Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pinstripes

GaryW

Question

I have a 07 Tahoe. Silver Metallic. Has the light grey pinstripes down the sides.. Would like to remove the stirpes and polish them off.

Do not know if that would be the best best or not? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

:patriot:

24 answers to this question

Tried the right front qtr panel this weekend,, Hair dryer and goo gone and other things,,, left a faint line from the adhesive. It should polish out. Need to get one of those rubber wheels,, the hair dryer takes forever.

need to finish getting the pinstripes off then the GM logo on the driver and passenger door needs to come off. I am hoping that logo is stuck on with adhesive also.. I am thinking it will peel off with some heat.

Thanks for all the information, I have a dealer decal that has to go. Will first try to let the sun warm the area and see if I can peel it off. Then clean off the adhesive and hit the area with polish and some Americana. Has been on for less than a year so should be easy.

Helped remove a set of pin stripes from a 2008 Chevy Avalanche a couple weeks ago. We used a hair dryer to heat up the area which allowed the vinyl portion to lift off. Most all the adhesive was left on the paint. 3M Adhesive Remover, Plastic Razor Blade and Goo Gone took care of all the adhesive. There was no faded paint under the striping of this Deep Ruby Metallic paint.

The thicker of the two stripes peeled right off, the lower, thinner one would tear at about an inch at a time. Pretty time consuming job this way, but barely a mark on the paint. The Flex cleaned it right up with no extra effort in the arear the pin stripes were.

Good Info thanks.... Got a weekend project now. Nice looking Avalanche might I add.. Love that color :2thumbs:

Helped remove a set of pin stripes from a 2008 Chevy Avalanche a couple weeks ago. We used a hair dryer to heat up the area which allowed the vinyl portion to lift off. Most all the adhesive was left on the paint. 3M Adhesive Remover, Plastic Razor Blade and Goo Gone took care of all the adhesive. There was no faded paint under the striping of this Deep Ruby Metallic paint.

The thicker of the two stripes peeled right off, the lower, thinner one would tear at about an inch at a time. Pretty time consuming job this way, but barely a mark on the paint. The Flex cleaned it right up with no extra effort in the arear the pin stripes were.

Here is a photo I took,, Hope it comes out good. If I get it off, I am sure there will be a color difference due to this being a 2007... But gives me another reason to break out Ye Old Faithful PC..... :pc:

pinstripe.jpg

I know it's been said many times before, but be extremely careful! My car came with pin stripes from the dealer and I thought nothing of it. After three months of sun, i decided to take them off, only to find out that all the adhesive was left on the car. Although I used goo-gone, a heat gun, a very soft cloth, and tons of patience (took me 2.5 hours to do just one side) I was still left with the most horrible looking scratches. Many PC treatments later, some of it is still there. If I had known, I would have had them order a different car!

It would be the same way as removing badging just use common sense and take your time. If you use a heatgun be careful not to get your paint to hot me personally I would use a hairdryer as its safer and should supply more than enough heat to soften up the adheasive for removal.

I pulled the pinstripes off of the wifes Vue by parking it in the sun in the summer time then just pulled them off and used some goo gone and followed by some polish and you cant tell they were there

where might one find this deal at

Any big autoparts store. Napa, etc. or any store that sells automotive paint. Just for a pinstripe eraser wheel.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-07498-Hardware/dp/B00063VT0G]3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 4 in x 5/8 in, w/Hardware - 7498AM: Amazon.com: Home Improvement[/ame]

From what I gather, the wheel and the spray are basically the same thing. Be very careful using either. Also check out some YouTube videos of people using the wheel to get an idea of how to use it. You could burn your clear coat very easy if used wrong...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKN5_UfDik]Using the 3M Stripe Off Wheel (eraser wheel) 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Silverado Lifted on Cognito - YouTube[/ame]

heat gun and slow process with polishing after, thats how i got my moms off. looks like they were never there :D

going to try that this weekend. see how it works,, will post some photos when done.. :xfingers:

If you can catch a clean edge, you may be able to pull off those puppies....just be careful and use common sense.

Still gonna need to polish and protect after. ;)

Mook

Cool thanks Mook... Going to the Camaro show and see Mike Saturday,, get some pointer on PC, then I will attack that. Figure get it done then polishes it back up. Thanks for help!!

:2thumbs:

Are the painted on or just pinstripe tape? That will make a difference on how to remove them.

It looks like tape. Not painted,, I can feel the edges of it.

best way would be with a heat gun, then wipe off any adhesive with automotive goo goo gone

Was thinking of that

If they are like my pinstripes...I imagine a rubber wheel would take them off. OR, take it to the dealer, tell them ONLY to remove the stripes, then be prepared to polish back and protect those areas because they will have left tanlines.

I almost feel like I could use a fingernail and start to pull it up,, then slowly with a heat gun remove it. I was looking for a close up photo,, will have to post it when I get home. But it tape not a paint.

If they are like my pinstripes...I imagine a rubber wheel would take them off. OR, take it to the dealer, tell them ONLY to remove the stripes, then be prepared to polish back and protect those areas because they will have left tanlines.

Archived