Customer Service 866.965.0400

What about the "tight spots"?

DerekT

Question

Hi folks. Brand new to all this - I've been looking around the forums and there's a LOT of information here.... Can make it a little hard to find what you're looking for.

Anyways, what I'd like to know is how to detail all those crevices and crannies that you can't reach with a PC or Flex? Like around badges, under rocker panels, inside door handles, painted edges outside the wheel wells, around trim (even if you tape the trim off, the PC won't go up "tight") and so on. You know, "tight spots". So do you just not detail those places? See, total n00b...!:loser:

Oh, one other thing - I have this stupid Xzilon dealer sealant on my car. Does that change how I should perform a detail? I tried to remove some of it with Dawn followed by 70/30 IPA but it doesn't look like it did anything. Decided removing it wasn't work the work, so now I'm not sure exactly how to detail.

BTW, I've been out two days in a row now trying to detail my car. DAMN, that takes a long time (granted, I didn't start until early afternoon). How long is it supposed to take?? The most I could get done yesterday was a claying. Ran out of daylight so I just wiped the drying detail spray off. Even that left her really nice looking - Adam must slip a little wax into the detail spray, ya think?

6 answers to this question

Hi folks. Brand new to all this - I've been looking around the forums and there's a LOT of information here.... Can make it a little hard to find what you're looking for.

Welcome to the board Derek... it can be a bit overwhelming at first if you've never been into detailing before. Don't sweat it, most everyone here was where you are at some point, but you'll find that everyone here is willing to help you find your way and soon you'll be helping n00b's find their way :D

Anyways, what I'd like to know is how to detail all those crevices and crannies that you can't reach with a PC or Flex? Like around badges, under rocker panels, inside door handles, painted edges outside the wheel wells, around trim (even if you tape the trim off, the PC won't go up "tight") and so on. You know, "tight spots". So do you just not detail those places? See, total n00b...!:loser:

Theres always going to be some areas you can't machine polish... cars just have all kinds of tight areas. Some of this can be addressed with the 4" pads on the PC, but even then you're not gonna get everywhere so be prepared to do some work by hand in the tight spots.

Oh, one other thing - I have this stupid Xzilon dealer sealant on my car. Does that change how I should perform a detail? I tried to remove some of it with Dawn followed by 70/30 IPA but it doesn't look like it did anything. Decided removing it wasn't work the work, so now I'm not sure exactly how to detail.

Its basically a sealant... it should strip like any other sealant. Moving on to clay and then polishing should handle anything that wasn't removed with the dawn wash and IPA wipe down.

BTW, I've been out two days in a row now trying to detail my car. DAMN, that takes a long time (granted, I didn't start until early afternoon). How long is it supposed to take?? The most I could get done yesterday was a claying. Ran out of daylight so I just wiped the drying detail spray off. Even that left her really nice looking - Adam must slip a little wax into the detail spray, ya think?

It takes as long as it takes and thats about all you can really say. Depending on how quickly you work, what shape the car is in, and what level of detail you're going into it can vary.

I've detailed cars in as little as 6 hours and others have gone weeks... it all depends. Key is finding that balance between getting results and investing time you're willing to sacrifice. You can chase perfect forever, but at some point you should go out and enjoy the car so find that balance.

First off Welcome Derek! :welcomebanner:

As Dylan said, the tight spots may have to worked by hand. The Adam's Flip Pad 2-Sided Hand Polish Applicator or the Adam's Hex-Grip Hand Polish & Car Wax Applicator Trio are great for those areas.

Most of the Sections have stickies in them that have great information. If you don't find what you are looking for just ask! There are lots of friendly, helpful folks on here that love to share their Adam's knowledge.

Welcome Derek! When I first started detailing the videos helped me with alot that I needed to get started. Adam, Dylan, and Ashley explain everything perfectly in them. What kind of car do you drive? Would like to see some pics :)

Hi guys - thanks for the kind welcome! And hi again Dylan, good to hear from you again.

'K, so I just ordered some hand-polishing gear. Dylan, can you send me Adam's bank account number so I can just funnel in my pay checks directly...?:D

Great advice also.... One of my biggest problems is that I don't have an indoor garage. Before you polish, you clay. Before you clay, you wash. Basically, I have to restart the procedure every time. Guess I'll just have to start earlier.

Oh, and Frid, since you asked...

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

...post-purchase, pre-polish!

Archived