Customer Service 866.965.0400

Plastidip

bjoeaull

This stuff does not peel off Easy like you all say. I was screwing around with this stuff and my stockers for a little mod project I tried. Long story short, I found a better alternative, and also spent over four hours removing that stuff from the face of one wheel.

I even had the Aircraft stripper out.

Mook you are right. This stuff doesn't come off easy. I had the same issue as you did.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is easy to peel if its thick enough. Too thin of coats and its a pain to remove. i did 2 light coats, then 2 medium coats, then one thick coat (without runs) and it was really easy to peel off.

Exactly! Too little, and it's a pain.

If you run into to trouble, just rub it with your finger and try to get it to roll, then just keep peeling back

• 3 weeks later...
I've got it on my emblems, wheels, old grille, old hood emblem, and chrome bits. Love the stuff

Also, since it's technically a rubber type substance, VRT makes it pop! And protects it from looking dingy, which it definitely starts to do when it gts too dirty

I've been holding off ordering any of this product because I can't find enough info pertaining to how thick one can apply it and still make sure it won't come off.

I want to do my sway bar, both skid plates and the rear differential. IF I do this, will regular, small road rock - what they use on snow covered roads - beat this stuff off? Had planned to do all the brake calipers but I know they take one heck of a beating from these small ROCKS - so decided to have them powder coated.

Before I do this I plan on putting the truck on a lift and pressure wash it so I can get the areas I want painted, thoroughly cleaned.

You said VRT was great to use on it. Have you tried, or can you even do it, that being, spraying Quick Sealant over it? I'm really hung up on the QS. 8 more cans to go and then it will be time to re-order. :lol:

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. With the truck being Silver, I can't buy that particular color for the underside of the truck so going to go with a pale red. With having just installed a 2 1/2" leveling kit, that should be high enough so the red can be seen.

Oh, forgot to ask. Naturally all these painted areas are on the underside and I realize they are going to get very dirty. Can a guy just take a hose and spray the dirt off or would you have to use a pressure washer. I don't want to blast the material off though. What's the "normal" lifetime of this product.

Many Tks!

Edited by Corners
Question

It hold up against rock hits on grilles and wheels with ease so I'm sure it would have no problem underneath. Even if it does start to chip (which I doubt it will) you can always respray it

Yes, you can spray it off with a hose no problem, you can even use all purpose cleaner!

put a solid 3-4 coats on and it will last a pretty good while

It hold up against rock hits on grilles and wheels with ease so I'm sure it would have no problem underneath. Even if it does start to chip (which I doubt it will) you can always respray it

Yes, you can spray it off with a hose no problem, you can even use all purpose cleaner!

put a solid 3-4 coats on and it will last a pretty good while

Well I think you better fill out an application for the company and see how soon you can start. :lol: Don't think you'll have any problems getting references from all on here.

Soon as my buddy gets a car off of his lift, taking my truck over, prepping all the areas and by that time the product should be here.

Oregon should make it mandatory that every vehicle has to put skid plates on during winter months. Our road department doesn't use "cinders," they use ROCKS. A guy could open a roadside transmission/engine pan replacement company during the winter months.

Many TKS! :2thumbs:

This is a GREAT site to answer a lot of your DIP questions! DYC Home - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier

Well I just finished calling the phone # for the link you gave me. Called five times and got an answering machine where you "can't" leave a msg.

Did a google search on it. Most places are selling it in a "rubber" form - not a nice spray on.

Two local stores are suppose to carry it but after talking to them, they've never heard of it.

It has to be out there SOMEPLACE. :confused:

I got mine from Home Depot, if you watch his vidoes on how to coat wheels it may answer some of your questions.

One of the two local stores I was talking about that is suppose to sell this stuff is Home Depot and then also Wal-Mart. As I said, neither of them said they had ever heard of it.

They do sell "rubber in a can." It's a spray on product that might??? be good for the under side of a vehicle but not what I'm looking for. Probably be good for doing plastic fender wells if somebody is into that.

This is a GREAT site to answer a lot of your DIP questions! DYC Home - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier

I "finally" got to talk to a live person at Industrial Protective Coatings & Adhesives, Plastic Coatings, Protective Foam Coatings which is their corp. office.

They "do not" sell to individuals but did refer me to a lady in CA who is a retailer for the company. If anybody is interested, her name is Ruth and she can be reached at 1 800 735 8665.

She sells this product in either a spray can or by the gallon.

She was absolutely amazed as to what those on here are doing with this product.

