Customer Service 866.965.0400

Installing HIDs friday

bjoeaull

So I bought an HID kit late fall and hopefully I will be installing them this friday on my Sierra Denali. I got the 5k's for my lo beams, and I will be putting silverstars in the fogs, and the chrome turn signal bulbs in that light up orange. I chose to not do the fogs HID also because I like my mods to keep a factory look, and to me fog HIDs scream custom. I want people to think it came that way from the factory, or hopefully anyways. Even though usually they look great matching each other, just not wanting that look right now.

My father in law offered to help me with the job, great because he's a GM mechanic and has been for like 40 years. So he will be able to help me with getting to the lights because i hear its a real pain taking out the headlights, also will be clutch in trying to aim them correctly so that I won't blind people too badly. But he is not really up on mods, he's a straight forward kinda guy, so custom things aren't up his alley. So if anyone has any advice or tips I greatly appreciate it. I do plan on pulling the DRL fuses so that they won't try to run in daytime.

Take your time! I can't stress this enough. When things start getting complicated and you get frustrated, and it will happen haha, you start breaking things or mess something up. I installed hids on a friends mazda6 and accidentally broke a piece that thankfully was not important.

Just relax and be patient! Your end result will be worth it! :2thumbs:

Are you just swapping bulbs with the xenons and ballast kit?if so then no need to remove your lights. Or did you get a whole lens kit? Either way it's fairly straight foward and simple wiring. You run the power line directly from the battery to the ballasts and then the relay simply taps the exhisting light wire using a scotch lock.

One thing, MAKE SURE your low beams arnt serving as your DRLs otherwise you will fry he relays and ballast. if they are serving a duel purpose you will need to get an adapter and you will no longer have DRLs.

Thanks guys, I'm sure it will be tedious. I hope we don't run into many problems. I'm sure my father in law will know the easiest way to get to the headlights, but in many cases on the new sierra you have to either take off the bumper or grill. Sometimes you can reach in from the fender liner so we shall see. Not sure why they make it so hard to get to.

It is an HID kit with the balasts and all.

I plan on removing the drl fuses to avoid that problem.

So with possibly reversing the polarity, is it just trial and error, basically test before I put everything back together? I assume it will be immediately obvious theres a problem with it when I turn them on?

I already have a set I got from spencershids.com, but those you found look nice! I wish I had projectors but I don't have the time or maybe the skill to install those in my headlights, and I don't want aftermarket cheap headlights. I hope to be able to aim them so they aren't blinding.

I already have a set I got from spencershids.com, but those you found look nice! I wish I had projectors but I don't have the time or maybe the skill to install those in my headlights, and I don't want aftermarket cheap headlights. I hope to be able to aim them so they aren't blinding.

Ya I was lucky my car came with them just had standard bulbs.

Check out these guys they may make a headlight for your car.

Spyder Auto - Projector Headlights,Tail Lights,Crystal Headlights,Fog Lights,Brake Lights,Accessories

just giving input you do whatever you like but to me $279 for a hid kit is nuts, and when I did research I thought Phillps didn't even make HID kits anymore and if you did manage to find one there are alot of fake phillps hid kits out there for that same price. I actually bought mine from here HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning takes about 1-2 weeks to get them because there made in china but for around $50 shipped there awsome and I highly recomend them:2thumbs:

just giving input you do whatever you like but to me $279 for a hid kit is nuts, and when I did research I thought Phillps didn't even make HID kits anymore and if you did manage to find one there are alot of fake phillps hid kits out there for that same price. I actually bought mine from here HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning takes about 1-2 weeks to get them because there made in china but for around $50 shipped there awsome and I highly recomend them:2thumbs:

I would rather pay for something that is made by an actual company and carried a 4 year warranty than go cheap again. I have been doing a lot of reading about the Chines made HID kits and the ballasts are the biggest weekend in them.

I would rather pay for something that is made by an actual company and carried a 4 year warranty than go cheap again. I have been doing a lot of reading about the Chines made HID kits and the ballasts are the biggest weekend in them.

*spell check*:lolsmack:

LOL, i pmed him about them when you posted this. Ive got quite a few friends that used DDM tuning for theirs and for two-three years haven't had one bit of issue.

for50 bucks you cannot go wrong AND if the ballast blows they sell the ballast kit for 15.

AND for the record, they are all made in china and all have ballast issues. :willy: my first mini had Bosch factory installed witch is pretty much the best anyone can buy and those ballast's blew twice. fortunately it was all covered under warranty because those replacement ballast's are 600 a piece. :help:

Edited by 3PedalMINI

:iagree: well thanks for backing me up 3pedalmini

:2thumbs: i have a hard time seeing what people pay for HIDs. They are all the same and made from one of two factories in china. My one friend spent 300 dollars on a set from a local car audio accessory place because he wanted to support the local business and was willing to pay a bit extra. My other friend could care less and went online and found DDM. When we helped him install them we noticed something very funny....The ballasts were identical and even though the boxes were different all the harnesses were identical.

now everyone around me uses DDM.

Edited by 3PedalMINI

if u have a prob pm me ill gove you my cell and i can walk u threw it. very easy to. just have to take ur time pulling it apart.

I really appreciate that offer, I will take you up on that if I just can't figure it out. But I suspect we should be ok!

did you get this finished yet? i'm curious to see how the silverstars in the fogs look with the HIDs.

No its actually this friday, hopefully I will get some good before and after pics!

Alright, as promised we installed the hid's tonight. After we figured out the best way we just took the air filter out and squeezed our fingers in there. It was tight and tedious but we got it. We tried the inner fender way but ran into some liners that even my father in law didn't expect that made it really tough. Not sure if its something with the denali or what but he never seen it before.

Being that we did it that way I didn't get to put the chrome parking lights in, just can't get to it without removing the fixtures.

Also I must have bought the wrong fog bulbs so my pics are with stock fogs. Took us about 2 hours total with some trial and errors. I say we could do it in half the time now that we know.

Stock

IMG_0804.jpg

Stock

IMG_0805.jpg

HID 5k

IMG_0806.jpg

HID 5k with stock fogs

IMG_0807.jpg

Edited by bjoeaull

I am very happy with the color (5K), when fired up its blue, then warms up after 10-15 seconds and turns a pretty white. They look awesome in the sierra housings. I adjusted them down a touch, and tested them on the road, didn't seem to bad on blinding light. Had my father in law sit in his truck while I drove past and he said it was fine. The sierra housing has a good cutoff built in I guess.