Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay vs IPA Wipedown

babaron

Question

13 answers to this question

IPA wipedown and claying are two different things for two different purposes.

The IPA wipedown is to remove any previously used product from the paint, like waxes, sealants, or glazes. The idea is to clean the finish off so that you can reapply products, or, to get ready for your machine polishing session so that any residual product will not get into the polishing pads. Basically, it gives you wax-free/sealant-free paint.

The clay removes small particles that are embedded in the surface of your clearcoat. When you remove these, the finish is smooth as glass.

So then ideally you should do both before polishing, right? Claying does not remove old wax or polish?

IPA or a Dawn wash to remove the old protection first. Clay only if you don't pass the baggie test.

I usually do a 2 Bucket Wash using about 2oz Adam's Car Shampoo and 1-2oz Adam's APC. This will give you a good, clean base to work with. I follow it up with clay, using the baggie test to determine where and how much to clay.

Follow up with either Revive Hand Polish, or go through the full PC/Flex process.

Seal paint, then enjoy!

You are talking about two different cleaning processes.

Claying

Claying removes particles from your paint (single stage or clear) so that when you polish you can have confidence that those particles will not be picked up and mar the surface you are trying to correct. (It can also removes some particles not possible in a wash -- like sap, etc). As others have mentioned, doing a baggie test (slipping your hands in a baggie and lightly going over your paint with your hand in the bag) will tell you if claying is indicated. This is usually a must when you first get a new car (rail dust,etc), and after some period of time outside or in "bad" conditions.

IPA wipe down

IPA can be used in several different points in the process. One of the most common is after the polish and before the sealant and wax, to remove any oils from the polishing process. (This also gives you a good idea of the state of your correction) IPA can also be used after a wash (non-dawn) to remove wax and fillers so you can see where you are before you start the correction process. This is especially true if you have bought the car from a dealer (they may use fillers to cover poor buffing or other issues)

Hope this helps.

I would say that you only clay as needed, but always strip the finish with an IPA wipedown or Dawn wash. If you clay just a little, there is a chance that you won't get all the sealant etc. off the finish. I have tried it both ways, and found in my case that the IPA wipe down gives me a little faster correction.

Two different beasts although Clay can do some of what IPA does, but IPA can't do what Clay does.

The brood here has already mentioned what's up.

If you want to eliminate the IPA Wipedown, then simply add 4oz. of APC to your wash bucket. That should be enough to strip off any remaining wax or sealant.

Mook

OK have only been around here for a few months but why waste a good IPA shouldn't you drink it?

Silly rabbit, the other IPA - Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Save the good IPA for after you're done!

Archived