Edited by Corners
Change of link address

Let me start by saying that I don't work for Performix and am not being paid by them :lol:

Now, having said that: Plasti-Dip is the shiznitz!!. I used it last year to paint my doors (yes!) for a car show:

copcar.jpg

To all of you who commented that it is a pain to remove, you're doing it wrong! They key is to put a thick enough layer on which will make it more durable and easier to take off. Here's a video I took last year the day after that car show, to demonstrate HOW EASY this stuff comes off:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i9Di45eIVs]Removing Plasti-Dip is a breeze! - YouTube[/ame]

At the same time, it will STAY ON if you need it to. I tried the water hose, even the pressure washer and it does not come off. Someone said they would never use this on paint, actually, it can protect your paint. I made sure to put a good coat of wax on to make it easier to remove the stuff since I only wanted it on there for a few days. If your car isn't a daily driver, Plasti-Dip is a great product to use as a temporary clear/opaque bra if you do take her out!

I haven't tried this, but I heard someone on another forum say gasoline was great at stripping this stuff off.

No, no, no!! Using a solvent will only create a big mess. As long as you have prepped the surface properly, and you put enough of a coat on there, it will peel right off, just like in my video above!

At dipyourcar.com they sell complete kits for doing just your emblems to doing your entire car, complete with a spray gun! Now, being as anal about our car's paint as we all are on here, I have to admit that some of the videos make me cringe a bit, like where they paint the wheels while on the car, and without masking the fender... or how "Fonzi" slams the roll of blue painter's tape on the roof of his Audi S4 time and again as he is prepping the car... Or how they do the entire car project outside in the elements...

But I do believe there are many many useful applications for this stuff, whether to protect parts of your car, change the look temporarily, or even just to see what for instance black wheels look like before you have them powder coated permanently.

I'm planning a few Plasti-Dip projects this summer with my car club, we might even do an originality contest. I'll be sure to post the results here :)

Oh, and finally, I've found that they have the best selection and supply of Plasti-Dip products at my local Ace hardware store! And of course you can order from dipyourcar.com, they definitely sell the entire collection, spray cans as well as bulk.

Let me start by saying that I don't work for Performix and am not being paid by them :lol:

Well I'm going to fill out an application for you. :)

I have my RAM all cleaned on the underside and ready to be painted. Just waiting for the UPS truck to deliver my ORDER!

I'm finding so many different things to dip. Wife won't allow me near her Mercedes or any of her crystal. That's okay, she has to sleep sometime. :banana:

One of the two local stores I was talking about that is suppose to sell this stuff is Home Depot and then also Wal-Mart. As I said, neither of them said they had ever heard of it.

They do sell "rubber in a can." It's a spray on product that might??? be good for the under side of a vehicle but not what I'm looking for. Probably be good for doing plastic fender wells if somebody is into that.

They do sell it at our Home Depot. I have 4 Cans of It. It is in the spray paint isle kind of in the middle on the bottome shelf. Sometimes it gets pushed back on the shelf and is hard to see

Just picked up a couple cans at Lowes today. I want to get the gold meatized spray and do the grill on my p/u. They also have a four color kit that you can mix and match to make any different colors.

Oh the possibilities.

Bluezey

Just picked up a couple cans at Lowes today. I want to get the gold meatized spray and do the grill on my p/u. They also have a four color kit that you can mix and match to make any different colors.

Oh the possibilities.

Bluezey

I didn't know this product existed until I read about it on this forum. The possibilities are absolutely endless. Trying to talk the wife into letting me do the wheels on her Mercedes. "Trying" was about as far as I got. :(

Plastidip on the Irocs...

100_9064-1.jpg

That is really cool looking. I don't know what your local laws are pertaining to tinting your windows so black. However, here in Oregon, the cops would rather get in a high speed chase to give you a ticket for having them that way rather than really catching the bad guys.

I got pulled over the other day because both back side windows on my new RAM truck was considered to black. Told the cop to take it up with Dodge - got a verbal warning. So am I now suppose to have the dealer re-do the factory windows? How stupid!!:confused:

That is really cool looking. I don't know what your local laws are pertaining to tinting your windows so black. However, here in Oregon, the cops would rather get in a high speed chase to give you a ticket for having them that way rather than really catching the bad guys.

I got pulled over the other day because both back side windows on my new RAM truck was considered to black. Told the cop to take it up with Dodge - got a verbal warning. So am I now suppose to have the dealer re-do the factory windows? How stupid!!:confused:

Here in Vegas cops are super lenient about tint.

What you're looking at there is 3% all the way around, and 35% on the front windshield.

I ran 13% on the front windshield of my 95 GMC, direct sunlight, you couldn't see in that truck haha.