Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning VRT out of pads

NavyChief

Question

Guys,

VRT works great on vinyl and rubber, but its almost near impossible to clean it out of the pads once the detail job is over with. I've tried soaking it in Dawn dish detergent, simple green, you name it, I've tried it. Any tips on how to clean the VRT out of the detailing pads?

Paul

22 answers to this question

After a year or so of use the 'bumps' on the tire applicator are almost gone, so it is pretty much at the end of it's useful life.

Losing my Adam's cherry very soon - so the internets is where I get all my info LOL

I have a dedicated trim and tire applicator which I just put back in baggies to use the next time. Each spring I throw them away and start off with a fresh set for the rest of the year.

haha ok got it. I was under the impressing tons of stuff was getting tossed. I figured, "well I respect the guys commitment to truly clean apps.!" Thanks

After a year or so of use the 'bumps' on the tire applicator are almost gone, so it is pretty much at the end of it's useful life.

I use (1) block applicator, cut in half, per year. These things are dirt cheap ($9 for a 6-pack).

haha ok got it. I was under the impressing tons of stuff was getting tossed. I figured, "well I respect the guys commitment to truly clean apps.!" Thanks

Cleaning V1 of VRT is a cinch with water. V2 (Super VRT) is pointless to try and clean out of applicators. You'll use more APC than the applicator is worth.

I have a dedicated trim and tire applicator which I just put back in baggies to use the next time. Each spring I throw them away and start off with a fresh set for the rest of the year.

Instead of throwing them away, may I have them?

Cleaning V1 of VRT is a cinch with water. V2 (Super VRT) is pointless to try and clean out of applicators. You'll use more APC than the applicator is worth.

If we are being totally honest here...I only wash that thing out when I notice it's actually laying dirty SVRT down. Which isn't often. It's always hitting freshly cleaned tires. I clean it only often enough so that I am not picking up a Hex Grip Applicator that is as heavy as a brick. :lolsmack:

My tire applicator never comes totally clean but I am ok with that.

Agreed. It's also not worth wasting your APC to clean it. I do what you do and get most of it with a papertowel. If someone says they are getting a well used pro tire applicator totally clean with APC, then they aren't being exactly truthful with you:).

+1

x2 on what the other said about cutting the block applicators in half - I actually like to cut them in half diagonally so I end up with two triangles. I find the thinner/pointed corners work well for smaller areas.

This is why I enjoy reading these forums. Never occurred to me to do this but I went home last night and now I have have 10 triangle-shaped foam applicators instead of 5 blocks. Many thanks for these suggestions.

^^^ This. At my apartment I just use throwaway tupperware, soaking ftw.

My tire app has been used weekly for about six months now (give or take) and the svrt has migrated into the handle. No amount of soaking, baking, flushing, boiling will remove all the residue. I've tried it all and you still get some residue if I where to touch it withough gloves.

Point being, a little spritz and hot water to remove a good amount of the product, blot with some paper towels and your good to go in my opinion. No need to get it spotless when your just going to use them the next weekend. Plus they don't touch your paint, so I kind of don't understand the logic of getting them spotless.

Not being a jerk, just playing devils advocate here. :banana:

My tire applicator never comes totally clean but I am ok with that.:cheers:

Agreed. It's also not worth wasting your APC to clean it. I do what you do and get most of it with a papertowel. If someone says they are getting a well used pro tire applicator totally clean with APC, then they aren't being exactly truthful with you:).

x2 on what the other said about cutting the block applicators in half - I actually like to cut them in half diagonally so I end up with two triangles. I find the thinner/pointed corners work well for smaller areas.

For cleaning both the block applicator and tire applicator I use full strength All Purpose Cleaner. I liberally spray it, usually 6-8 sprays. Then I work the applicator with my fingers and will also squeeze the applicator to agitate and force the APC to work its way through the applicator totally (I usually still have my gloves on for this step to keep my normally dry cuticles from soaking up all the dirt).

Then rinse the applicator with as hot water, as hot as you can handle. While the water is flowing over the applicator I keep squeezing in different directions.

You may need to repeat the APC and rinsing a couple times, depending on how dirty and saturated with SVRT your applicator is.

My tire applicator never comes totally clean but I am ok with that.

After the rinse I then use a couple shop paper towels to squeeze the applicator and aborb as much as possible from it. Then I place the applicator, face down on a clean shop paper towel that I have in the applicator's assigned storage space and it stays there until its next use. I place it face down so that any moisture/residue in there doesn't settle further down into the pad but hopefully works its way to the surface and gets absorbed by the clean paper towel it is sitting on.

:cheers:

Archived