Customer Service 866.965.0400

Plastidip

bjoeaull

Here in Vegas cops are super lenient about tint.

What you're looking at there is 3% all the way around, and 35% on the front windshield.

I ran 13% on the front windshield of my 95 GMC, direct sunlight, you couldn't see in that truck haha.

now THATS the way to do it :jester:

Im layering the 5% with another 15 on the mini as soon as i have some cash sitting around, im also going todo the front windshield 30% (because thats the lowest my tint guy will do on the windshield)

I have 3 1/2% on the workvan and love it, when i get into the mini its just too lite. NJ they are kinda strict on tint but depends on the county and if the cop is in a good mood, but because i have PA license plates and PA doesnt care i dont get bothered :D

Next weekend ill be plastidipping the side scuttles with the S in it black, and i think im going to try the door handles, people on the mini forums say it doesnt hold up but i dont actually "grab" the handle, I slide my hand behind it, push against it and pull the door without grabbing it (if that makes sense) then to close i just push on the handle a bit and let the wieght of the door do the rest :)

7e043ac2.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Vegas cops are super lenient about tint.

What you're looking at there is 3% all the way around, and 35% on the front windshield.

I ran 13% on the front windshield of my 95 GMC, direct sunlight, you couldn't see in that truck haha.

Having been a Deputy Sheriff many moons ago, I can see the negative side of dark windows. The police office can't see what might be walking up to. But on the negative negative side, I don't understand how drivers can see where their going. :lol:

I'm "not" taking my verbal warning serious. Going to make an appt in the next week or so to have mine tinted.

Having been a Deputy Sheriff many moons ago, I can see the negative side of dark windows. The police office can't see what might be walking up to. But on the negative negative side, I don't understand how drivers can see where their going. :lol:

I'm "not" taking my verbal warning serious. Going to make an appt in the next week or so to have mine tinted.

Living in Vegas, you'd be surprised driving around with really dark tint, it's actually no big deal when you're inside the vehicle.

Same thing at night here, it's so damn bright with all the street lights, etc. that it's not an issue for driving.

Now....living in the country side where it's pitch black outside at night time, then I could totally see it being an issue.

now THATS the way to do it :jester:

Im layering the 5% with another 15 on the mini as soon as i have some cash sitting around, im also going todo the front windshield 30% (because thats the lowest my tint guy will do on the windshield)

I have 3 1/2% on the workvan and love it, when i get into the mini its just too lite. NJ they are kinda strict on tint but depends on the county and if the cop is in a good mood, but because i have PA license plates and PA doesnt care i dont get bothered :D

Next weekend ill be plastidipping the side scuttles with the S in it black, and i think im going to try the door handles, people on the mini forums say it doesnt hold up but i dont actually "grab" the handle, I slide my hand behind it, push against it and pull the door without grabbing it (if that makes sense) then to close i just push on the handle a bit and let the wieght of the door do the rest :)

7e043ac2.jpg

This was my GMC hehe....13% on the front

100_9105.jpg

wow how do you drive with that??^^

you would be surprised. The reason why its hard to see out your sides (for some)when your sides are dark and the windshield is not is there is more light that floods the cabin, and when the light floods inside its a bit harder to see through. But if the windshield is done less light is being let in and there for much easier to see out of all windows at night.

your visibility is still "impaired" no matter the % of tint, its actually safer to have your windshield done if your like us and insist on deep/dark tint :D

xenon headlights are a must though if you tint your windshield, with 30% tint its like looking through a clear windshield with halogen lights on a brand new car.

you would be surprised. The reason why its hard to see out your sides (for some)when your sides are dark and the windshield is not is there is more light that floods the cabin, and when the light floods inside its a bit harder to see through. But if the windshield is done less light is being let in and there for much easier to see out of all windows at night.

your visibility is still "impaired" no matter the % of tint, its actually safer to have your windshield done if your like us and insist on deep/dark tint :D

xenon headlights are a must though if you tint your windshield, with 30% tint its like looking through a clear windshield with halogen lights on a brand new car.

