Customer Service 866.965.0400

Winter detailing advice

Tantalizer43

Question

The good news is, I just bought a brand new daily driver. It's a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500. The good AND bad news is, it black! The bad news is, winter is here in Cincinnati. It is sub 20 degrees today.

I was unable to get a coat of Adam's Machine Super Sealant on it before the cold and salt struck. Also, in this temperature, driveway washes are about out of the question. I have taken it to a pressure wash booth, with my 2 buckets, grit guard, and Adam's Car Shampoo.

Anyway, any tips on how I can get a coat of Super Sealant on this thing? Any harm in just waiting until spring at this point? Any other tips?

10 answers to this question

If you have a garage, invest in a salamander kerosene heater. You can get one for around a 100 bucks or so. Just make sure you have adequate ventilation and keep away from gasoline or other combustibles. I would power wash it at the coin op car wash, drive it home, put in heated garage and then go over the vehicle with WW. Your best bet is the spray sealant at this time of year and I'd hit everything including any vinyl trim pieces. You can use a spray sealant in cold weather as long as it is above 32*. Before Adam's had one, I used the turtle "ice" product and achieved adequate results. I used it last winter and the stuff lasts a pretty long time. Go with Adam's spray sealant for sure unless you have the cheaper stuff on hand. Anything you can get on the truck is a bonus this time of year.

My advice if you can put it in a garage use a space heater to warm the garage and the truck then you can add the mss. Here in Colorado we don't get to many days that are good for detailing from nov to apr

Thanks guys! The quick sealant seems pretty reasonable. I can do that right in the car wash bay. Just ordered a quick selant kit. I hope one can will be enough? Its a crew cab truck...

In the spring, Ill do a good claybar and MSS application.

Thanks guys! The quick sealant seems pretty reasonable. I can do that right in the car wash bay. Just ordered a quick selant kit. I hope one can will be enough? Its a crew cab truck...

In the spring, Ill do a good claybar and MSS application.

Good call. When applying the QS just start by spraying the pad, then a little on the paint. Spread out as needed, then only add more as you need it. A little goes a long ways and you can waste a lot of product fogging the whole truck down.

Pretty much my applications have gone this way:

1. Prime Applictor with small spray
  2. Spray first panel section lightly
  3. Spread over the area
  4. Spray more into the app for the next panel as needed
  5. Spray directly onto the vehicle only in areas where its harder to reach with the app (around door handles, badges, trim, etc)

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, we have a video on winter washing that might be helpful for you:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wash-dry-clay-bar/15165.htm

Archived