Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lets talk about exhaust for my Denali Sierra

bjoeaull

I am looking for opinions on a new exhaust for my 6.2l truck. Main points are for looks and sound. I want a nice tasteful look probably dual out the rear or possibly out one side behind rear passenger tire.

Sound I want to accentuate the

'denali" sound. Not too loud but a touch meaner than stock, no drone on highway though.

I was thinking corsa duals but its a touch over a G. So if anyone has some thoughts on something cheaper, premade or custom chime in!

Well.....on our 6.2L Denali, I put a set of long tube Kooks headers with low-restriction cats...an X-pipe, 3" stainless pipe out the back through a MagnaFlow muffler.

Sounds like a monster, and my fabulous wife Melissa has burned through a set of 22" rubber in 9K miles!

Disclaimer: We had to have the truck tuned to get the check engine light to turn off........:burnout:

I can attest for said sound! It's mean and still has class!

I know what you mean on sound goals...I ended up doing a Flowmaster 40 Series and cut the resonatOr off the SS. Much more drone since the res is gone but it's a bit more thrOaty than stOck, and not too loud to where I worry about it being too loud.

if your not looking to spend $1000, look into Corsa's DB Series cat-backs. they're the same as the Touring and Sport systems except made from 409 stainless steel instead of 304. that is what i put on mine and i absolutely love it! great sound at all RPM ranges, can't even hear it on the highway, and the fit/finish is OE quality.

one thing i'd like to mention if you choose the DB series, pick up enough 3" stainless exhaust band clamps and exhaust cement/sealant. the DB series comes with c-clamps which deform the pipes making it a permanent install. i bought the band clamps and some exhaust cement, and now i can remove it if i want, and it has a 100% leak-free seal.

here's the part #'s you need for the DB Series:

dB Performance Exhaust - Search Products

for the single side exit you need 2 band clamps, and for the dual exhaust the install instructions appear to require 8, but i would call to make sure. for the single exhaust and 2 Accuseal Band clamps, it cost me under $550, and i installed it myself in under 2 hours.

if your not looking to spend $1000, look into Corsa's DB Series cat-backs. they're the same as the Touring and Sport systems except made from 409 stainless steel instead of 304. that is what i put on mine and i absolutely love it! great sound at all RPM ranges, can't even hear it on the highway, and the fit/finish is OE quality.

one thing i'd like to mention if you choose the DB series, pick up enough 3" stainless exhaust band clamps and exhaust cement/sealant. the DB series comes with c-clamps which deform the pipes making it a permanent install. i bought the band clamps and some exhaust cement, and now i can remove it if i want, and it has a 100% leak-free seal.

for the single side exit you need 2 band clamps, and for the dual exhaust the install instructions appear to require 8, but i would call to make sure. for the single exhaust and 2 Accuseal Band clamps, it cost me under $550, and i installed it myself in under 2 hours.

Great to know Ryan! I love this place.....:thumbsup:

Well.....on our 6.2L Denali, I put a set of long tube Kooks headers with low-restriction cats...an X-pipe, 3" stainless pipe out the back through a MagnaFlow muffler.

Sounds like a monster, and my fabulous wife Melissa has burned through a set of 22" rubber in 9K miles!

Disclaimer: We had to have the truck tuned to get the check engine light to turn off........:burnout:

Thanks Adam, might be a little more sound and modifying than I'm looking for, but I bet it sounds wicked!

I have seen the DB series, I was worried that it might be too loud, heard once that they were louder than the sport and touring line. But might not be true. I will look into that. Thanks everyone, and keep em coming!

I got a Flowmaster 50 series on my Avalanche and removed the resonator. Nice deep sound, not overwhelmingly loud, and no drone at highway cruise speeds. Was my cheap solution to the too-quiet stock sound.

If I had the money and could do it all over again, I'd go with a Corsa exhaust; I've heard only good things about them.

I stopped into our local exhaust place, not many in town. He carried most brands except corsa, said he tried but no luck. He thought I would like the magnaflow for what I wanted to get. He quoted me like $300 ish with tip for single outlet, or $500 ish with tips for duals. Not bad really, just hard to say what it will sound like I guess.

I think I like duals for looks, kinda balances out better I think. He seemed to think that the duals lose some pressure and don't sound as good as singles. Anyone know much about that?

COOL!!:burnout:

At the moment I really don't want to go the headers route, that may change in the future. I go back and forth with the exhaust, can't decide on a nice custom dual setup, or maybe the corsa side exit setup? Decisions, decisions....

After having several trucks, and putting exhaust on them... I'd go dumped... I like hidden exhaust on trucks, if you're not going to do that, do a tip(s) behind the rear tire out the side.

As far as sound, find an exhaust shop that has several different mufflers (single in, dual out), have them take your stock stuff off, and put on the muffler without welding/clamping it down... then go stand back 10-15 feet and have them start the truck.

You'll be able to see several different kinds.

Cherry bomb: basically no muffler (sounds like crap)

Magnaflow: classy throaty, the shorter the muffler the louder it is, I had headers back with a 22" muffler on my 5.3 and it was perfect for me.

Flowmaster: meh, not as crisp of a sound, just kind of dirty.

I wouldn't waste my money on an exhaust "system" like borla or corsa... you are paying for the name at that point.

Just my 2 cents!

If you have to have the tips, find some you like and get the muffler shop to do a nice install for you.

i like to be different and im not a huge fan of flowmaster. i do like magnaflow however, if i were you id check out gibson. they make good exhaust systems for trucks. if your just looking for a muffler take a look at dynomax or spintech

I wouldn't waste my money on an exhaust "system" like borla or corsa... you are paying for the name at that point.

So you're speaking from experience because you've owned one and/or both in the past and you've found them to be no different in ALL areas to your cookie-cutter Magnaflows and Flowmasters out there, correct?

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra with the 6.2. It's not a Denali, but I do get selectable 4wd :).

I like the options posed here. I'm somewhat interested in how Adam thinks the fitment/quality is on the Kooks headers. My plan at this point (always subject to change) is just to do LT headers and hook up to the stock catback. I don't need it to be obnoxiously loud, that's what the G8 is for. But, I do love the sound of V8 exhaust breathing through long tube headers.:burnout:

If I were to do a 6.2L again, it wouldn't get the long tube headers. While the Kooks are beautiful, and make 30hp, the low-restriction cats turn on the check engine light, and it won't turn off for more than 30 miles after being re-set.

I'd live with that, but the remote start doesn't work with the light on, so getting the car warmed up before putting the kids in can't happen. (My wife is spoiled rotten, but very appreciative!)

I would go with a set of 'shorty' headers, leave the factory cats, and then go with the muffler of choice. Delete the 2nd muffler...resignator I believe it's called.

The AWHP of the Denali is strong now, nearly 350 at the wheels, compared with 295 stock (403 is listed bhp at the motor, figure 100bhp lost by the time it gets to the wheels?)

The low restriction cats make the truck stink a bit more than bearable...

Thanks for the feedback, Adam. It sounds like you just need[ed] a good tune on the truck. That makes a lot of the driveability and check engine light issues go away. It won't help with the smell, though. :) I'm one of the weirdos that likes the smell of unburned fuel. ...almost smells as good as your products.

Archived