Customer Service 866.965.0400

Halogen Lights Advice Needed

Frid

Question

Just got finished working on the camaro today. Due to the fact that I have no lights in my garage and trying to use a small flashlight is annoying (cant hold it and polish at the same time lol) thus leading to unacceptable work at the end that I'm not pleased with (everything dealing with me and nothing to do with Adam's products). I would literally have to drive around outside the house to find some sunlight and its been cloudy here lately. I'm looking into purchasing some halogen lights. I have researched a few online with Lowes but not sure which would be a good choice.

Shop Kobalt 1000-Watt Halogen Tower Work Light at Lowes.com

Shop Utilitech 1000-Watt Halogen Stand Work Light at Lowes.com

Shop Utilitech 1200-Watt Halogen Stand Work Light at Lowes.com

I like the Kobalt one a little better because it can be tilted. Not knowing anything bout lights haha, would a 1000w be suitable while working to see how I am doing on the paint? Thanks for reading and TIA for the help.

16 answers to this question

Seen some videos of that hand held one. You would prefer that over a stand? I can see how it might be better because you can move it around at different angles, so might hav e to buy one of those and a tower too.

You are correct on the Brinkman, it is handheld only. It is not a worklight, just a great tool for viewing at different angles. It works well in combination with a stand light.

Any advice on buying a tower? Need light in the garage :).

See my post at 09:26! :D

I've been using the one from Sears, same deal, buy a couple of extra bulbs while you are there. (don't want to lose the light during a big detail) Been using it for a year or so and no problems for me. Mine would not decline below horizontal until I got out the vice grips and flattened out the little detents on the light frames - works fine now. :) When you crank these up, you Will see the swirls, esp. on dark paint.

I bought a cheapie from big lots...........7 years ago. Countless uses, and never had to change the bulbs. It's 1000w and hella bright. I think it maybe cost $20.

I have a 1000watt workforce dual light/stand and so far I love it! Only cost me $35 at home depot. Also have a small 250watt workforce halogen as well. ZERO problems here. Have used the 1000watt ones on 3 Different occasions for details 6-8 hrs continuous each never had to change a bulb. As well as using them to just light up my tiny one car garage while doing various things as I only have 1 fixed light bulb in the ceiling. Again, so far, I have nothing bad to say at all about the 1000watt fixture height adjustable as well as swivel and tilt and doesn't come loose once adjusted. Just make sure that when installing or changing any halogen bulbs you don't touch them with your bare hands, the oils deplete the bulbs expected life :)

Checked local Home Depots. They have some in stock. I will go pick a couple up tomorrow :). Thanks!

I have a 1000watt workforce dual light/stand and so far I love it! Only cost me $35 at home depot. Also have a small 250watt workforce halogen as well. ZERO problems here. Have used the 1000watt ones on 3 Different occasions for details 6-8 hrs continuous each never had to change a bulb. As well as using them to just light up my tiny one car garage while doing various things as I only have 1 fixed light bulb in the ceiling. Again, so far, I have nothing bad to say at all about the 1000watt fixture height adjustable as well as swivel and tilt and doesn't come loose once adjusted. Just make sure that when installing or changing any halogen bulbs you don't touch them with your bare hands, the oils deplete the bulbs expected life :)

See my post at 09:26! :D

I'm confused if you are saying that one is garbage or not lol. I will definitely be getting that handheld one and if you are saying that you DO have that tower then I'll be looking into that one. :D

Seen some videos of that hand held one. You would prefer that over a stand? I can see how it might be better because you can move it around at different angles, so might hav e to buy one of those and a tower too. Any advice on buying a tower? Need light in the garage :).

I have the one Craftsman set Bob just posted. Worked pretty well for me during those evenings when I lost sunlight before I was ready to call it a night. I use the first setting for light and the second setting (the bright setting) for looking for imperfections.

I guess I will have to look into them more. If you guys could post up what you have it will make it easier for me to decide.

I have the 1000 watt Utilitech lights (2 x 500 watts) and I agree with the reviews on the Lowe's site that they are garbage. The first set lasted for a few uses, but quit working. Instead of buying a unit, I just bought 2 individual Utilitech lights. They did not last as long as the first set. Others may have had better luck with them than me.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I just picked up a Craftsman setup earlier this year.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

It's not perfect... I paid $25 on a sale with my sears card and it came with a free drop light.... so for the price, I accept the 'flaws' it may have compared to higher end models.

The adjustments are my 'flaw'. They tilt UP/DOWN but seem clinky and a little cheap.

I doubt the Kobalts are any better in the 'china' department. My Kobalt air impact gun is total crap since day one. Their 'lifetime no-questions asked' warranty sucks too. Only Kobalt tool I've had last is a pocket razor I've had for 6 years.

I'm looking for the hand-held scanner now -

was thinking about this :

Amazon.com: Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Spotlight: Home Improvement

I have the ones in the second link and I love them. Work great! I suggest two sets. Get light at as many angles as you can. Trust me you'll see stuff at one angle that you didn't at another and you'll be like darn I missed it.

080083534371xl.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Archived