Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wax adhesion over glaze?

PDC

Question

Never used a glaze before. Always relied on painstaking polishing with each progressive grit and then layering my sealant/wax.

Dying to try Brilliant Glaze ... BUT ... will this product affect the adhesion of wax or sealant to the paint? Will my wax/sealant not stick as well or last as long if I lay it on top of a layer of glaze which by it's very nature is filled with fine oils???

14 answers to this question

Works just fine! (and looks great - try it and see).

On my DD (lives outside) I usually layer MSS, then BG, then Americana. I have done just BG and Americana over clean paint, and no issues there either. Try it out, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Putting Americana over BG seals that glaze 'look' in under the Americana. All I know when putting down the BG is that after the wipe down, I look at it and can't quite figure out what I am seeing or why I like it, but it does look better!

will this product affect the adhesion of wax or sealant to the paint?

No, because waxes really don't 'adhere' to the paint like a sealant does. Waxes more ride along on top of whatever they're applied to, but they don't form bonds like a sealant.

This is why glaze can be applied UNDER a wax, but can't be shouldn't be applied under a sealant.

Hopefully that makes sense. :thumbsup:

I've got a little experiment going on with my daily driver company car right now. I won't go into all the details but. On October 6 one side of the hood has one coat of Americana applied over glaze and the other half has one coat of Americana applied over MSS. I sprayed the car off yesterday January 12th and there is still no difference in how either half of the hood beads. This car gets washed almost everyother weekend.

The wax holds to the galze, to this point, just as well as to the sealant: 14 weeks and counting!

Got my box Saturday - Sunday was an 8-hour day in the garage with 2 pots of coffee.

1) - Washed the wife's ML with Dawn and clay barred it. Paint was in very good condition from prior FLEX polish sessions. Went over the whole car once with ***************************** since these MBs tend to be pretty hard and pretty stubborn with conventional polishes. Then broke out the Porter Cable and laid down a nice even coat of Machine Sealant. Let it set for about an hour. Absolutely, unequivocally the BEST looking, slipperiest sealant I have EVER used. Finish is crystal clear and paint looks wet and a mile deep. Machine Sealant has perhaps the best 'fill' properties I have ever seen. Unreal. Could not be happier.

2) Wiped down the red TA and laid a coat of glaze on top of the wax just to see what it would do. Need I say any more? Looks like the car had just rolled out of the paint booth.

3) For comparison, I misted and wiped the new 'quick sealant' aerosol on the green TA. Crazy, crazy wet looking and slick. Lay a micro fiber towell on the hood and it will literally slide down to the nose of the car and fall off the paint. Just stoopid good product.

SO - glaze on top of wax and quick sealant get two HUGE thumbs up from me. I am guessing the Quick Sealant may last a little longer that the glaze when applied as a finishint touch. Can't wait to strip the TAs and use the glaze between the perfected paint and the Americana the way it is intended.

THANK YOU ADAM

P.S. has anyone had the pleasure of talking with 'Lynn' when you phone your order in? She is absolutely delightful and knows more about detailing than just about anyone I have ever spoken with. Gotta' love a gal who can't drive her car without having the wheelwells scrubbed and sprayed with underbody detailer. That's marryin' material!

I know what you mean when you state the fill properties of the MSS. However, to the best of my knowledge there are no fillers in MSS. It does really seem to level off the surface though and I agree on the added wet look and depth it provides. Fillers would be in the glaze. I thoroughly cleaned and clayed a six year old Toyota Sienna Mini Van back in early December that had never been polished, the customer only wanted it protected for the winter, so MSS was applied to a clean vehicle. From anywhere outside of 5-10 feet you couldn't see any defects in the paint! He thought I'd polished it.

BG on top of wax, or sealant, won't last past the next wash job at most. I use it prior to or at shows on the GTO for that unbelievable final pop. The QS used as directed on bare paint should last you at least six weeks. Overtop of wax or sealant? Who knows? Probably nowhere near as long as on bare paint, but you'll never know unless you experiment :thumbsup:

Archived