Customer Service 866.965.0400

Technical question about Adam's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner

07 z-oh-6

Question

This question was brought up on another forum. It may be a completly different type of salt used in the C&U cleaner, but an interesting question, nonetheless...

"To me it seems strange that the carpet cleaner is salt based. Here in the mid- west we spend half of the winter months trying to keep salt stains out of carpet and floor mats and stop it from eating away or destroying mats. I guess some of you chemist can explain the thought behind a product like this. What am I missing here ? It would seem strange using a product of this type to remove winter salt stains. Anyone ? "

17 answers to this question

A salt is the result of mixing an acid (like Hydrocloric Acid )and a base (like sodium hydroxide).

You get a salt (KCl, NaCl (in the above example), etc) and water from the chemical reaction. These are all various salts.

Borax (sodium tetraborate) is a salt from Boric Acid. These salts have various properties and some are cleaners since they can be reactive like NaCl salt on metal causes rust.

very true

salts are ionic compounds that form when mixture is electronically neutral, cation and anions charge cancel, no net charge but you can have neutral, basic and acidic salts. the basic and acidity is based on what is formed when the salts are dissolved in water

A salt is the result of mixing an acid (like Hydrocloric Acid )and a base (like sodium hydroxide).

You get a salt (KCl, NaCl (in the above example), etc) and water from the chemical reaction. These are all various salts.

Borax (sodium tetraborate) is a salt from Boric Acid. These salts have various properties and some are cleaners since they can be reactive like NaCl salt on metal causes rust.

Sodium technically... not sodium chloride (salt) base... road salt, table salt, and what loosely qualifies as 'salt' in our formula are all very different things.

What exactly does this mean, Dylan?

Sodium, in its pure form, is a chemical element [Na].

I though salt, in it's pure form, was a byproduct of sodium.

In other words, I didn't think you could have one without the other.

No?

Mark, I think it may be a different type of salt than is used on the roads. I think road salt has way more impurities in it. The reason I say it is from some reading I did people have been using salt based product, or even pure salt, for years to remove heavy and well "set-in" stains like wine and grease from carpets, upholstery, and so forth. Check this....its not about Adam's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner but describes how effective salt can be in this type of use...

How to Clean Wine Carpet Stains With Salt | eHow.com

Thanks for the info, Chas.

I'm curious to see what Adam's has to say about this. :thumbsup:

Mark, I think it may be a different type of salt than is used on the roads. I think road salt has way more impurities in it. The reason I say it is from some reading I did people have been using salt based product, or even pure salt, for years to remove heavy and well "set-in" stains like wine and grease from carpets, upholstery, and so forth. Check this....its not about Adam's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner but describes how effective salt can be in this type of use...

How to Clean Wine Carpet Stains With Salt | eHow.com

Archived