundreds of passes) and/or a very thin paint job to have that concern. The PC simply doesn't remove enough material with a pass to have that concern.

Thanks. I had already read that thread. And there is some talk of the PC, but He was using the focus pads with a drill essentially creating a rotary polisher. My question is specifically about using the focus pads with the PC, non forced rotation, at a setting of 5

Thanks for all the replies! I just finished a twelve hour detail last weekend and plan on washing and putting a second coat of Americana on this weekend. I've used the wool mitt once washed by hand and let dry(loved how the mitt felt when wet). I am hoping this new mitt is going to help me prevent as many micro scratches as possible.

On another note. (not sure if this should be in a new thread)...is it possible to strike through the clearcoat using the 4" focus pads on the PC with a setting of 5? I don't have any issues but worry if I go over the same spot next time with the focus pads that I'll be making the clearcoat too thin. This camaro has a few areas that I prefer to use the focus pads because of all the curves. Should I be worried that I used the setting of 5 instead of 4 on the PC?

Since the wool comes from a natural source (sheep) the consistency of the oil in the wool will vary a great deal. Some would benefit from a soaking in APC right away, others it won't matter.

If you notice yours not sudsing very much after the first use, a soaking in a bucket with APC and rinsing will help remove those oils and help the mit perform as designed.

around the 4th time using it, it suds up like a wash pad.

...Fourth wash really really made me smile.

Its not mandatory to de oil it or even suggested. But its something I was informed of and am just sharing knowledge. :)

:thumbsup:

I love the wash pads too.

I found out about de oiling it too late. I had higher expectations than most with this...as I LOVE OUR CURRENT WASH PADS....but yeah I noticed mine had a decent amount of oils...Fourth wash really really made me smile.

Its not mandatory to de oil it or even suggested. But its something I was informed of and am just sharing knowledge. :)

I found out about de oiling it too late. I had higher expectations than most with this...as I LOVE OUR CURRENT WASH PADS....but yeah I noticed mine had a decent amount of oils...Fourth wash really really made me smile.

I will say you need to soak it in All Purpose Cleaner and water for a little bit to help extract the oils from the natural animal hair. I didn't before I started using mine, and until they wore out or washed out, I thought I had a broken, dead sheep.

so you're saying to do this before the first wash?

I will say you need to soak it in APC and water for a little bit to help extract the oils from the natural animal hair. I didn't before I started using mine, and until they wore out or washed out, I thought I had a broken, dead sheep.

B-aa-aaa-aa-aaa-ad.

is that right?

i started using mine straight out the box and did not like it (at first), it didn't sud up as much as the wash pads. but i kept using it, gave it another chance and now around the 4th time using it, it suds up like a wash pad.

I haven't brushed mine out. I am about 13-14 washes in now on mine. Still working good, hairfibers still in tact, no dreadlocking.

I clean mine just like I clean the other pads...on top of the bucket over the Grit Guard...just like Dylan shows.

Mook

I will say you need to soak it in APC and water for a little bit to help extract the oils from the natural animal hair. I didn't before I started using mine, and until they wore out or washed out, I thought I had a broken, dead sheep.

B-aa-aaa-aa-aaa-ad.

Archived