What he said ^

Basically, without the front windshield tinted, you get more glare on the inside of your tinted side windows.

He won best in show i don't think i could do this to a new s4

Holy cow! Completely different different car! I will look to see if he taped the rest of what he mentioned - gloss stuff, etc.

I was suppose to have my new RAM done last week but got kicked to the back because a local politician went to the head of the line. With the RAM, both passenger windows are really tinted dark. Almost have to put your nose on the window to see inside.

Want the same thing done to the driver/passenger window - maybe a tad darker. However our local police have a little device they stick over the top of the window, covering both sides if I remember correctly. From that they take a reading of how dark the tint is. You usually get either a verbal warning or a "fix it" ticket.

Our cops are a rare bunch. One month they go after you really heavy if your tires stick out to far and you don't have mud flaps. Next month may be because the front end of your vehicle is sticking a little over the white strip in a Ped. crossing zone. And the kicker for me was getting stopped because I had a piece of mud on my rear lic. plate and the cop couldn't clearly see what the one number was. :confused:

the plastidip works great! i did my wheels white for a few months and black, if you spray 4-5 coats you can get it off in ONE piece, the prep is key as stated in previous posts, i have had mine dipped black for about 14 months now, i clean them every few days and they still look good and have that nice matte finish on them, when my VRT comes im going to put some on and see how it looks.

How does this stuff do on primer? My brother has a 72 Datsun 510 and has all the glass out now and cant afford a professional paint job on it... more or less half assing it and just wants it runnning... its got a SOHC 240 motor in it. Right now the car is in rattle can primer. Its not exactly smooth by any means. Would it stick too much and bond too well since its a rougher primer? I showed him this and thought it would be a cool alternative until he gets the money to spray it professionally.

How does this stuff do on primer? My brother has a 72 Datsun 510 and has all the glass out now and cant afford a professional paint job on it... more or less half assing it and just wants it runnning... its got a SOHC 240 motor in it. Right now the car is in rattle can primer. Its not exactly smooth by any means. Would it stick too much and bond too well since its a rougher primer? I showed him this and thought it would be a cool alternative until he gets the money to spray it professionally.

Plastidip works on just about everything.

I can't see any reason that it would stick more, if applied right, it comes right off when you want it too! I'm sure it will work just fine!

Plus a matte black 510 would look sick! If he gets some nice wheels and applies the dip right, he might not even want to get it sprayed professionally. Save the money to put in the car!

• 1 month later...

That looks really good. Is that flat white or did you clear coat it? because it looks glossy

I love Plasti Dip some people rip on it and think it looks Ricy, but I think its great.

I did my air ducts on my SS. Trying to decided if i want to hit them with a coat of the Glossifier or leave them flat

(Sorry about the dirty truck)

2012-03-24_08-41-21_813-1.jpg

• 10 months later...

i'm reviving this thread, because i'm thinking about Plastidipping the chrome part of my running boards.

for those that have used this product, how do you think it will hold up to people stepping on it? for whatever reason, people that i cart around tend to not always step on the black plastic part of the running boards!

i'm thinking they would look good and kind of "disappear" with the plastidip on them.

photo of the subject:

66BFBAAE-83FF-4A52-86F8-09FA9592200D-472-000000AE5B3C994D_zps32dbbf21.jpg

for those that have used this product, how do you think it will hold up to people stepping on it?

I'll vote "not well at all."

Even if your prep/application is perfect, it's not designed to be used in a high-traffic area like that.

You can try it, but be sure to temper your expectations IMO.

I'll vote "not well at all."

Even if your prep/application is perfect, it's not designed to be used in a high-traffic area like that.

You can try it, but be sure to temper your expectations IMO.

LOL, thanks Nick! might go the route of getting some aftermarket ones then. the driver side has a small ding in the side, not worth spending a lot of money powdercoating them. pretty disappointed in the OE chrome