Customer Service 866.965.0400

Today is the Day

egott_91

Question

:pc:

Get to teach myself how to use my Porter Cable. I've watched AJ's (Junkman) vids multiple times and I think his technique is the way I'm going to go. I think I'll pop in the Adams DVD right now to compare the methods and figure out which I think would be better for me. Good thing I have afrer canvas with tons of swirls and scratches to start on and see the progress. My biggest concern is figuring out exactly when the polish flashes. I know it's when it starts to look greasy, like Vaseline, and the shine starts to come through, but it's hard to see this in videos, so we will see if I'm able to tell in person. I plan on just getting my technique perfected and knocking out the hood on my truck for now since I won't have time to do the entire truck in the time I have. It's pretty bad...hood ale may take a few hours :help:

Plan on:

Washing the hood

Clay

SHR

(step up to Severe if I'm not getting the results, it's pretty thrashed)

FMP

Quick Sealant

Buttery

Yes, I know...my hood will look awesome and the rest of the truck will be dirty. Lol. Just doing this to get my technique down so when I do have time I can knock the entire truck out. Plus I want to get the SS corrected probably before the Coly since I DD the Coly.

Any tips or ideas to help my process, besides being patient?

Thanks guys!

13 answers to this question

It's going to take time... Just do a 2x2 area and get it to the point where it's perfect or as close as you can, and move on. The hood may have small pits in the paint from sand and rocks. They can be impossible to completely get rid of in a lot of cases so don't kill yourself.

Expect it to take you a few hours on the hood alone.

Chris

Start with the 2x2 spot to test and do about that all the way around the truck. Prime the pad with detail spray and add an x of product when you need more polish just use 2 pea size drops on each side of the pad make sure to spray the pad with ds.

Every time you add polish, give the pad a spritz of DS.

It doesn't take much polish, because the pad does some of the work. The pad and polish work as a team. If you use too much polish, the pad clogs up and the correction slows down.

I will be watching this thread very closely. I pulled the trigger (pun intended :D ) and bought a PC for the Leap Day sale last month. The weather is getting good and I'm jonesing to give it a test run.

Good luck with your truck hood! :xfingers:

Mike

The weather is getting good and I'm jonesing to give it a test run.

Mike

You and me both! I know the snow wheels and tires are coming off this week though...

Every time you add polish, give the pad a spritz of DS.

It doesn't take much polish, because the pad does some of the work. The pad and polish work as a team. If you use too much polish, the pad clogs up and the correction slows down.

This is very key, Ive had a few people that I know tell me they add polish every time they take the wheel off the car and start a new section. Thats a no no and they get some nasty clogged pads. Good advice man :thumbsup:

Archived