Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC Wheel of Misfortune

babaron

Question

:( This is the second time this has happened! Polishing with the 4" pads and it flew off!! I have tried tightening it as hard as I could. Am I doing something wrong?? It just screws on and tightens, right? Am I not pressing hard enough during polishing so that it spins too fast? What is up??:help:

21 answers to this question

Got it. Speed 4 has been used from that day on....of course I now have two PC's with both backing plates/adapters threadlocked in place, so won't have any issues regardless.:thumbsup:

Got the idea from Junkman, and I must say it's nice to have both locked and loaded without switching back and forth. It also minimizes wear on instal/removal of components.

Thanks for the reply.

Thats how I'm setup (Flex for bulk of work, PC setup with 4" full time)

Does make it much easier than having to swap back and forth constantly.

Had to comment because the title has me cracking up.. :lol:

I had this happen to me once. Thankfully I was working on my wheels and i slipped off into nothing so no damage was done. I wound up loctiting the plate to the adapter since I had some around. Wouldn't recommend if you ever wanted to use the drill though.

had it happen to me the first time I used the focus pads. I was at the bottom of the car and it just fell to the floor. No damage. I made sure to put it on tighter, and haven't had any issues since. I've only had them for a car and a half, but it's quite possibly the most awesome, versatile tool ever.

It does take some common sense to use, like just about anything with detailing. Not saying anyone is stupid, just saying I myself had a DUH moment with em.

What speed were you working at?

Never exceed the 4 setting with the 4" pads.

Got it. Speed 4 has been used from that day on....of course I now have two PC's with both backing plates/adapters threadlocked in place, so won't have any issues regardless.:thumbsup:

Got the idea from Junkman, and I must say it's nice to have both locked and loaded without switching back and forth. It also minimizes wear on instal/removal of components.

Thanks for the reply.

Dylan, it was the backing plate with the pad still attached. It left the bare metal threaded bolt exposed and, well, I don't need to go into details on what happened next. I'm anxiously awaiting the Doctor Colorchip order and hope I can hide it.

What speed were you working at?

I was on speed 4 and speed 5.

Never exceed the 4 setting with the 4" pads.

I had this happen to me, too. I wasn't too confident of the set up on my 4" pads so I didn't let her rip up to speed 4. I also knew that if that backing plate came off that I'd definitely mess up my car, so I was very cautious when using it the first time. I could hear and feel that it was coming off and I quickly pulled the PC away from my car. Luckily the plate wound up spinning off into my hand. I went back to the PC box (my was brand new and hadn't been out of the box for long!) and I checked the directions and at that time I realized that I could use the included wrench that I used to remove the original backing plate to secure the focus backing plate on the PC. When I first installed the focus backing plate on my PC, I wanted to use the wrench on the blue area to tighten it down. If you look below that, you'll see the metal part of the PC where you can slip the wrench in and use it to tighten it down. Also, notice there is a directional arrow on the front of the PC which tells you which direction to turn in order to tighten down. Once I did that, I went back and used the focus pad on my PC with no problems at all.

When I was doing this, I was wishing that there were some directions included with the focus kit. Maybe a one page direction showing pictures of what to do. However, by using the directions included with the PC, I figured it out.

Hope this helps.

My backing plate came off a few months ago while using the focus pads also. I noticed on the new set-up, the plastic backing plate bottoms out on the threaded stud. I don't know if this is a cause, but repeated removal of the backing plate will eventually cause the stud to dig into the plastic until it meets up with the threaded nutsert of the backing plate. I can post pics tomorrow. I was on speed 4 and speed 5.

babaron - did the pad or the backing plate fly off?

Dylan, it was the backing plate with the pad still attached. It left the bare metal threaded bolt exposed and, well, I don't need to go into details on what happened next. I'm anxiously awaiting the Doctor Colorchip order and hope I can hide it.

:( This is the second time this has happened! Polishing with the 4" pads and it flew off!! I have tried tightening it as hard as I could. Am I doing something wrong?? It just screws on and tightens, right? Am I not pressing hard enough during polishing so that it spins too fast? What is up??:help:

The Adam's group will look after you, but I strongly suggest you loctite this puppy.

Just to clarify, did the pad fly off the backing plate, the backing plate fly off the adapter, or the adapter fly off the PC? From the sounds of it the backing plate flew off the adapter, in which case, did you tighten the adapter into the backing plate with a wrench, or just by hand? I've never had any problems with mine, though I have the last generation of backing plate, not the current one, and I'm not sure which one you have (not that it should make a difference.)

Archived